Sponsored by:

Intercoolers

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-21-2005, 01:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Intercoolers

So the Kleemann intercooler mades no gains but the Evo does. Anyone know why?
Old 04-21-2005, 01:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C32 AMG
I am not sure if Kleemann offers an additional heat exchanger. Our Kompressor Cooling Upgrade Package comes with a bigger pump and additional heat exchanger. With exta cooling capacity the air charge temperature is a lot more stable and DME does not need to pull timing out to prevent detonation.
Old 04-21-2005, 02:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
'03 G500, '13 G63, '17 GLS63,
Originally Posted by DerekFSU
So the Kleemann intercooler mades no gains but the Evo does. Anyone know why?
Where did you get this info?
Also, would the Evosport upgrade void my warranty if I added it, and nothing else?
Old 04-21-2005, 02:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I saw the Evosport claim made here the other day and I heard about the Kleemann intercooler from my Kleemann installer.
https://mbworld.org/forums/showpost....76&postcount=9
Old 04-22-2005, 01:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

211 E55(sold) & 80cc shifter kart
I don't know if your really going to get much hp out of it but I have researched why I blew a engine up last summer alot, and keep comming up with engine heat levels caused it. I will be getting the cooling up grade soon! If you ask around enough you'll find out that there's more than a few V-8's kompressors that have gone up in smoke!
I have personally heard of 5.
Old 04-22-2005, 03:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55K
In order not too blew up!!!

What do I need to get??? 1st headers, electric hih presure water pump, larger cooler...

I have been told by Kleemann that headers are the best solution and even better with whole exhaust....Bring temp down from 880 (which is very HOT) to 760...

So 1st mod I'll be getting is headers...

Do freeflowing air filters help???
Old 04-22-2005, 06:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Where's Kleemann on this? Evosport claims HP gains with the same mod the Kleemann does not. We've heard from Evosport, what about Kleemann.

Vadim, what is the HP gain with the Evosport intercooler?
Old 04-22-2005, 07:06 AM

04E55AMG, 05Dodge RAM 1500 Quad Cab, 02Montero Limited
Originally Posted by DerekFSU
Where's Kleemann on this? Evosport claims HP gains with the same mod the Kleemann does not. We've heard from Evosport, what about Kleemann.

Vadim, what is the HP gain with the Evosport intercooler?

Spoke with Cory the other day. They are in the final stages of testing to see if any real HP gains are present (same idea as Evosport). If not, they will just go with the larger H20 pump design and leave it at that which will keep the install and the price lower (swap out stock pump for larger).

When they added the larger pump to Jackpro and other cars they saw consistent dyno numbers even after many runs. The main reason for this mod is being able to get the car to maximize its performance (stock or modded).
Old 04-22-2005, 11:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
So far, I just could not be happier with my high flow pump. When I was playing with a new 745 on the highway the other day....I drove about 5-10 miles with the motor in nice low gear and engine R's higher just waiting for him to make his move. That alone is enough to make modded 55's run hot as the sun....but temp just stays nice and level.

Kleemann told me that they ran my car on the dyno 4 times in a row up to 190+mph and each time....NO loss of HP. Temp stayed rock solid.

I must admit EVO system looks sweet and someday, maybe I will take the trip to LA to get the full shooting match. EVO told me it's a bear of a job for full kit....9 hours their time...and they are the pros..imagine us in the garage.

Anyway, I think pump is possible in the garage though, probably a few hours for someone with some skill. Just make sure you know your S()t...you lose water pump....kiss your AMG motor's A$$ goodbye.

Tomorrow is the big day....will watch the temp gauge and let you know how she does...gonna drag the heck outta her under sun and 75 degrees temps....test and tune is during the day here.
Old 04-22-2005, 01:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
We see around 15-20HP gains from higher capacity and bigger pump. The gains are mainly at the top, due to significantly slower temperature rise as rpms increase. I will post some dynos shortly.

Also, if the fluid pump dies, DME will disengage the compressor clutch if intake air temperature reaches 255F, and it will re-engage at 155F, as a safety.
Old 04-22-2005, 03:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
'03 G500, '13 G63, '17 GLS63,
Originally Posted by Vadim @ evosport
We see around 15-20HP gains from higher capacity and bigger pump. The gains are mainly at the top, due to significantly slower temperature rise as rpms increase. I will post some dynos shortly.

Also, if the fluid pump dies, DME will disengage the compressor clutch if intake air temperature reaches 255F, and it will re-engage at 155F, as a safety.
Can't wait to see the dynos!!
Old 01-18-2006, 07:12 PM

Sorry to resurrect this thread but as I was trying to search the E55 forum for more info on the Evo Sport or Kleemann cooling package.

