Do it yourself instructions - Replacing rear Sunshade

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-08-2005, 11:54 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1999 E55
Do it yourself instructions - Replacing rear Sunshade

Does anyone here remember the link to the website that has instructional videos for working on various MB models. I am looking for instructions for replacing the rear sunshade on my E55. The dealer wants $1,200 to replace it. I can get the motor for $60. Has anyone here ever done this before. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Old 10-10-2005, 09:24 PM

2002 MB E55 AMG
In '02 it was a $420 option I think - $1200 = highway robbery.

TJC
Old 01-21-2013, 12:52 AM

2006 e350 2008 & c350
Roehl on MB world posted a step by step instruction on removing the shade. I saved dollars doing it. I could not find the motor and MB was of no help. I was told they do not use these forums as evidence of problems. Very poor customer service for a motor that cannot do the job as designed. I worked on this with my son. We followed the steps and were patient. Side panels were difficult as were the headrests. Speaker assembly needs to be turned counter clockwise and taken out of its place a bit. This will permit removal of the rear deck. I took out the motor and the gear assembly. Used zip ties to loosely tie up the arms for the shade. I can now use it manually. My shade was stuck in the open position which was not the ideal situation for ambient lighting conditions. I think MB got lucky with this problem since mortors would be out of warranty by the time this problem becomes a issue.
Old 05-09-2014, 01:58 AM

c240
rear sunshade 2003 c240

Ive looked on many post, and have read all about the problems people have with their stuck shades. I just can't find the one that says, step by step, how to remove it?

I have a 2003 c240, been stuck for years. Fuse 20 is okay, have tried all suggestions excepting the removal of the shade. Please, if someone has the instructions or a link, I would be very grateful to you.

Youtube post are mostly listing of cars to buy, my Haynes repair guide is worthless for about 25% of needed repairs. And im striking out on the internet?

Help please.
Old 03-01-2019, 11:21 AM

2008 MB C350 Sport
Exclamation

has anyone found the procedure for the sun shade removal. I also need to replace mine. I can hear the motor cycle through but the shade doesn't move. Thanks in advance. Any help would be greatly appreciated
Old 03-02-2019, 11:59 AM

Received 74 Likes on 66 Posts
2006 E55
Originally Posted by Flame145
has anyone found the procedure for the sun shade removal. I also need to replace mine. I can hear the motor cycle through but the shade doesn't move. Thanks in advance. Any help would be greatly appreciated
google the how to, some old threads explaining it and some YouTube video somewhat touching on subject your looking for.

I’m about to do the same and basically you remove rear seat, rear side panels to remove rear cover panel to get to the shade but there are two nuts and two bolts in the trunk that anchors the shade assembly that needs to be unscrew. Also you need to disconnect a wire harness from the assembly as well.

The how to remove the panels without breaking clips is key, but you can always replace broken clips.
The following users liked this post:
Flame145 (03-02-2019)
Old 03-02-2019, 01:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 252 Likes on 215 Posts
2005 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by MSG 55G
google the how to, some old threads explaining it and some YouTube video somewhat touching on subject your looking for.

I’m about to do the same and basically you remove rear seat, rear side panels to remove rear cover panel to get to the shade but there are two nuts and two bolts in the trunk that anchors the shade assembly that needs to be unscrew. Also you need to disconnect a wire harness from the assembly as well.

The how to remove the panels without breaking clips is key, but you can always replace broken clips.
When you start this please do a step by step how to for future reference.

Not sure if there one is out there but if so a lot of photo bucket pics are no longer there.

Post the pictures to your album on MB World forum.
Old 03-04-2019, 12:43 AM

2006 E55
Originally Posted by tlambert
When you start this please do a step by step how to for future reference.

Not sure if there one is out there but if so a lot of photo bucket pics are no longer there.

Post the pictures to your album on MB World forum.
Thanks tlambert for giving me the tasking on DIY! Won’t let you down, but my MO when working on my car is to rip it apart and reload with better parts as fast as I can. I’ll just need to take my time, with greasy and dirt covered fingers I’ll grab that DSL and snap some photos. Got a few projects ahead of this one so be patient with me.
Old 03-04-2019, 01:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 252 Likes on 215 Posts
2005 E55 AMG
I hear ya I’m the same way. Except I get carried away start detailing everything and still forget to do pics!!
Old 03-06-2019, 11:11 AM

2006 E55
Was going to do rear sunshade on my buddy’s E55 but he decided to support his buddy that owns a Indy shop. However, my shade is going out pretty soon so might still get a chance to take on project.