M5 vs E55 handling question...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-19-2005, 01:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
M5 vs E55 handling question...

Okay, so curb weight of new M5 is 3868.....E55 runs 4087...that is a difference of 219lb which is basically no big difference.

The M5 is getting incredible reviews with the usual "corners on rails" lines.....so we do know it IS possible for a 4000lb car to be incredible on the corners.

That being said, I guess I just don't understand what the problem is with Mercedes on the handling department.....why can't we have a car that has the monster motor AND the handling of the M5. Mercedes has been an innovation leader in the automotive industry so it's not like they CAN'T figure it out.

Guess I am just not making the connection.....please don't flame...I am just asking an honest question.

Just don't understand why we always have to be stuck with the "1/4 mile only" label.....Don't get me wrong....would rather have that then curly title....but the question always remains.....why not both??

Any humane replys appreciated.....if flame war erupts....I'll just ditch the thread. I hate that S)((*)T. Makes me feel like we should all skip study hall and sneak out to find someone to buy us beer.
Old 04-19-2005, 02:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E55K
Its a Mercedes simple as that...diff marketing... Merc is more luxury comfort

Mercedes does not want to go the BMW goes...

Weight distribution, steering, srpings and shocks, thinner tyres and so on...

You can make E55 to handle better but you need to a least all above and still wont handle like M5...BMW is a drivers car...
Old 04-19-2005, 02:26 PM

Jak,

Although 200 lbs may not seem alot, it does make a difference. Especially if the weight is trimed in the right places...ie. unspring weight from wheels and suspension components.

But on the R&D side, I have the same questions, I don't know why the heck they don't develop better steering feel and just feel overall. I think BMW has managed to do both to where there is a good compromise. I think the E39 5's were a good example. The new 5 has been plauged with ride problems due to run flats and steering feel problems due to Active Steering.

I give you props for asking the questions that many are afraid to ask...I await the response of members who might have an answer to your question.
Old 04-19-2005, 02:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
1951 Caterpiller D6
I agree. MB has always been luxury first and performance second. That is not to say that MB doesn't know how to make a car perform. It means that they are willing to give up a little performance in favor of a smoother, quieter, more elegant ride.

Compare the SLR to its competition (Porsche GT, Enzo, etc.) and you can see exactly what I mean.
Old 04-19-2005, 02:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'07 Porsche 997TT
Jack, I agree with you and have been asking the same question for a long time. In fact I asked the same exact question to Rob Allen at last year's AMG challenge in Miami. Like you said, AMG could make this car handle like a go-cart if they wanted to! Rob's answer: "...because this is how they want it". I think (hope) that they are starting to come around, based on what I've heard about the improved feel/handling of the CLS (too bad I just can't get used to the looks of that car).

Every review of every AMG/MB car will have the same complaint. Lack of feel, handling, etc. You'd think MB would get sick of hearing that? I think until recently there were quite a few AMG customers that really did not care about perf. the way some of us do. They wanted a Benz, had the $$ and that was it. Not to sound sexist, but I see a lot of women driving AMG cars. (and you were worried about being flamed, LOL. I may get banned!); just a much "wider" demographic than the M cars. We hate to hear when the M guys talk about the "old guys, women" etc. driving AMG's, but they've been right. I think more M5 owners are more into "driving" than most AMG customers. I think that is definitely changing though. Even this board has gotten a lot younger in the last year, with a lot more talk about performance. I think that's great and I hope MB is listening. Everyone is talking about the next engine for the E55. We should hope they create a chasis as good as the powerplant.

If MB refuses to get away from their luxury first mentality perhaps they should offer a "sport" option for the cars.
Old 04-19-2005, 02:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
'03 G500, '13 G63, '17 GLS63,
4-door sports car=BMW M5
comfortable musclecar=M-B E55
Old 04-19-2005, 02:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55K
It test btw M5 and CLS 55 or E55...They say even in 55 harder suspension setting, M5 most comfortable setting, M5 ride is still harsher...Less comfort better handling...
Old 04-19-2005, 03:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
Starting to get it now......Benz COULD make a car that would beat the M5, but would kill the target audience....people wanting a comfortable luxury car with some snot. Last thing I would want is to be banging all over the place in an ultra stiff suspension and when one of my wife's molars fell out "sorry but hey, it handles really nice around corners" Not like the M5 is like that, but it just HAS to be a more rough ride than the Beast. Basic fundamentals of handling I guess.