I have seen the Evo Sport cooling package on their website but I could not find the link for Kleemann one on their own website. I know a few members have the Kleemann one and have been just as happy with it as those who have the Evo Sport ones, but I can't seem to track down any more info.

Specifically I want to know what comes with the Kleemann cooling package to compare it to Evo Sports cooling package.

Any feedback will be appreciated.
Old 01-18-2006, 07:48 PM

2010 ZR1 2011 JGC Overland 2013 ML63 on order
The Kleemann cooling package comes with a large high volume pump Johnson to recirculate the fluid waaaaay better than stock. This mod does not make power but keeps back to back runs on the dyno and track very consistant.

Cost for the pump kit is only 800 bucks plus installation which happens to be a breeze compared to the EVO kit. I'm having K2 plus the Kleemann I/C pump put on my car at this very moment.

IMHO the Kleemann pump is the way to go..
Old 01-18-2006, 08:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W221 S65 AMG
I had 3 dynos back to back in 15 minutes time and each time I kept gaining power not losing it...but then again I started playing with the cut-outs to find optimal power.

5 V8 motors have blow up? WTF?? I would like to know more about the situation but would suspect alot were stock, did auto-x, and may have had faulty stock bosch water pumps.... my $0.02 cents.
Old 01-18-2006, 11:34 PM

Originally Posted by Tony007
This mod does not make power but keeps back to back runs on the dyno and track very consistant.

This is the reason for me wanting to do this mod. Would it be fair to say that the Evo Sport one is overkill?

For those of you who have done this mod, what made you decide on the Evo Sport or the Kleemann one? The way it looks now the Evo Sport i/c package is about 3k + $900 for install and the Kleemann i/c package is about $800 + $400 for install.

I don't want this to turn into a Evo Sport v. Kleemann, I just want to buy an i/c package with confidence no mattter who I buy from. If both do the trick then it comes down to spending close to 4k or $1,500.
Old 01-19-2006, 07:58 AM

2010 ZR1 2011 JGC Overland 2013 ML63 on order
I wouldn't say the Evosport I/C kit is overkill. Just the opposite, it's not enough cooling and hp gains for the amount of $$ that the kit costs.

I spoke with Evosport two days ago and they said they are working on an SLR type of intercooler kit for these cars that will be released in 07' and should blow the doors off the kit they are offering now. They offered no speculation as to pricing on this new kit either. But you bet it will be ALOT more $$$$ than their current kit but he said it will make REAL POWER!!!!

This was my reasoning behind selecting the Kleemann pump kit now, no hp gains but reliable consistant power plus it costs very little money for nearly fixing the heat soak issue altogether.

When the time comes for that new Evosport kit to be released, that's when I will be putting my thinking cap on again..
Old 01-19-2006, 08:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E 55

This was my reasoning behind selecting the Kleemann pump kit now, no hp gains but reliable consistent power plus it costs very little money for nearly fixing the heat soak issue altogether.

When the time comes for that new Evosport kit to be released, that's when I will be putting my thinking cap on again..
I'm not getting the same results here in Miami. I have the johnson pump installed and it worked great with stock boost levels but once I did the pulley the car loses 40hp on back to back dyno's. The ambient temp was almost 84 degrees on the dyno.

Engine temps tell you nothing about IC pump efficiency, hook up a scanner and read IAT's. On back to back runs my IAT goes from a steady 120 to 170. The pump is definitely flowing a lot of coolant but the stock heat exchanger is not enough, at least not were I live.

My pump is wired of ignition so its running all the time. At the track with the pulley's its crossing at 188-190 on the scanner.

I have also done some high speed runs from 0 to 170 mph netting the same results once the IAT's get to the 180's they stay pretty constant.

Again these are the results I'm getting somebody else might be getting better results.
Old 01-19-2006, 10:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
No longer stock '06 E55, A3 3.2 Quattro, LRD4 HSE, R107 280SL
Ambient temps

Has anyone figured out at what ambient temps the current cooling system works OK?

Rgds Steve.
Old 01-19-2006, 05:35 PM

I wouldn't say the Evosport I/C kit is overkill. Just the opposite, it's not enough cooling and hp gains for the amount of $$ that the kit costs.

I spoke with Evosport two days ago and they said they are working on an SLR type of intercooler kit for these cars that will be released in 07' and should blow the doors off the kit they are offering now. They offered no speculation as to pricing on this new kit either. But you bet it will be ALOT more $$$$ than their current kit but he said it will make REAL POWER!!!!

This was my reasoning behind selecting the Kleemann pump kit now, no hp gains but reliable consistant power plus it costs very little money for nearly fixing the heat soak issue altogether.

