W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did the M5 do at the track today???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-01-2005, 10:11 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
01 Mustang GT
Originally Posted by enzom
Thanks, Amen - So did you break into the 11's???
I'd be willing to bet that his pass against Derek was an 11.9xx after comparing the rest of that slip to his previous 12.07 slip. If I'm not mistaken, he was faster at every interval.
Old 11-01-2005, 12:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 374 Likes on 275 Posts
2005 E55
i thought that L/C and s5 and s6 modes were are dissabled before the break in is done so maybe he dosnt want to post yet because its not what the car can do.
Old 11-01-2005, 12:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'10 Panamera S, '06 AMG CLS55, '07 Miata MX5, '02 MB SPRINTER, '99 Spec Miata Race Car (2X)
To DerekFSU

Hi Derek

first off, let me doff my cap to you for that awsome run in the E55 - You really made history. Congratulations

Secondly - I think it would be prudent to post what you experienced in the M5 over the weekend - just write down what happened and what you learned from it. If the car is not ready for hard launching, well then state it. If it ran 12's, 13's, 14's, 15's who knows what it ran, just let us know since we are all curious. Explain the circumstances.

Let me add that this is not to add fuel to an M5 vs E55 debate - this is for us to get a better understanding of the peculiarities of the M5 - how hard it is to launch, how long a break in is required, how the first run down the drag strip felt.

But to refrain from posting anything at all makes us all really wonder what the hell happened - could it have really been that bad ?.

I, for one would love to know...

many thanks in anticipation

Siswati
Old 11-01-2005, 12:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by skratch77
i thought that L/C and s5 and s6 modes were are dissabled before the break in is done so maybe he dosnt want to post yet because its not what the car can do.
Correct Skratch. S5 and S6 are operable but LC is disabled. Once LC is engaged, I'll post up the comparisons. Not sure who that guy is but I'll put up the comparisons when they're proper and when they're complete.

In the meantime, I'm about to post the video of the M5 on the roadcouse from Saturday.
Old 11-01-2005, 12:49 PM

04 E55
Originally Posted by DerekFSU
Correct Skratch. S5 and S6 are operable but LC is disabled. Once LC is engaged, I'll post up the comparisons. Not sure who that guy is but I'll put up the comparisons when they're proper and when they're complete.

In the meantime, I'm about to post the video of the M5 on the roadcouse from Saturday.
Hey Derek,

Do you experience any vibration at all from the front tires? I took the car today up to about 120 mph and at smooth surface i can feel quiet noticeable vibration.

I need to try S6, i thought that was disabled.

BTW, nice run. Saw the video.
Old 11-01-2005, 01:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thanks. No vibrations yet.
Old 11-01-2005, 05:54 PM

07 S65
I dont' blame you Derek. If the numbers are as bad as I've heard I wouldn't post them either. Let us know when you get it down the track. You other guys need to leave it alone. The car didn't run as well as it can and he doesn't want us to know what it did. They are on the road now so you should start seeing more times other than Dereks.
Old 11-01-2005, 07:39 PM

04 E55
Originally Posted by DJe55
I dont' blame you Derek. If the numbers are as bad as I've heard I wouldn't post them either. Let us know when you get it down the track. You other guys need to leave it alone. The car didn't run as well as it can and he doesn't want us to know what it did. They are on the road now so you should start seeing more times other than Dereks.
To be honest, even with LC enabled, i still believe that M5 will have hard time beating E55 in 0-60 from dead stop. Unless you keep your feet stomped on the gas and have perfect timing in tapping the paddle shift. It will take time to get accustomed to that.

M5 is not an automatic that you can simply punch the gas and go.
Old 11-01-2005, 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by siswati
I, for one would love to know...

many thanks in anticipation

Siswati

I thought this guy's write up was a good read. THe dude actually DROVE the car before whipping everyone up into a frenzy . Do take a look at his pics as well.

link

Picked my silver grey/black in atlanta and drove to cali
got back saturday night.

so...the car now has 3k miles on it. where do i start?

i currently own an e39 m5 and a 997s, and have had sl55 amg, m3, gt3, and an s4. all of their current generations. by far, the m5 feels the fastest, not as raw as the gt3, but the acceleration is stunning, i've gone to 160 indicated, and it was nothing and pulling hard when i decelerated...

the balance is phenomenal, it doesn't feel heavy like the e39 does, the body roll for its size is minimal. through the rockies and utah it was a hoot. i didn't push the car real hard (i'll save that for the track), but seems to be a much lighter car than its weight and size.

the multifunction seats are amazing, made the 3k mile trip much easier to deal with (that and stopping in vegas for a couple days, and yes, i won).

if you don't get full leather, your headliner is some sort of fabric, i was a bit disappointed in that, but no big deal, some headliner and a couple strips of leather aren't worth 3.5k in my book.

i got to denver for my 1200 mile service (at 1400 miles), was exhausted. when i got up from my nap at the hotel, murray bmw let me know that they had no parts for the car (meaning oil filter) and the could have it overnighted. rather than that, they set me up with desert bmw in vegas and i got the service done the next day in vegas at 2200 miles.

