W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do I remove the front center, lower mesh grille...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-19-2005, 07:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
03 E55
How do I remove the front center, lower mesh grille...

without breaking it?...sorry if it's a dumb question. thankx //DarkStar
Old 08-20-2005, 02:34 AM

'05 E55, HRE 847R's black centers, black grille
pretty tough to break

I accidentally parked too far forward on a curb. A bush ripped my grille out. The only thing that happened was that the clips that hold the grille in broke. The grille itself didn't break. It's really hard to replace the clips. If the clip isn't completely broken out of the hole it fits in, it's very difficult to get it out so that you can put the replacement one in. All I'm saying is you just gotta tug on it. Go to the dealership before you do this. Tell them you need some clips, they should just hook you up for free. hope this helps. I was never able to get the last clip replaced. mine still looks fine, but it won't look right with more than one broken clip.

bigc
Old 08-20-2005, 11:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2017 S63 Coupe Iridium Silver
Grille removal

Originally Posted by DarkStar
without breaking it?...sorry if it's a dumb question. thankx //DarkStar
The clips have a one-way tab, which snaps open once the grille is pushed in place for the first time (assembly line). To remove it, you need to insert a thin screw driver into each tab and press the spring bit in the centre whilst pulling on the grille gently next to it. You can make a hook out of a vinyl wire coat hanger so that you dont chip the black paint off the mesh. Repeat this "press and tug" exercise all around until the grille is totally free.
If you do it right, you won't snap any clips. There is a chance that some clips were broken in the factory on assembly.
Replacement clips sell for....$3.00 each! To remove an old clip without taking off the bumper bar, you must gently break it up and push the remaining stump into the hole. Place a thick plastic sheet next to the clip when using a knife to break it up, or you will ruin the paint around it. New clips will just push in and lock inside the holes. Good luck and be careful!
Old 01-11-2008, 08:56 PM

2004 E55
Need Mesh Center Grille Replacement for 2004 w211

Another easy way to remove the mesh center grille is it hit a bag of garbage on the freeway at about 70mph. Only probelm is locating the center grille after it happens. :-)

Anyone have a used one or know of a parts car? Dealers looking to get $200 for one out the door. Thanks for the tips on the clips, I'll ensure to get some prior to reinstalling once I locate one.

Thanks,
Benz
Old 01-11-2008, 09:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
E-ZGO 53hp., 1999 E 430 sport, 2004 E 55, 2008 Tahoe LTZ on 24"s
Originally Posted by Rafal
The clips have a one-way tab, which snaps open once the grille is pushed in place for the first time (assembly line). To remove it, you need to insert a thin screw driver into each tab and press the spring bit in the centre whilst pulling on the grille gently next to it. You can make a hook out of a vinyl wire coat hanger so that you dont chip the black paint off the mesh. Repeat this "press and tug" exercise all around until the grille is totally free.
If you do it right, you won't snap any clips. There is a chance that some clips were broken in the factory on assembly.
Replacement clips sell for....$3.00 each! To remove an old clip without taking off the bumper bar, you must gently break it up and push the remaining stump into the hole. Place a thick plastic sheet next to the clip when using a knife to break it up, or you will ruin the paint around it. New clips will just push in and lock inside the holes. Good luck and be careful!

+1 clips are not free at my dealer, $28.00 for all the clips in center grill. The radar/laser detector installer got his a$$ in a ringer for breaking the lock tabs on the clips.
Old 01-11-2008, 10:46 PM

1989 Toyota Tercel Coupé
are you trying to remove it because its bent? get a metal coat hanger and bend it back if so
Old 01-11-2008, 10:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
E63 P30, CL500 Sport
Originally Posted by way2evil
are you trying to remove it because its bent? get a metal coat hanger and bend it back if so
LOL, you do that too
That actually works well; I've done it a couple of times in the past.

Trending Topics

Old 01-12-2008, 12:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts
2015 E63S, 2018 E63S
Originally Posted by MB_Forever
LOL, you do that too
That actually works well; I've done it a couple of times in the past.
+3
Old 01-12-2008, 12:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2007 SL550 - Aegean Blue; 2008 E63 Wagon - Iridium Silver
Thanks for the idea, guys. I've doinked mine twice now, and replaced it at $240 at the dealer the first time!! I'll try the coat hanger trick before shelling out any more dough for another one. Thanks again.