Heat wrap ...where to buy?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-10-2005, 05:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W221 S65 AMG
Heat wrap ...where to buy?

Looking to heat wrap the intake plastic tubes and the downpipes...any ideas on where I can find some good heatwrap online?

Also why does no one offer a stall converter, even a mild one like 2600 rpms? It would help us launch better and cut 1.5 60-foots like the Vette's. The LSD alone will never get us lower than 1.7s.
Old 08-10-2005, 07:02 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2003 E55 AMG
I've posted a couple of times about this.. I bought from summitracing.com

- I use the adhesive backed 12x24" pieces for the air filter boxes.

- I bought 2 DEI velcro heat wrap tubes (12"x36") and use those to velcro around the intake tubes. I had Thermotec on the intake tubes, but there are too many bends on them and eventually they peel off no matter how much prep work you do.

- I bought a Thermotec 12 foot x 1" tube and cut them into 9" pieces to wrap the ignition wires.

I am all heat-wrapped up...

Hope this helps...
Old 08-11-2005, 10:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W221 S65 AMG
Victor, very helpful, thank you. It should be good for 1mph in the ET if properly shielded from all the heat. When I open the hood in the summer after a spirited run it feels like the air intake tubes are gonna melt in my hands like M&Ms

thanks again, if you have any pics please post.

I also want to wrap the downpipes coming off the headers.
Old 08-11-2005, 10:53 AM
Banned

2003 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by e55 baller
Victor, very helpful, thank you. It should be good for 1mph in the ET if properly shielded from all the heat. When I open the hood in the summer after a spirited run it feels like the air intake tubes are gonna melt in my hands like M&Ms

thanks again, if you have any pics please post.

I also want to wrap the downpipes coming off the headers.
Forgot about the downpipes.. I bought the "header wrap" in a 50ft roll in black. Its been sitting in the box next to the headers.. I plan on installing that from the downpipes and downward as far as I can go when I do the header swap.

No pics right now.. when I do the install of the stuff I have I'll snap some pics.
Old 08-11-2005, 01:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i brought mine thermal wraps from summitracing and it was a good experience. they even throw in some free stuff. just go to their website and search for DEI.

make sure you soak wrap in water first. good luck.
Old 08-11-2005, 02:57 PM
Banned

2003 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by waldis
i brought mine thermal wraps from summitracing and it was a good experience. they even throw in some free stuff. just go to their website and search for DEI.

make sure you soak wrap in water first. good luck.
soak which ones in water?? The material header wrap??
Old 08-15-2005, 10:43 PM

yes the header wrap. this will allow you to work with the material easier. make sure to pull on the wrap hard enough and tighten it at each turn. make sure to do an overlay and secure it with steel wire or ss zip ties. if you dont soak it in water then make sure you wear a mask to prevent you from inhaling the dust, but i strongly recommend soaking it, it will make your life a lot easier. good luck!
Old 08-15-2005, 11:20 PM
Banned

2003 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by waldis
yes the header wrap. this will allow you to work with the material easier. make sure to pull on the wrap hard enough and tighten it at each turn. make sure to do an overlay and secure it with steel wire or ss zip ties. if you dont soak it in water then make sure you wear a mask to prevent you from inhaling the dust, but i strongly recommend soaking it, it will make your life a lot easier. good luck!
This info is MUCH appreciated. I had no idea you were supposed to do that and there was no mention of it on the packaging!

Thanks for the heads-up!
Old 08-16-2005, 12:43 AM

np man. lets just make sure we are talking about the same thing.

http://store.summitracing.com/defaul...h.asp&N=400384

item number dei-010108 or similar.

it is the dei exhuast wrap
Old 08-16-2005, 12:54 AM

and keep in mind, after you soak, try twist it just a bit to drain the water and you will be able to pull on the material because it will be more elastic. i would recommend to pull hard and tight and make a good overlay.

after everything is done, let it dry for a while but i think its better to install in back to the car asap and take a quick 10 minute to let the material firs dry and second, expand.

the whole idea of soaking besides making it easier to work and pull on is because once its dried (or encounters heat, which is better imo), it will expand / become tighter and result in a better wrap.
Old 08-16-2005, 10:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'72 Suburban
Waldis, not to pick-nits, but that seem counter-intuitive. If it expands when it dries/encounters heat, wouldn't that cause it to become looser?

And IMO, header wrap is bad. If anything spills on it, it can become a fire hazard. A poorly constructed header can corrode under the wrap and you won't know until you get a hole in a primary, etc. It's generally a HUGE PITA to do and looks like *** not long after.
Old 08-16-2005, 10:27 AM
Banned

2003 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by WayneE
Waldis, not to pick-nits, but that seem counter-intuitive. If it expands when it dries/encounters heat, wouldn't that cause it to become looser?

And IMO, header wrap is bad. If anything spills on it, it can become a fire hazard. A poorly constructed header can corrode under the wrap and you won't know until you get a hole in a primary, etc. It's generally a HUGE PITA to do and looks like *** not long after.
I was originally thinking of wrapping the headers when I bought it but decided to wrap from the "downpipes" downward since the EVO headers are already heat coated anyway.
Old 08-16-2005, 10:56 AM

2018 E63S wagon, 2016 GLE350d, GLE450 on order
I ordered mine from JEGS, the service was amazing and i recieved it to my door in 3 days, not bad considering it had to cross the border. It is amazing how many auto parts place in Canada do not know what header wrap is OR do not stock it!! The product works so much better when applied wet, it follows the contours of the pipe very well, not to mention it reduces the "fibre dust" from the material.....
Old 08-17-2005, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by WayneE

why would it come loose? you have ss/high temp zipties.

i am just speaking from my experience and this is what has worked for me from the past.