Quick question on BMW Marketing VS Merc

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-08-2005, 09:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
Quick question on BMW Marketing VS Merc

Went to Barnes and Noble with the kids.....take a quick glance over at the car magazine section. HO LEE CRAP....it was literally 95% M5 and M6. Stars on the hoods blah blah blah...

Headlines were out of control....."500hp.....and a fricking carbon fiber roof" That was verbatim.

Surprised there wasn't a Cosmo.."150 sex secrets in an M5"
and Oprah edition "Nichole Kidmannnnnnnnn drives an M5"

My question is.....I am relatively new to Merc....are the magazines always like "OH MY GOOOOOOOOD BMW put out a new modellllll!!!!!!!.....oh yeah merc did too....its the fastest 4 door on earth (yawn) no biggee...NOW ONTO the BMW!!"

Will we at least get props when new S comes out..sheesh!
Old 06-08-2005, 11:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
'03 G500, '13 G63, '17 GLS63,
IIRC, the E55 got the same kind of press when it came out.
Old 06-08-2005, 03:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mercedes all the way!
it is true though that BMWs GENERALLY get more first-time reviews than Mercs. maybe because it is the brand of the moment. mags need to sell and most ppl out there on the street are more excited about the new BMW than the new merc. but mind you, it's likely to be Audi next. basically, no matter what magazines say at the end of the day you always go and put your money on what YOU want. i wouldn't get too worried about it.

BMW does spend quite a bit more money on their marketing though, i must say. i believe an issue of Marketing Week (UK) showed BMW spending something like twice as much in the UK last year as Merc did (do correct me if i'm wrong).

hilariously in singapore when the E60 was launched, the BMW ads were literally a copy of the Merc ads for the W211 the year before! unbelievable! Merc said "The New E-class. Everything we know about the car". BMW said "The New 5-series. Everything we know about the car... in a car". lmao.
Old 06-08-2005, 04:44 PM
MKW

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
08 GL450
The latest models gets the front cover - wouldn't you do that if you were the publisher trying to make a buck , whether it's cars or fishing rods ?
Old 06-08-2005, 07:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG
I dont care what they say i say Mercedes is still the best.... BMW = SPORT for yonge guys,

Mercedes = CLASS, Comfort, safety, more reliable, better looking, .... You can continue!!!
Old 06-08-2005, 09:57 PM

04 E55 & 04 Armada
I keep seeing that out there BMW = SPORTY for younger guys etc.. and Mercs are for old farts etc...I can't tell you how much i hate that..
I bought the E55 for one reason, it was and still is in my opinion simply the fastest 4 door method of transportation built, there i'm done. :p
Old 06-08-2005, 10:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 374 Likes on 275 Posts
2005 E55
BMW is hyped all over the place now because they dont put out new models as often as other makers.

Its been like 6 years now since they came out with a new M5.MB puts out like 3 new cars a year.

funny how some think that BMW is for sporty young guys and forget that BMW owns the phantom wich has more class than any of us could afford.
Old 06-08-2005, 11:03 PM
MKW

08 GL450
Originally Posted by BoBcanada
I dont care what they say i say Mercedes is still the best.... BMW = SPORT for yonge guys,

Mercedes = CLASS, Comfort, safety, more reliable, better looking, .... You can continue!!!
That explains the " lady who wore too much perfume " wearing the golf visor , with clubs in the back of her E320 who last time asked the service advisor next cubicle over from mine to check her tires and oil level - that's all she was in for !