W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Kleemann transformation starts today!!!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-04-2005, 08:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
Klee headers are not jet coated....just high quality stainless.

Turns pretty colors when heated too. Rock's first cat will be cut off and headers hard welded to the system.

Can't reverse it, well with $$$$, but it's worth it.

Gonna love it Rock.

Post that final dyno, interested to see how yours stacks up with my stage 2......like my luck, you'll probably pull 650 or something.

Post up finals when you though, can't wait.
Old 10-04-2005, 11:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E55 - Daily Driver
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by can drive 55
It's almost like looking through the window of the nursery in the maternity ward. I bet you are REAL glad that it is not at Evosport right now. What a sickening feeling that would be. Congrats and I hope it screams. Keep us posted with some time slips.
I would not mind buggin' up to Co and taking a nice 2 week vacation while they worked on my car. Sorry to say, but my E55 is the slowest in my stable..at this moment. Anyway, I'll keep an eye on this thread, all good.

I have also talked to EVO, but was considering them only as a part source....but saw the above comment. Please follow-up on that, and if too hot for the forum, please e-mail me. With such a strong group of hot rodders with these E55s....I sure would hate to see someone have a bad experience; if it could have been prevented.

Thanks guys....
Old 10-04-2005, 12:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
'03 G500, '13 G63, '17 GLS63,
Originally Posted by Jakpro1
Klee headers are not jet coated....just high quality stainless.

Turns pretty colors when heated too. Rock's first cat will be cut off and headers hard welded to the system.

Can't reverse it, well with $$$$, but it's worth it.

Gonna love it Rock.

Post that final dyno, interested to see how yours stacks up with my stage 2......like my luck, you'll probably pull 650 or something.

Post up finals when you though, can't wait.
The headers are not hard welded to the system. They cut the factory system to fit downpipes to fit the headers' larger collectors.

Seeing how the headers are a major source of heat in our engine bay, I am definitely going to have them coated before installation. Now I just need to find some time to make the 650 mile drive up to CO to have all this stuff installed.

Last edited by medici78; 10-04-2005 at 12:07 PM.
Old 10-04-2005, 02:19 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2001 S500 Sport "Klaus"
Originally Posted by Yellow R1
A 4.1 quarter mile? Can you say typo? :p
no, actually

they said they got better time than they had with the sedan in '03; this has been discussed elsewhere on this forum, and the theory is that there's an extra couple of hundred pounds weight over the back wheels that may contribute. frankly, 4.1s is beyond my imagination, but once i'm out of break-in, we'll see...
Old 10-04-2005, 02:34 PM

'93 RX-7, SLK55
Originally Posted by vixapphire
no, actually

they said they got better time than they had with the sedan in '03; this has been discussed elsewhere on this forum, and the theory is that there's an extra couple of hundred pounds weight over the back wheels that may contribute. frankly, 4.1s is beyond my imagination, but once i'm out of break-in, we'll see...
Pal, no MB is going to run the QUARTER MILE in 4.1 seconds. Maybe 0 - 60 mph, but not the 1/4 (unless you are trapping close to 340 mph).

-Matt
Old 10-04-2005, 03:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
The headers are not hard welded to the system. They cut the factory system to fit downpipes to fit the headers' larger collectors.

Seeing how the headers are a major source of heat in our engine bay, I am definitely going to have them coated before installation. Now I just need to find some time to make the 650 mile drive up to CO to have all this stuff installed.
My bad, you're right....got turned around.

First cat is hacked though and not reversible without $$$$$.
Old 10-04-2005, 03:14 PM

2001 S500 Sport "Klaus"
Originally Posted by Yellow R1
Pal, no MB is going to run the QUARTER MILE in 4.1 seconds. Maybe 0 - 60 mph, but not the 1/4 (unless you are trapping close to 340 mph).

-Matt
oops; i'm a total dummy!!!

i meant 0-60, not the quarter mile. typo, idiot, all that stuff... that's me!!!
Old 10-04-2005, 06:49 PM
Administrator

Received 515 Likes on 111 Posts
Drives Slowly
Day Four

I just spoke to Cory and the work on my car continues. Today, the headers were completed and the ECU reprogrammed. I have attached the newest dyno.

