Sponsored by:

E55 vs M5 rolling runs: Torque vs Gearing

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-04-2005, 12:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ALPINA B12 5,7 Coupe #22/57
Originally Posted by Improviz
..........and dramatically improves acceleration, or compare the acceleration times for the five speed S500 with the seven speed S500. The car picked up nearly a half second in 0-60 and 1/4 mile times compared to the five speed.
What was the difference in time to 125 mph and what was the 0-60 and 1/4 times.
Old 05-04-2005, 12:56 PM
Banned

Never said it was; I was simply arguing Gustav's point that mass doesn't matter at higher speeds. Clearly, it does, particularly with two cars whose Cds are relatively close...my point was that the M5 doesn't have an aerodynamic advantage over the E55 which would allow one to dismiss mass, and that in fact the reverse was true.

If your car's gearing is set up to take advantage of the car's horsepower, you mean...but in this case the M5 enjoys its one clear advantage: two more gears.

Read the new Car & Driver for a discussion about how in the new SLK55, which weighs more than the previous one and has only six more rated horsepower, still managed to pull over 1/2 second faster in the 1/4, and was significantly faster in all 0-xxx times. Why? The magazine concluded the extra two gears did it, along with the extra torque.

No mystery here...like all BMWs, the M5 is geared far more agressively than Mercedes products. And having two extra gears allows the engine to be kept in the peak power zone more efficiently, as there is not as big of a drop off in gear ratios in the upper reaches. Once the E55 et al shift to a seven speed, this advantage will be negated.

Yes, but the M5 has way more gearing. If the E55 had the same gear & final drive ratios as the M5, we wouldn't even be having this discussion.

Except that the torque multiplication due to the gearing is less. Look at the following for each car, from fastsaloons.com. It gives the gear ratio, and mph/1000 rpm, for each car, although for some reason, it omits seventh gear for the M:

BMW 5 series M5 (E60 (05-)) 3.99/5.5 mph 2.65/8.3 mph 1.81/12.2 mph 1.39/15.9 mph 1.16/19.1 mph 1.00/22.1 mph

Mercedes E class E55 AMG (211 (02 - )) 3.59/7.9 mph 2.19/13.0 mph 1.41/20.1 mph 1.00/28.4 mph 0.83/34.2 mph

I used 8,000 redline for M5, and 6,500 for E55. Please correct me if I'm wrong, don't have either one in front of me and am going from memory, but they're close.

M5:
mph/1000 5.5 8.3 12.2 15.9 19.1 22.1
max spd 44.0 66.4 97.6 127.2 152.8 176.8

E55:
mph/1000 7.9 13.0 20.1 28.4 34.2
max spd 51.4 84.5 130.7 184.6 222.3

So, look at what happens: first is close, second is a bit further, but third and up is quite dramatic. Ratio-wise (M5/E55, giving a percentage of torque multiplication per gear), we have:

1st: 0.69
2nd: 0.64
3rd: 0.61
4th: 0.56 <-- looky here!
5th: 0.56

So, The discrepency in gearing does grow larger at higher speeds.

Interestingly enough, dividing the M5's max torque of 370 (memory again) by E55's max torque of (memory again) 550 lb-ft gives 67%. So, as long as the gearing is such that the E55's gearing has 67%, acceleration should be pretty equal. Once this drops off, surprise surprise surprise, physics still works, and the M5 will start to enjoy a torque multiplication advantage. This doesn't become pronounced until fourth gear, which does gel with what we see on the video.

But guess what: look at the spacings on the seven speed Benz auto and see how they compare. Advantage = gone. Enjoy it while it lasts.

Sample size = 1. Per your earlier post, it is not scientifically valid to make an absolute claim based upon one data point, particularly when there are other variables (E55 starting in second rather than first if in auto mode, E55 driver not shifting properly if in manual mode, poor gasoline, etc.) which could have affected the outcome.

But yes, based upon its gearing, the M has an advantage in torque multiplication at all speeds, but particularly above 100 where percentage tips to one greater than engine torque discrepancy can cover. But it also has a disadvantage aerodynamically. I do suspect that at triple digit speeds above 130, it will enjoy an advantage, but would be surprised if actual test results show a large gap.