i drive is really easy once you get past the learning curve, the nav system works really well and the stereo kicks ***! i didn't get hud (i didn't want it) nor did i get comfort access (god forbid i have to actually insert a key . had comfort access in the sl55, it was ok, but i don't really care about it.

the leather is really buttery and nice...

i don't really know how describe the driving experience in full power with dsc off in s6 other than to say it's astounding, it never stops...it actually startled me the first couple of times i went for it.

at high speeds the car feels incredibly stable, i had my gt3 up to 189, felt exhilerating, but not necessarily safe, but this car makes you feel safe at 160.

the smg seems to be a bit slower than it was in my m3 except for in s6, i don't know, everything i've read says it is more refined, but i don't think so, seems that it pauses more between shifts (on upshifts). my shifting in a manual is significantly smoother. downshifts and rev matches are very, very good though, better than i could rev match and heel/toe.

the sound in hard acceleration is wonderful imo, would be nice if the idle was a little beefier, but then this is a "family sedan"

the air vent on driver side next to the door is a really crappy place, you can't really get the air to blow on your face where it is, but you can cool and heat your left hand really well! Ha. it is also annoying that you have to go into i drive to change which vent you want the air blowing from, they really should have just used a button or two for that. those are really the only complaints i have about the car, it is otherwise, just stunning.

i don't really like the styling of the regular 5's, but this just looks different, it's like bangle designed it to look good on the m5 only, i don't know, it's weird to me that way...

i have quite a few photo's, but not sure how to post in thread. if someone pm's me i'll send 'em and they can post them for me if so inclined.

also, i'm in the sacramento area, so anyone out here considering buying one, let me know and you can check out my car...

oh, i averaged 16.2 mpg for the trip. actually 16.5 to vegas, but i wasted a bit more on the drive back to n. cal.

anyone with questions, let me know. i'll reply asap.

link to photo's: http://m5trip.shutterfly.com/action/

Last edited by Belmondo; 11-01-2005 at 08:32 PM.
Old 11-01-2005, 09:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Oh Bel, where did our relationship go wrong? I gave my review of the car but simply don't write as well as that gentleman, take it up with my English teacher.

I'm sorry to have left out the gas mileage or the buttery leather. Until I can get back to the track, the roadcourse video at 150mph will just have to do. I'm looking forward to not disapointing you in the future. PM me all the things you would like done, attempted, and written about so I can get to it. Take care and I look forward to our future correspondence.

PS Tell me about your car. It ain't all about me so how bout a little about your rides. Sharing is caring.
Old 11-02-2005, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by DerekFSU

PS Tell me about your car. It ain't all about me so how bout a little about your rides. Sharing is caring.

I would but at this point I just don't feel it would be prudent. XXOO
Old 11-02-2005, 11:40 AM

2004 E55 Evosport I & II; VRP H/E
Originally Posted by Belmondo
OK , will do that, thank you, but first I have to un "tune" myself from the avalanche of "videos and timeslips" and try to get away from all the "games" that have begun.
Are you just having a bad week, or are you always such a jackass??
Old 11-02-2005, 04:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'72 Suburban
Originally Posted by Belmondo
I would but at this point I just don't feel it would be prudent. XXOO

Sorry, but that was funny.

Derek, it's obvious that the haters want the numbers so they can gloat about the new, slow M5 that's out there. Obviously the car isn't slow, but not posting numbers because of a bad day at the track is silly (and really opens you up to some well-deserved ribbing, IMO ).

Post up the numbers and then show us what it can really do once you get some miles on it.

BTW, congrats on the 10 in the E.
Old 11-02-2005, 05:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55
Originally Posted by WayneE

Sorry, but that was funny.

Derek, it's obvious that the haters want the numbers so they can gloat about the new, slow M5 that's out there. Obviously the car isn't slow, but not posting numbers because of a bad day at the track is silly (and really opens you up to some well-deserved ribbing, IMO ).

Post up the numbers and then show us what it can really do once you get some miles on it.

BTW, congrats on the 10 in the E.
It is not limited to haters (and I don't think you are suggesting that.) If any of us took ANY new high performance car to the track, we would all want to know how it did. We have been waiting since God knows when for an actual owner to take their M5 to the strip and show us what it can do. So this is a bit dissappointing. And most of us hopefully recognize that we have good days at the track and not so good days. One day does not set a standard.
Old 11-02-2005, 06:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'72 Suburban
Originally Posted by enzom
It is not limited to haters (and I don't think you are suggesting that.) If any of us took ANY new high performance car to the track, we would all want to know how it did. We have been waiting since God knows when for an actual owner to take their M5 to the strip and show us what it can do. So this is a bit dissappointing. And most of us hopefully recognize that we have good days at the track and not so good days. One day does not set a standard.

You're right, thanks for clarifying... everyone is expecting to see times, not just the people who want to put down the M5 (or BMW in general).
Old 11-02-2005, 09:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55
Originally Posted by WayneE
You're right, thanks for clarifying... everyone is expecting to see times, not just the people who want to put down the M5 (or BMW in general).

No problem. I am trying to pick a day to go down to E-town or a private rental at Atco to see how my cousin does in his F430 spider. Without launch control, it is not going to cut a good 60 foot time, but I bet it'll trap in the low 120's. We'll see. I will post when/if it happens.