W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oh what you learn on that first car wash!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-17-2005, 04:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oh what you learn on that first car wash!

Brought the beast home from the "stealership" (if you ride Harleys, you've no doubt heard that used before) last week. Sure you look close for dings, etc. when you take delivery, combine that with the fact that you're so excited to get the car, you truly don't closely examine the paint.

So today was the day. I got out there and sprayed the wheels with PS21 Gel. Let that soak, and dumped a few ozs of P21 Car Wash and a my sheepskin mit and went to work. Washed the car, the jambs, the wheel wells, the whole works. I used a filtered air blower (for my bikes) to knock off the loose water, then I use a large blue micro-fiber towel I bought from Larry at Car Care Specialties in NJ (a little plug for him - he's on the web).

Anyway, all is well until I notice little yellow-orangey rust spots here and there. I used a pre-cleaner wax to remove it, and it came off but what a pain. The truth is that the stealers (dealers?) could care less about the detail of the car on delivery. Seems that a wash and a crappy wax is sufficient.

What really drives me nuts is when the dealer gets wax on the rear black plastic valance (where the exhaust pipes are). What are you guys using to remove wax haze? I tried One-Grand brand Tar, Wax and Bug Remover, but that failed. Also, if you are a detailed detailer, I notice that the chrome trim strips were all spotted when I took delivery. That was an easy fix with some good liquid chrome polish.

I am using the Wurtz foam glass cleaner on my Pano roof and black pillars. Works nice.

I think the clay bar may be the way to go next weekend, when I get real serious about doing the car right.

Have any good detailing ideas to share?
Old 04-17-2005, 04:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2007 CLS63 030
You may laugh at this or cry but to get the haze off use a fresh cup of coffee...Place it on a cloth and rub. Coffee is a GREAT cleaner of non porus materials. It will kill carpets but it can take oil, tar, smudge , bird poop..etc of the body and chrome. It works on the tail pipes real nice as they develop a coat of solids from the exhaust. Gasoline works well too, amonia and water as well. You can use olive oil, canola , corn to rub on the tires, wont degrade the rubber like some commercial agents detailers use. Ammonia concentrated while tuff on the eyes and nose cleans glass amazingly. Next time you forget to drink all the morning coffee do not just dump it, try some on the pipes that greasy film will vanish.
Old 04-17-2005, 08:24 PM

03 E500
You can use Dawn (that stuff for washing dishes).
It is a safe way completely remove wax and other oily residue from a car, yet gentle on the paint. Be sure to re-wax your car with Zaino afterwards.
Old 04-17-2005, 08:38 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by mastiffdog
Brought the beast home from the "stealership" (if you ride Harleys, you've no doubt heard that used before) last week. Sure you look close for dings, etc. when you take delivery, combine that with the fact that you're so excited to get the car, you truly don't closely examine the paint.

So today was the day. I got out there and sprayed the wheels with PS21 Gel. Let that soak, and dumped a few ozs of P21 Car Wash and a my sheepskin mit and went to work. Washed the car, the jambs, the wheel wells, the whole works. I used a filtered air blower (for my bikes) to knock off the loose water, then I use a large blue micro-fiber towel I bought from Larry at Car Care Specialties in NJ (a little plug for him - he's on the web).

Anyway, all is well until I notice little yellow-orangey rust spots here and there. I used a pre-cleaner wax to remove it, and it came off but what a pain. The truth is that the stealers (dealers?) could care less about the detail of the car on delivery. Seems that a wash and a crappy wax is sufficient.

What really drives me nuts is when the dealer gets wax on the rear black plastic valance (where the exhaust pipes are). What are you guys using to remove wax haze? I tried One-Grand brand Tar, Wax and Bug Remover, but that failed. Also, if you are a detailed detailer, I notice that the chrome trim strips were all spotted when I took delivery. That was an easy fix with some good liquid chrome polish.

I am using the Wurtz foam glass cleaner on my Pano roof and black pillars. Works nice.

I think the clay bar may be the way to go next weekend, when I get real serious about doing the car right.

Have any good detailing ideas to share?
im dizzy with all those products you got goin. your shi* must freakin shine 24/7. i use mr clean car wash system, a gun filled with soap and a filter, and a mit. take the car to the detailer 3x a year. love my car, hate to wax!!!
Old 04-18-2005, 01:42 PM

E55
juicee55 - no way I'd put that stuff on my car finish! Just because gasoline doesn't peel the paint off doesn't mean it's good for it. That's more a testament to the durability of the paint that it can survive all that stuff. Coffee will stain light finishes if left long enough.

P.S I used to do auto body repair in my younger days.
Old 04-18-2005, 03:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2007 CLS63 030
I was wondering why my car was turning colors..hehehe ... The cleanup process using GAS is only in the event you have a heavy layer of carbonization on yer tailpipes..Coffee should be wiped off but no way will it penetrate the poly based paint of a modern vehicle, bird excrement can, so can mineral deposits. Ph levels can be tested with ph strips, you should make sure you are washing your car with water containing low mineral (soft). But you are correct the products I mention are meant to be removed upon application. Gasoline evaporates almost as quickly as you can apply it..
Old 04-18-2005, 06:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
MY17 E43 Matte Selenite/Macchiato Beige, MY16 GLE350d Tenorite/Crystal Grey, MY17 B250
Originally Posted by mastiffdog
It sounds like you are describing rail dust - tiny metal particles that get embedded in the paint and rust. A clay bar is definitely the best/safest way to remove rail dust.

- Ryan