Finally, the tested 0-125 times for these cars are only 0.8 apart. Per my earlier posts, I have not seen one instance, even in comparisons of cars faster than these, wherein a car with an 0.8 advantage in 0-125 was more than 0.1 or 0.2 faster in the 1/4 mile, and in many cases not even that. But again, we will see when tests come out....which hopefully won't be long, but BMW seems in no hurry to release the M stateside.

The reason the thread will not die is because certain people insist in seeing this test not as an unscientific test run with unknown conditions inside the E55 (and M5), but as The Absolute Final Last Word on the subject. It is not, and I and many others will be awaiting instrumented test results on time to distance testing, as the time to speed testing posted so far simply does not point to a huge time-distance advantage for the M.

We shall see. Like you, I am an Engineer, and I prefer objective instrumented data generated under controlled conditions. If the M comes out faster under such conditions, fine, but for the aforementioned reasons I am unwilling to make a sweeping general statement for all data points based upon a sample size of one.

Obviously, the M's time-speed data are irrefutable at high speeds, but I'm doubting that the time-distance will be significant, and am betting that 1/4 mile speeds will be a tenth or two apart max, if that.

We shall see...

hey impro, since a lot of people here do the easy 80hp 80tq mod, what does this (scientifically) do to the ratios etc if the mb is putting down 620-630 tq? tia.
Old 05-04-2005, 03:46 PM
M&M

Wrong as usual. The Mercedes 5.5L kompressor motor has peak horsepower at 6100 rpm, 400 short of redline. The M5 makes peak horsepower at 7750 rpm, 450 rpm short of redline.
Yeah but have you seen the curves after peak? M5 holds the power while the 5.5 drops off big time. Just a function of high revving NA vs SC.

Now, Impro-man as much as I'd love to take your word for it I can't find any evidence that the 7-speed has made any car faster. IF you find any data please post as I have found nothing. The SLK32 vs SLK55 is not an ideal example as they are totally different engines & the 55 has a lot more power & torque.

What we need are 2 identical cars, one with the 5-speed & one with the 7. The E500, SL500 will do. I found some tests:

5-speed SL500

http://www.einszweidrei.de/mercedes/sl5002001-1.htm

Supertest in sport auto 12/2001
Gewicht 1852 kg
0 - 80 km/h 4,7 s
0 - 100 km/h 6,5 s
0 - 120 km/h 8,8 s
0 - 140 km/h 11,5 s
0 - 160 km/h 14,6 s
0 - 180 km/h 18,4 s

7-speed SL500

http://www.einszweidrei.de/mercedes/sl5002005-1.htm

Test in ams Testjahrbuch 2005
Gewicht 1879 kg
0 - 80 km/h 4,4 s
0 - 100 km/h 6,3 s
0 - 120 km/h 8,5 s
0 - 130 km/h 9,8 s
0 - 140 km/h 11,5 s
0 - 160 km/h 15,0 s
0 - 180 km/h 19,3 s

Same mag tested both & 5-speed was significantly quicker. Want more?

I don't know if you know but gears 6 & 7 are overdrive for better gas mileage, ratios are 0.82 & 0.73 respectively. So actually it is more like 5 racing gears vs 4.

Also the main emphasis in all MErc's marketing statements seem to be around gas mileage. Allow me to elaborate:

http://www.mercedes-benz.com/mbcom/i.../7gtronic.html

7G-TRONIC 7-speed automatic transmission
The new 7G-TRONIC transmission is the first 7-speed automatic transmission ever fitted to a Mercedes-Benz passenger car. Its seven gears mean smaller changes in engine speed, resulting in smoother shifting. What’s more, it offers faster acceleration in kickdown by shifting down more than one gear at a time if required. The seven gears also mean fewer revs are needed on average, thus reducing fuel consumption

I know you will find some quotes to the otherwise, but I have 1st hand experience on this subject & we found changing to longer ratios makes a car with a flat curve faster in a time to distance race. When the shorter geared car changes gears you rev past him & continue to do so every time he changes gears.

