Difference between CLK DTM Engine and E55 engine

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-25-2005, 07:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
'03 G500, '13 G63, '17 GLS63,
Difference between CLK DTM Engine and E55 engine

I've seen many pictures of the AMG CLK DTM engine and it appears to be identical to the E55 and other Kompressor engines. It appears to have the same cooling setup and not the upgraded intercoolers of the SLR engine, yet still makes a stout 582 hp. Anyone have more info?
Old 09-25-2005, 08:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AMG
id say different ECU, more cooling and maybe better build internals?
Old 09-26-2005, 12:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
Oh yeah, just about every piece of the internals has been reworked for maximum output. I would bet compression increase for sure....crank, rods and pistons were made even more stout so for sure she's running higher comp. Perhaps a little bigger bore and/or stroke, but they massaged the h ell outta that motor from what I hear.

*****edit...yup, just about everything Bob and I said minus bore and stroke...plus blower increase.

The V8 supercharged engine in the CLK DTM AMG is the product of the Mercedes-AMG engineers’ vast experience, gained from more than 35 years of involvement in motor racing and the construction and development of high-performance power units. The following components of the engine borrowed from the SL 55 AMG were newly designed and developed:
  • The crankcase from the SL 55 AMG power unit has been further strengthened.
  • The pistons are forged and made of a special material boasting extreme temperature and pressure-resistant properties.
  • The exhaust camshafts have extended valve opening times, which improves the fuel supply to the combustion chambers; in conjunction with the new fan-type exhaust pipes and the new sports exhaust system, exhaust gas backpressure is significantly reduced.
  • Optimised intake airflow leads to better air throughput in the cylinder heads.
  • The higher-revving screw-type supercharger raises charge pressure from 0.8 bar to 0.85 bar.
  • The engine electronics have been adapted to the unit’s upgraded performance characteristics.

Last edited by Jakpro1; 09-26-2005 at 12:10 AM.
Old 09-26-2005, 12:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
W203 slightly modified
Originally Posted by Jakpro1
Oh yeah, just about every piece of the internals has been reworked for maximum output. I would bet compression increase for sure....crank, rods and pistons were made even more stout so for sure she's running higher comp. Perhaps a little bigger bore and/or stroke, but they massaged the h ell outta that motor from what I hear.

*****edit...yup, just about everything Bob and I said minus bore and stroke...plus blower increase.

The V8 supercharged engine in the CLK DTM AMG is the product of the Mercedes-AMG engineers’ vast experience, gained from more than 35 years of involvement in motor racing and the construction and development of high-performance power units. The following components of the engine borrowed from the SL 55 AMG were newly designed and developed:
  • The crankcase from the SL 55 AMG power unit has been further strengthened.
  • The pistons are forged and made of a special material boasting extreme temperature and pressure-resistant properties.
  • The exhaust camshafts have extended valve opening times, which improves the fuel supply to the combustion chambers; in conjunction with the new fan-type exhaust pipes and the new sports exhaust system, exhaust gas backpressure is significantly reduced.
  • Optimised intake airflow leads to better air throughput in the cylinder heads.
  • The higher-revving screw-type supercharger raises charge pressure from 0.8 bar to 0.85 bar.
  • The engine electronics have been adapted to the unit’s upgraded performance characteristics.
Not withstanding that the piston liners are the most recent version with much higher ratings for pressure and lower mass. The oiling system is further upgraded. The intake has a variable bore thanks to a turbulence valve developed for F1 engines.

All of these enhancements are seen on different engines presently sold or expected in the next few years. Some items are totally custom and not seen anywhere else but still orderable from AMG.

I wouldnt be surprised if some variants had straight-through exhaust.
Old 09-26-2005, 01:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
'03 G500, '13 G63, '17 GLS63,
So the E55 pistons aren't forged?
Old 09-26-2005, 01:31 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by medici78
So the E55 pistons aren't forged?
No sir, they are high-grade cast-aluminium pistons.
Old 09-26-2005, 01:33 AM

'06 M5
They are forged, but they aren't necessarily forged to the highest level. Pistons can be forged in different ways and with different alloys or metals made to handle different levels of compression. Our AMG pistons (which I believe are made by Mahre, not positive) are considered forged though, but not to withstand insane amounts of boost.
Old 09-26-2005, 01:36 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by darren_dallas
They are forged, but they aren't necessarily forged to the highest level. Pistons can be forged in different ways and with different alloys or metals made to handle different levels of compression. Our AMG pistons (which I believe are made by Mahre, not positive) are considered forged though, but not to withstand insane amounts of boost.
Are cast aluminum considered a type of forged?
I just googled for 'e55 pistons' and that's what I got from a few different sites.
Old 09-26-2005, 08:49 AM

'06 M5
Ricky,

Casting is a different process than forging. I was told by Kleemann they are forged, but to a lower "power" level or standard. Sounds like they may not be forged aluminum in any way, but rather cast aluminum.

If we don't truly have foreged pistons then this could be one way to get more boost out of our engines (by safely using a large pulley). J&E Pistons can make a set of custom pistons for our cars to handle much more pressure and boost and will only cost around $1,200 USD.

Cheers,

Darren
Old 09-26-2005, 09:15 AM

'06 M5
Ricky,

I think I found the article you're referring to and it's referencing the w210, not the w211. Although, I even looked on AMG's website and this is all I could get:

"The block and cylinder heads of all AMG engines are made from a special aluminum casting. The crankshaft and connecting rods are forged steel and the AMG engine uses a special magnesium intake manifold and special racing-derived aluminum pistons."

Not much help I know.

Thank you,

Darren