I also posted another picture from my recent trip to Pikes Peak. Did you know that this beautiful area inspired "America the Beautiful."

Wellesley College English Prof. Katharine Lee Bates was woman and feminest traveling the country alone 1893. She got on a train in Boston and set off across the country, encountering "alabaster cities" (at the World's Fair in Chicago), "amber waves of grain" (Kansas wheat fields on July 4) and finally, "purple mountain majesties," which she admired while standing on one of them, Pike's Peak, outside Colorado Springs. When you see this place it is easy to understand why someone would be inspired.

Okay, history lesson over........back to the car stuff!!!!!!

Kleemann writes: Hello Dave-

I got the headers done and the car back on the Dyno. You'll find your K2 dyno attached (this is a baseline Vs. K2, if you want all the stages on one Dyno sheet, just let me know). The gains are VERY nice. Once the ECU adapts, you'll see a bit more power as well- like I mentioned in an earlier email, probably 10-15 more HP with similar torque increases. I don't exactly want to drive your car around for 120 miles, so I'll leave that part up to you ;-).

I'm going to let the car cool off for the rest of the day, and I'll knock out the LSD and intercooler pump tomorrow, and throw it back on the Dyno. Once everything is done, I'll have some different ECU files made so we can squeeze out as much power as possible. The dyno attached shows the ECU being tuned for the headers, but I think we may be able to get a bit more out of it.
Attached Thumbnails The Kleemann transformation starts today!!!!!-dave_k2.jpg   The Kleemann transformation starts today!!!!!-copy-100_1544.jpg  
Old 10-04-2005, 07:00 PM
Out Of Control!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dave,

Your dyno is looking very good! So i'm guessing after the LSD and intercooler pump that will be the whole K2 package correct? So your final dyno number is 557hp correct?
Old 10-04-2005, 07:15 PM

'93 RX-7, SLK55
Originally Posted by JamE55
Dave,

Your dyno is looking very good! So i'm guessing after the LSD and intercooler pump that will be the whole K2 package correct? So your final dyno number is 557hp correct?
I think so too. However, this is not RWHP, rather flywheel Hp. Its "odd" Kleemann calculates power at the crank via a dyno vs just plotting actual RWHP. My car goes on the dyno (at an authorized Kleemann Dealer) next week & will be using RWHP.

Maybe I'm the odd one out on this view, but I always think it better to know how much power is getting to the wheels?

In any case, Dave's power is climbing over stock - no doubt!

See ya,
-Matt
Old 10-04-2005, 07:22 PM
Administrator

Drives Slowly
From what Cory tells me there is more to be had. I hope I will be at least 570-580hp. Although, in the end the true test will be at the track. These numbers will come as soon as the good people at Kleemann return my car.
Old 10-04-2005, 07:25 PM
Out Of Control!

Originally Posted by Rock
These numbers will come as soon as the good people at Kleemann return my car.
When is your car shipping back to you?
Old 10-04-2005, 07:39 PM
Administrator

Drives Slowly
I would think about two weeks by Passport transport. I could also fly there and drive it home but the thought of a 1,300 mile drive, makes my *** hurt just thinking about it.

Dave
Old 10-04-2005, 07:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

4 wheels
Yeah but our E55 has some of the most comfortable seats plus you will get to enjoy the K2 at its full potential on your road trip.
Old 10-05-2005, 10:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
You only live once Rock and the Rockies are some of the most fun to drive in America.

If you do decide to do it....actually watch out in Colorado, also most cops I have ever seen in my life!!!

Maybe best to just wait the 2 weeks.

Gains look great. Remember, ECU still has to relearn and Cor does have other programs to squeeze out hp......

Again, congrats on the new beast.
Old 10-05-2005, 02:04 PM
Administrator

Drives Slowly
Day Five

The work continues and all appears to be going very well. I asked Cory to send me a picture to demonstate how the new, larger headers are connected to the downpipes. He also sent a few pictures of the LSD he is installing. I cannot wait to get this brute back home.