An a peaky car with high rpm power that's another story. The other option is to put wild cams & breathing/lifter mods to make a car make more high rpm power. Then put a shorter ratio diff & raise the rev-limiter. That also works.

But Impro the key is that the car MUST make power at redline for this to work. If it peaks 400rpm before redline is fine as long as the power doesn't drop off too much after peak.

Putting in 2 overdrive gears & gearing for economy aren't the same thing. I'm not trying to be funny so if you find any evidence that contradicts what I'm saying I'll be glad to accept it.
Old 05-04-2005, 08:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55 AMG
Yawn...yeah, yeah, the M5's power peak comes in at 450 rpm below redline, the E55's comes in at 500 below redline, so rather than admit his previous argument was bogus, he tries to lie his way out of it with more bull**** and spin...

Hmm, who shall I listen to, a compensated BMW advocate, or Car & Driver and what I learned in Physics class? Hmm, difficult decision...

Well, let's see what Car & Driver has to say:
Originally Posted by Car & Driver
Let us introduce a previously unused AMG performance trick: Mercedes' seven-speed automatic. The German automaker introduced that transmission for 2004, but until now the most powerful engine it was bolted to was the company's 302-hp, 5.0-liter V-8, so all AMG models had to rely on the five-speed automatic. So what are a couple more gear ratios going to do? Let us explain.

The previous-generation car, the SLK32 AMG, had a supercharged and intercooled 3.2-liter V-6 putting down 349 horsepower and 322 pound-feet of torque. The last one we tested weighed 3265 pounds, scampered to 60 mph in 4.5 seconds, and crossed the quarter-mile in 13.0 seconds at 110 mph. Now, the SLK55's 24-valve, 5.4-liter naturally aspirated V-8 cranks out just six more horsepower--but an additional 54 pound-feet of torque. Still, the new car's weight is up 190 pounds to 3455, so the power-to-weight ratio has worsened slightly.

Despite this fact, the SLK55 outaccelerates its predecessor, ripping to 60 mph in 4.3 seconds and clearing the quarter in the 12s--precisely, 12.7 seconds at 111 mph--largely because of improved gearing, not just power. Still not impressed? How about this: the 400-hp Corvette in a recent comparo outguns this SLK55 by 45 horsepower and 24 pound-feet of torque, and weighs 155 fewer pounds. Yet the Vette ties the SLK at 4.3 seconds to 60 mph and loses the quarter-mile race by a 10th, 12.8 versus 12.7 seconds. And that was a six speed manual Corvette. Or consider this: the SLK55 matches its big brother E55 to 60 mph--despite the E55's 469 supercharged horsepower propelling fewer pounds per pony--and is just 0.2 slower through the quarter mile....

...With the closely spaced cogs, the engine is always kept in a sweet spot between 5000 rpm and the 6700-rpm redline; thus, acceleration is never peaky, just strong and nearly constant, with upshifts executed nearly manual-tranny quick.
But hey, what do those professionals know compared to a paid BMW brand spokesman like Monkey&Moron?

Oh, wait: then there was the CLS500 test from May 2005:

Originally Posted by Car & Driver
At 4048 pounds, our CLS500 was burdened with 79 extra pounds compared with the E500 we tested in '02. Yet armed with Mercedes' new-for-2004 seven-speed automatic, it proved to be substantially quicker, ripping from 0 to 60 in 5.5 seconds, 0.3 sooner than the five-speed E. (But a current E-class with the seven-speed would most likely match the CLS's numbers.) THe CLS500's quarter-mile time comes in at 14 seconds flat at 100 mph, putting it ahead of the E500 (14.3 at 99), and just behind the 325-hp 645Ci (13.9 at 102).
I checked, and the 645Ci referred to was a six-speed automatic. It weighed 3860 pounds--nearly 200 pounds lighter than the CLS500. It is rated at 325 horsepower, 23 more than the CLS500 (and oh, btw, its peak comes in at 6100 rpm, 400 rpm shy of redline, just like the E55, and the M5...).

This gives the 645Ci an 11.9:1 weight/horsepower ratio, compared to 13.4:1 for the CLS500--an 11% advantage.