This post requires some clarification. The current Evo kit is not an intercooler kit. It is an auxilliary heat exchanger that mounts in front of the radiator. Included in the kit is the heat exchanger and a high-volume IC water pump, and part of the installation process is isolating the IC cooling system from the engine cooling system. It will provide much more intake air cooling capacity than just a repacement pump.

The SLR-type IC will replace (or be used in addition to) the current IC, which mounts under the supercharger.

The two Evo kits you refer to are different animals and should not be compared to each other. Installing both kits, when available, will give the maximum cooling capacity and will allow for more boost before heat soak problems occur.

Last edited by Grumpy666; 01-19-2006 at 10:12 PM.
Old 01-19-2006, 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by Grumpy666
This post requires some clarification. The current Evo kit is not an intercooler kit. It is an auxilliary heat exchanger that mounts in front of the radiator. Included in the kit is the heat exchanger and a high-volume IC water pump, and part of the installation process is isolationing the IC cooling system from the engine cooling system. It will provide much more intake air cooling capacity than just a repacement pump.

The SLR-type IC will replace (or be used in addition to) the current IC, which mounts under the supercharger.

The two Evo kits you refer to are different animals and should not be compared to each other. Installing both kits, when available, will give the maximum cooling capacity and will allow for more boost before heat soak problems occur.

For what's available now, is the Kleemann version with the larger Johnson pump for about $1,500 installed sufficient for dyno and 1/4 mile runs or will it be necessary to take the Evo Sport route that has the auxiliary heat exchanger for roughly $3,500 - $4k?

Please keep in mind that I am only considering this mod for dyno and 1/4 mile runs that seem to build up a lot of heat when consistently running back to back.
Old 01-20-2006, 05:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
No longer stock '06 E55, A3 3.2 Quattro, LRD4 HSE, R107 280SL
Can you guys clarify for me how the SLR IC setup differs from ours ?

I reckon whether you need the upgrade or not depends on what ambient temps u are running at. If you run in temps 80-85 back to back qtr runs you gonna be toast even with bigger pump - then you will def need the additional heat exchanger.

Rgds Steve.
Old 01-20-2006, 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by AMG BLISS
For what's available now, is the Kleemann version with the larger Johnson pump for about $1,500 installed sufficient for dyno and 1/4 mile runs or will it be necessary to take the Evo Sport route that has the auxiliary heat exchanger for roughly $3,500 - $4k?

Please keep in mind that I am only considering this mod for dyno and 1/4 mile runs that seem to build up a lot of heat when consistently running back to back.
AFAIK, both systems use the same Johnson pump. Whether or not the pump-only is adequate for you will be determined by your individual conditions. If you're in a hot climate - probably not, since it only increases flow w/o providing additional cooling area. This is a case where paying more will actually get you more.
Old 01-20-2006, 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by stevebez
Can you guys clarify for me how the SLR IC setup differs from ours ?
The SLR uses dual intercoolers that sit on top of the engine off to either side of the SC. The standard IC sits under the SC. The following pic shows the SLR ICs - they're the two black boxes straddling the SC.

Old 01-21-2006, 01:20 AM
Vadim-SoCal

At the track with the pulley's its crossing at 188-190 on the scanner.

I have also done some high speed runs from 0 to 170 mph netting the same results once the IAT's get to the 180's they stay pretty constant.
These results are about typical for 70F degree day.

When I designed Cooling Upgrade for evosport, pump was the first item to be upgraded. Johnson 90LPM pump is the biggest 12V pump one can buy.

However, by itself it is not enough. This is why I ended up adding an additional cooler that increases cooling capacity by 65%. With heat spacers for intake surge tanks, I saw another 40F drop in charge temps during 1/4 mile run.

As far as SLR style intercooler, it is still under consideration. R&D and production costs will likely make it a very expensive upgrade. If you are interested please drop me a PM. If produced it will be available through evosport.
Old 01-21-2006, 01:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E 55
Originally Posted by Vadim-SoCal
These results are about typical for 70F degree day.

When I designed Cooling Upgrade for evosport, pump was the first item to be upgraded. Johnson 90LPM pump is the biggest 12V pump one can buy.

However, by itself it is not enough. This is why I ended up adding an additional cooler that increases cooling capacity by 65%. With heat spacers for intake surge tanks, I saw another 40F drop in charge temps during 1/4 mile run.

As far as SLR style intercooler, it is still under consideration. R&D and production costs will likely make it a very expensive upgrade. If you are interested please drop me a PM. If produced it will be available through evosport.
I agree that your system has to work better than pump alone. There is a certain point on the map were it pulls timing due to iat's not just detonation. My car runs good to the 1/8 then lays over, the mph doesn't add up.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Intercoolers