Well it (our beast) certainly doesn't handle like a minivan or anything....think our road course guys proved that.....I'm happy.
Old 04-19-2005, 04:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'07 Porsche 997TT
I think there is sometimes confusion about handling or feel/feedback. I think the complaint most people have about MB has more to do with the feel or lack of feedback than the absolute handling of the car. I think MB could improve upon this without sacrificing the ride.
Old 04-19-2005, 04:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
06 SL65 / 97 993tt /11 Suburban/ 2012 GTR (AMG è la mia Famiglia la Bestia è la mia protezione)
Originally Posted by cte430
I think there is sometimes confusion about handling or feel/feedback. I think the complaint most people have about MB has more to do with the feel or lack of feedback than the absolute handling of the car. I think MB could improve upon this without sacrificing the ride.
I do think MB/AMG is turning the corner with the CLS55, SLK55, and C55. They are recognizing that more AMG customers are steering towards more of a "driving" car. I think that they are making compromises between driving feel and comfort (look at the tires that come as stock Conti's for our 55's...thats the start of the compromise).

That is why most people who want a better handling car change the tires and lower the ride height (lower cg). It just so happens that the E55 may have been on the backend of development because it came before the CLS/SLK/C. Hopefully, we will catch up it terms of getting a proper balance between ride/drivability/power.

In the end, I love my E55. I open my garage every morning and fall in lust all over again...with the M5 I'd have to explain to myself it really is the ultimate driving car and that the exterior/interior are an acquired taste that shouldn't be an important part of the equation in owning one.
Old 04-19-2005, 04:34 PM
Banned

i love to mod (shocker) but like the path of least resistance. in 03 the beast was it, nothing else was close with a warranty, with that power, in that price range. put $250 to lower it, slap on some 19's and hit the stiff button and im blastin around the solo2 track just fine. i dont get the feel and feedback bs anyway. i know how to take corners and point the car that way. when the rear end starts to break loose i correct, simple. if i wanted a 1g rail car id buy an new c6 z06! no wait, i am seriously though

my e55=driver car
my e55=solo2 racer
my e55=cross country cruiser
my e55=sunday driver, and absolutely love every gorgeous line on it!
Old 04-19-2005, 04:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
06 SL65 / 97 993tt /11 Suburban/ 2012 GTR (AMG è la mia Famiglia la Bestia è la mia protezione)
Originally Posted by Peter B
i love to mod (shocker) but like the path of least resistance. in 03 the beast was it, nothing else was close with a warranty, with that power, in that price range. put $250 to lower it, slap on some 19's and hit the stiff button and im blastin around the solo2 track just fine. i dont get the feel and feedback bs anyway. i know how to take corners and point the car that way. when the rear end starts to break loose i correct, simple. if i wanted a 1g rail car id buy an new c6 z06! no wait, i am seriously though

my e55=driver car
my e55=solo2 racer
my e55=cross country cruiser
my e55=sunday driver, and absolutely love every gorgeous line on it!
Old 04-19-2005, 05:25 PM

04 E55 & 04 Armada
I agree with pretty much everything you guys are saying about the handling of the car, I used to drive a lowered Porsche and before that an E36 M3, both excellent in the handling department. Moving over to the E55, my biggest complaint is the like you guys the steering feel. And for me even worse the slow steering when doing those 90 degree turns. One thing I have started doing recently is trying to forget that its a Mercedes that I'm driving, and really putting a little bit more elbow grease in it and just driving the care like I hate it. My fun quotient has gone up considerably. I know these aren't the best handling cars, but if you toss them around like you would an M3 or a 911, then you can pretty much get 80% may be even 90% of the fun you would have had in those cars out of these...just my 2 cents..