Kleemann writes:

Hi Dave-

The LSD installation is well underway. You'll find a few pictures
attached of the process, as well as some pictures of the downpipes
you requested. I'll get started on the intercooler pump today as
well. If all goes well, I will be able to put it back on the Dyno by
the end of the day to get some more numbers. I'll spend tomorrow on
the dyno trying some different ECU variations.
Attached Thumbnails The Kleemann transformation starts today!!!!!-6.jpg   The Kleemann transformation starts today!!!!!-5.jpg   The Kleemann transformation starts today!!!!!-4.jpg   The Kleemann transformation starts today!!!!!-3.jpg   The Kleemann transformation starts today!!!!!-2.jpg  

Old 10-05-2005, 02:05 PM
Administrator

Drives Slowly
One more picture:
Attached Thumbnails The Kleemann transformation starts today!!!!!-1.jpg  
Old 10-05-2005, 02:11 PM
Out Of Control!

Great pics Dave! Your LSD should look like this afterwards...
Attached Thumbnails The Kleemann transformation starts today!!!!!-kleemannlsd.jpg  
Old 10-05-2005, 04:08 PM

'93 RX-7, SLK55
One more picture:
Hi Rock.

Did you opt for the full exhaust (includes hi flow Kleemann cats & muffler) or just the headers? Thanks.

-Matt
Old 10-05-2005, 08:10 PM
Administrator

Drives Slowly
Matt

I did not get the full exhaust system. I decided to go with just the KLEEMANN headers. I think that also includes 70mm downpipes.

Kleemann also installed the intercooler pump today. Here are a few pictures of the pump installed as well as a shot of the factory pump.

Cory just sent me the following e-mail: "Dave, once I have the LSD together and the Diff back in the car, I'll go for a quick spin in the car, then put it back on the Dyno for some more ECU tuning. I should have it back on the Dyno by tomorrow, so expect a few more Dyno graph's by tomorrow evening".

Dave's e-mail response to Cory: " "
Attached Thumbnails The Kleemann transformation starts today!!!!!-img_0001.jpg   The Kleemann transformation starts today!!!!!-img_0006.jpg   The Kleemann transformation starts today!!!!!-img_0004.jpg  
Old 10-05-2005, 08:20 PM

'93 RX-7, SLK55
Yep, you are right - the header does include the downpipe.

I don't think I've ever seen such good customer service.....DAILY updates with pics nonetheless. Pretty friigin' cool man!

PS - I think the increase cooling power installed by Kleemann was a wise option. Keeping temps down is crucial for sustained/repeat big power output as well as longetivity. As Yoda would say, "Chose wisely, you have Rock Skywalker"

-Matt
Old 10-05-2005, 08:44 PM

Matt,
So when do we see pictures of your modified SLK55 :p
Old 10-05-2005, 11:02 PM

'93 RX-7, SLK55
Originally Posted by ian55amg
Matt,
So when do we see pictures of your modified SLK55 :p
My LSD, ECU, & blower have been installed. Car is in the shop waiting on the headers & exhaust (in transit from Colorado as we speak). So, I'm guessing next Tuesday or Wed (its going on the dyno on Monday)?

-Matt
Old 10-06-2005, 12:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2017 S63 Coupe Iridium Silver
Originally Posted by lowphat
When you get your car back this is what you'll look like in everyone else's rear view mirror....
Full of bull...?
Old 10-06-2005, 12:26 AM

E55 - Daily Driver
Matt

I did not get the full exhaust system. I decided to go with just the KLEEMANN headers. I think that also includes 70mm downpipes.
"
This has been a great read. I appreciate you sharing this information......and this place in Co. certainly appears to be the place to go. Nothing like this around here in Dallas. I do not want to pry into your personal business, where might I find prices ? I'd sure like to price out some of this...pulley/headers/tuning.

Thanks again!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: The Kleemann transformation starts today!!!!!