Just brought the E55 Home

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-18-2005, 02:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
'03 G500, '13 G63, '17 GLS63,
Just brought the E55 Home

Well, I just got home last night with my new-to-me E55. I picked up my Tectite from Raj with VIP Imports in Houston to drive back to El Paso, stopping in Austin for 2 nights of fun followed by 550 miles of TX highway. Best road trip ever.
I recently sold my single turbo MKIV Supra in order to make some improvements on my new house. It was interesting to find Raj owned a grey single turbo MKIV and he also had another black '95 (the cleanest Supra I've ever seen!!!) in his garage parked next to my E55, which was under a car cover. As a huge Supra fan, I drooled over the black single MKIV until the cover was pulled off of my E55. As soon as that happened, it was like the Supras didn't exist. Aside from a mixup regarding the absence of bi-xenons, the car's appearance was as described: PERFECT!!! The Tectite looks 10x better in person than in the pictures. Nice change from the black and silver ones I've seen around, not that there are that many. Coming from an M3, it is a totally different animal. it is missing much of the tossability and directness, but replaces it with downright plushness and explosive power (for a stock car). As my tastes evolve, I find this is a much better fit for me than the 996TT I had considered before, especially with my first child on the way. Now I know what I've been missing!! It's like a modern day Buick GSX.
Only one thing about this car is bugging me, which is a strange vibration that begins around 75-80mph. Doesn't shake the wheel, but you can definitely feel it throughout the vehicle. Kind of like the wheels are out of balance, but it seems to cycle from very faint to more pronounced, then very faint, etc. Could this just be the wheels maybe, or something else?
-Isaac

Last edited by medici78; 04-18-2005 at 05:58 PM.
Old 04-18-2005, 03:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2007 CLS63 030
Sounds like a fun trip.. As far as the vibration, dunno? Better get her checked out by a pro, prior to exceeding 100mph, something is amiss on your vehicle. My 55 at 75 can put you fast asleep. Try adjusting your airmatic, turn off sport and go to d/c see if the vibration stops in a certain mode, I know the vehicle lowers itself at about the speed you described maybe there is a problem with the airmatics.
Old 04-18-2005, 03:31 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
W221
Congrats on the new ride!~!
Old 04-18-2005, 04:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 335 vert, 2004 MDX
What kind of tires do you have on? There have been lots of complaints about the stock Contis on this forum with problems similar to this. Mine have been fine so far (1153 mi, but who's counting).
Old 04-18-2005, 04:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by xraymd
What kind of tires do you have on? There have been lots of complaints about the stock Contis on this forum with problems similar to this. Mine have been fine so far (1153 mi, but who's counting).
Stock Continental. Mileage was 4660 when I picked it up on Friday, now its about 5600. I doubt its the airmatic, cuz the car rides great and I had a pre-purchase inspection done. Of course, I doubt they took the vehicle up to 80 MPH when they did it. We averaged around 90-110 most of the way and had it up to 140, but I didn't want to push it further. It was more an annoyance than anything, but it does bug the ***** out of me, considering how new and expensive it is. I'll be pissed if I have to replace these tires already. I just want to cover the bases before I have a local shop check them out and charge me labor for it.
Old 04-18-2005, 10:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
07 S65
Congrats on your car. I have the same problem as you with my 04. Mine vibration is very faint all the time. Had the tires balanced at the dealer when that's what they thought was wrong and, that's not the problem. Who knows??? Funny thing is, I bought your car from VIP before I bought my car. We had a mix up with the navigation system and I backed out of the deal. Did that car have NAV? Also I came out of an M3 to get into the E55. I love the color your car, I thought the color looked awesome and different.

Derrick
Old 04-19-2005, 02:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by DJe55
Congrats on your car. I have the same problem as you with my 04. Mine vibration is very faint all the time. Had the tires balanced at the dealer when that's what they thought was wrong and, that's not the problem. Who knows??? Funny thing is, I bought your car from VIP before I bought my car. We had a mix up with the navigation system and I backed out of the deal. Did that car have NAV? Also I came out of an M3 to get into the E55. I love the color your car, I thought the color looked awesome and different.

Derrick
No nav. I'm just gonna order one from mbenznl. The mixup we had was with the absence of bi-xenons, so he agreed to drop the price accordingly. I just couldn't pass up the color. Funny thing is, I ordered the bi-xenon retrofit, and now that I have the car in my possession I don't really feel I need it anymore. The halogen lights look close enough to bi-xenon to me.
Hearing this stuff about not figuring out the vibration is starting to really worry me. I'm gonna try to get the local dealer to check it out. I just hope they don't look differently on me since I bought the car elsewhere.