And yet it eeked out a 0.1 second faster 1/4 mile.

And the CLS500 was 0.3 faster than the lighter E500.

No, gearing doesn't help.

The following is for people with brains. Monkey&Moron, you can skip it.

So, why does it help? Look at the ratios:

1st gear:
old: 3.56:1
new: 4.38:1
increase in torque multiplication: 23%
M5 1st gear: 3.99:1

2nd gear:
old: 2.19:1
new: 2.86:1
increase in torque multiplication: 31%
M5 2nd gear: 2.65:1

3rd gear:
old: 1.41:1
new: 1.92:1
increase in torque multiplication: 36%
M5 3rd gear: 1.81:1

4th gear:
old: 1.00:1
new: 1.37:1
increase in torque multiplication: 37%
M5 4th gear: 1.39:1

5th gear:
old: 0.83:1
new: 1.00:1
increase in torque multiplication: 21%
M5 5th gear: 1.16:1

Note that: 1) max speed in the SLK55 in fifth gear is 156 mph, as it is in M5, and will be in seven speed E55. Race being discussed here is from 125-156 mph. Hence, taller gears in Mercedes seven speed are irrelavent, because they will never be used in a race to top speed which of course Monkey&Moron knows; as usual when the facts are not on his side, he is resorting to one of his favored tactics: using yet another red herring argument to deflect attention from the central issue. And of course, even though he doubtlessly had data for gears 1 through 5 at his fingertips, he did not post it, because it pokes more holes in his argument than a gattling gun in a city bus.

Unfortunately, it won't work. Gear numbers tell the tale.

Last edited by Improviz; 05-04-2005 at 09:06 PM.
Old 05-04-2005, 10:38 PM

Instead of using torque x gearing when you can plot hp as a function of vehicle speed for the two cars in question, all you need is the peak speed in each gear at full rpms and an approximation of the power curve. The car with more hp at the same speed has more torque.

Low gearing used on a bulky transmission and driveline can affect performance in 1st and 2nd gear because of the contribution of rotational mass which only becomes less significant as the overall gear ratio gets higher(taller).
Old 05-04-2005, 11:24 PM

But hey, what do those professionals know compared to a paid BMW brand spokesman like Monkey&Moron?

Unfortunately, it won't work. Gear numbers tell the tale.
And are you the paid MB brand spokesman. Hmmm.....
Old 05-04-2005, 11:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55 AMG
Originally Posted by MikeHK
And are you the paid MB brand spokesman. Hmmm.....
No, but I haven't been trolling the forums of competing brands of Mercedes for over three years trying to **** off forum members, insult their cars, and spreading disinformation about them. M&M has done all of these things, as I documented in the following two posts, and in numerous others.

M&M trolls here in this forum, in the C55 forum, and others, at Audiworld where he disparages S4s (and has for over three years), at the South Africa Audi forum where they finally banned him, and who knows where else. Here's some history for you:

M&M's history of trolling other Internet forums under multiple user IDs;

(click here for other multiple instances of the same behavior):

Now, perhaps he is just deeply weird enough to do this sort of thing day in, day out, for three years without compensation, but ask yourself: to what end? Obviously, the goal here is to cast aspersions upon any and all BMW competitors, with the intent of hurting them and helping BMW. Would this help M&M? No. Would this help BMW? Sure. Could it, if left unchecked, affect the buying decisions of potential buyers and hurt BMW's competition? Of course. Is this the ultimate goal? Obviously. One need not be a rocket scientist to look at the persistance and length of this campaign to figure out that this is being done for reasons other than personal satisfaction.

There is a difference between I, a Mercedes enthusiast, correcting intentional disinformation in a Mercedes forum and he, a BMW advocate, coming here and to other forums all over the world to spread disinformation.

But of course, after looking up your posting history, one could see why you'd defend M&M's actions, as you're nothing but another lameass BMW troll coming here solely to stir up trouble. You guys sure seem to have a lot of issues, lol...what sort of inadequacy is it that drives you guys to constantly try to **** on others' birthday cakes? BMW...the car for neurotics.

Last edited by Improviz; 05-04-2005 at 11:56 PM.