W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63

Suggestions Before I go with Stage 2 Kleeman?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-08-2005 | 10:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

What Bliss said- get your own dyno done and make sure it's at a place you can do it again after the mods.

I do not have any cooling mods. Frankly, I don't believe the Evo cooling mod adds all the horsepower they claim. It probably prevents a loss and thus they count that as an increase.

You should also visit Moroso to get some 1/4 mile times. Without that, you're going to be bragging to everyone how much better your dyno sheet looks. You want to be able to see real gains with regard to performance in my opinion.

If I were to do it all over again, I would wait on the K2. I would get the LSD and DR's first in order to ascertain their gains. Then, I would add K2 or K3. THEN, throw some spray on that car.

Lastly, who is doing the Kleemann work for you?
Old 09-09-2005 | 04:41 PM

'93 RX-7, SLK55
Originally Posted by DerekFSU
What Bliss said- get your own dyno done and make sure it's at a place you can do it again after the mods.

I do not have any cooling mods. Frankly, I don't believe the Evo cooling mod adds all the horsepower they claim. It probably prevents a loss and thus they count that as an increase.

You should also visit Moroso to get some 1/4 mile times. Without that, you're going to be bragging to everyone how much better your dyno sheet looks. You want to be able to see real gains with regard to performance in my opinion.

If I were to do it all over again, I would wait on the K2. I would get the LSD and DR's first in order to ascertain their gains. Then, I would add K2 or K3. THEN, throw some spray on that car.

Lastly, who is doing the Kleemann work for you?
Hey Derek, did you graduate from FSU like myself?

Also, how much RWHP is your E55 pushing? Thanks man!

-Matt
Old 09-10-2005 | 05:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

300ce
The whole mod/ reliability/ warranty risk issues scares the bajeezus out of me.

.........I believe Kleemann now offeres a warranty. You may wish to check with them. I understand they got an aftermarket company to sell the warranty.

Ted
Old 09-10-2005 | 10:46 AM
Banned

2003 E55 AMG
Derek,

Of course an intercooler and a pump cant ADD horsepower. It's a given that all it does is reclaims horsepower that would otherwise be lost by improving efficiency.

When they advertised +20 or +30 or whatever EVO said over Stage 2 it was because pushing MORE boost on these cars generates ridiculous heat levels. Controlling those elevated heat levels with the new pump and heat exchanger shows more horsepower on the graph.

But, isn't this what all other performance parts of the same nature provide?

ie. Why get an oversize HKS intercooler for a turbocharged supra that's pushing +5 lbs of boost over stock? Because the oversized intercooler is more efficient than the stock component and allows the engine to produce more power by controlling heat.

Isn't this the same concept of the EVO cooling upgrade or the Kleemann pump for that matter?
Old 09-10-2005 | 11:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by vrus
Derek,

Of course an intercooler and a pump cant ADD horsepower. It's a given that all it does is reclaims horsepower that would otherwise be lost by improving efficiency.
I reckon it's just symantics. If some claims a +25hp gain, then I read that to be a true gain. I personally preferred the Kleemann description which was no HP loss on something like 7 consecutive dyno runs. I feel that is more truthful that the EVO claims of HP gains. I'm not accusing EVO of anything, but I do feel that is a bit of a shady way to claim HP gains.

YellowR1, just to FSU. Class of 95, you? Off the spray I'm at 420 rwhp and 470 torque. On the spray I'm 615rwhp and 700 torque.

Last edited by DerekFSU; 09-10-2005 at 11:14 AM.
Old 09-10-2005 | 11:14 AM
Banned

2003 E55 AMG
I reckon it's just symatics. If some claims a +25hp gain, then I read that to be a true gain. I personally preferred the Kleemann description which was no HP loss on something like 7 consecutive dyno runs. I feel that is more truthful that the EVO claims of HP gains. I'm not accusing EVO of anything, but I do feel that is a bit of a shady way to claim HP gains.
Yeah.. I can see your point.. One description is a little more appealing than the other one but I guess both are truthful. No harm or disrespect intented.

YellowR1, just to FSU. Class of 95, you? Off the spray I'm at 420 rwhp and 470 torque. On the spray I'm 615rwhp and 700 torque.
420, 470?? That cant be right with K2 ??

615hp and 700tq ?? HOLY MOTHER OF GOD!! I had no idea the gains were that high.. I figured you were up there but not in that territory. Do you by chance have that graph that I can drool over?
Old 09-10-2005 | 11:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I do not have the graph. I'm going back in a few weeks to adjust the AF and will post it. As for the dyno numbers, they are meaningless to me. They are what I dyno'd after K2 but more important to me, it ran 11.65 at 121.9 mph on DR's. I've seens several dynos higher than mine with slower times so I chalk it up to dyno differences.
Old 09-10-2005 | 02:49 PM

'93 RX-7, SLK55
Hey Derek,

Yes, I graduated in '90. Tallahassee is a BLAST . Glad our D showed up against the 'Canes. All those close losses were making me puke. I do think Jeff Bowden blows though - our offense ain't what it used to be with that guy's lack of imagination .

Your E55 have some good numbers, actually, pretty sick with the spray . Nice ride Derek - you have done a great job modding your E55 correctly my man!

Cheers!
-Matt (Go 'Noles!)
Old 09-10-2005 | 06:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'03 G500, '13 G63, '17 GLS63,
I reckon it's just symantics. If some claims a +25hp gain, then I read that to be a true gain. I personally preferred the Kleemann description which was no HP loss on something like 7 consecutive dyno runs. I feel that is more truthful that the EVO claims of HP gains. I'm not accusing EVO of anything, but I do feel that is a bit of a shady way to claim HP gains.

What kind of dyno was this on? Aren't most people seeing around 470-480rwhp with K2 setup?
Old 09-10-2005 | 08:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

RT, good to see another Nole on here. We ain't what we used to be but we had a good run.

Medici, it was a dynajet I believe. They're only good to show gains in my opinion. I've never complained about it since I'm getting the performance I want. If I were turning 12.1's, then I would be concerned.