W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63

Got E55 back from bodyshop-new appreciation

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-08-2005 | 08:04 PM
Banned

F248 F1
kk we are having a meeting tomororw at 8 are you comming ?! if not you should come its probably about 5 miles max from your pplace.
Old 11-08-2005 | 10:54 PM

M5
Originally Posted by krispykrme
...In order for M5 to shine i must drive it hard. But i am not going to be able to keep my license if i drive it hard. At least with E55 i can still enjoy the quick launch without going way over speed limit...
I'm not sure if this has already been answered due to so many responses. But, due to a naturally aspirited engine, could it be perception that leads you to believe that you could get a ticket? Holding the residential maximum speed limit without a ticket to, say 45, wouldn't it take you more revs to get to 45, whereas with the E55, it takes less rev/work? Thus, because you have to work harder to achieve the same result, the M5 feels and sounds max-out that you're perceived to think you're speeding and that you could get a ticket for speeding when in fact you're not. Would this sound plausable?
Old 11-09-2005 | 01:47 AM

04 E55
Originally Posted by egutie6970
kk we are having a meeting tomororw at 8 are you comming ?! if not you should come its probably about 5 miles max from your pplace.
sure, pm me.
Old 11-09-2005 | 01:52 AM

04 E55
Originally Posted by a_ok2me
I'm not sure if this has already been answered due to so many responses. But, due to a naturally aspirited engine, could it be perception that leads you to believe that you could get a ticket? Holding the residential maximum speed limit without a ticket to, say 45, wouldn't it take you more revs to get to 45, whereas with the E55, it takes less rev/work? Thus, because you have to work harder to achieve the same result, the M5 feels and sounds max-out that you're perceived to think you're speeding and that you could get a ticket for speeding when in fact you're not. Would this sound plausable?
No. This is not the case. I just got my car back today after 1200 miles service. I played around with LC (finally) and went into M-mode with full 500HP. The speed build up very fast. I was approach 80 (or 70, did not pay full attention) at 2nd gear at about 8000RPM. This thing is just fast. I don't think doing 80 in residential area will be okay.

The difference between the two is that E55 will snap your neck at start (due to huge amount of torque, but the pull does not really build up). The M5 on the other hand does not snap your neck, but just kept on pulling harder and harder. It just builds up more steam the faster you go.

Very different way in reaching the speed. E55 tends to lose steam when RPM reaches higher, M5 is simply cooking at high RPM speed.

Last edited by krispykrme; 11-09-2005 at 01:58 AM.
Old 11-09-2005 | 02:12 AM

M5
Very different way in reaching the speed. E55 tends to lose steam when RPM reaches higher, M5 is simply cooking at high RPM speed.
Interesting. I guess I would prefer the E55 given that I rarely, if ever, go over 80. Especially in Cal since there's no space. But, I frequently use short bursts for passing annoying slow drivers in the fast lane on city streets, so it sounds like the E55 suits me better.
Old 11-09-2005 | 04:34 AM

04 E55
Interesting. I guess I would prefer the E55 given that I rarely, if ever, go over 80. Especially in Cal since there's no space. But, I frequently use short bursts for passing annoying slow drivers in the fast lane on city streets, so it sounds like the E55 suits me better.
You are correct. E55's torque makes passing much easier. With M5, I will have to make sure i am in the right gear before i can do that.

That's why i have change my mind on E55 and appreciate what is brings to the table now.

E55 will never match M5's vehicle dynamic. But for daily use, the E55 torques makes it so much useful.

M5 is really a track car in a 4 door body. Extremely fun when pushing it hard. But really unremarkable for daily use. You simply don't have the ability to push it hard on daily commute.

These two car are night and day different. I have come to conclude that these two car should not be compared to each other. In fact they compliment each other quiet well.

However, I would still prefer DCX improve the steering/brake response. I still not a fan of that and probably never will.

Last edited by krispykrme; 11-09-2005 at 04:40 AM.
Old 11-09-2005 | 03:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Real Cars
No. This is not the case. I just got my car back today after 1200 miles service. I played around with LC (finally) and went into M-mode with full 500HP. The speed build up very fast. I was approach 80 (or 70, did not pay full attention) at 2nd gear at about 8000RPM. This thing is just fast. I don't think doing 80 in residential area will be okay.

The difference between the two is that E55 will snap your neck at start (due to huge amount of torque, but the pull does not really build up). The M5 on the other hand does not snap your neck, but just kept on pulling harder and harder. It just builds up more steam the faster you go.

I can relate to this. It was the same thing when I drove the E39 vs W210, although to a lesser degree. The M3 has the same problem. Lots of revs and hp, but the lack of hp means that those low-rpm pulls really involve winding out a gear and thus going fast, where as at just about any rpm in the W211 E55 you get from XXmph to YYmph very quickly in an almost effortless manner.

I very much prefer the E55 way of doing it, although the M3/M5/etc way of doing it also has it's charm.

It's kind of funny reading your thoughts KK, it's what I have been saying all along in terms of //M vs AMG. If you do a search for my posts, you'll see I never rip on either because they are different enough where they almost cancel each other out and you are really just left with what personally do you prefer better. Realistically, both sides of the coin make a terrific car - but one isn't clearly better than the other.

-m
Old 11-09-2005 | 06:14 PM

2005 E55, 2010 ML350

Question, if you start off in M and 2nd gear, will it shift when it reaches a certain RPM, or will it redline?
Old 11-10-2005 | 02:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

211 E55(sold) & 80cc shifter kart
Originally Posted by tjcMBE55AMG
"So if you see a silvergrey M5 with license plate ends with 078. That's moi"

I think I've seen it!
Old 11-10-2005 | 09:56 AM

2008 E63
At first I thought it was the crack or the doughnuts talking, but now I've come to the realization that KK has made a rational, objective comparison and posted it to bring information and discussion to the forum.

Welcome Krispy!!!
Old 11-10-2005 | 08:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2000 W210 E55->2003 R230 SL500->2004 W211 E55->2007 997TT+2007 E63->2010 GLK350->2012 E550 4matic
Really have a lot of respect for MB's autobox. I think it's the best in the industry, unlike the soon-to-be-outdated-Tiptronic, it starts off in 1st gear by default!
Old 11-22-2005 | 06:18 PM
Almost a Member!

BMW 530i, Porsche Cayenne S

But doesnt that means that the engine would be "tired" easily with those high RPM's they achieved everytime?Please correct me if im wrong
Old 11-24-2005 | 12:23 AM

05 E55
Improviz is an idiot. What do i care about what he thinks.

For all i concern he can kiss my rear any day.
Damn, you sure do give it up easy!

baaahhhaaahahahaha
Old 11-24-2005 | 12:32 AM

05 E55
Yes, especially if you were silly enough to pay attention to all that input and reverse psychology and not actually look at your speedo for the truth.

But fortunately both cars have them.

Loren