Sponsored by:

Reversed Rotors

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-07-2005, 08:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
a few...
Reversed Rotors

I was just searchin on corvetteforum.com and I came upon a topic about the apparent "left handed rotors" that were actually all four on the new Z06's. The owners are claiming that it is completely ridiculous basically and that GM is just trying to be cheap and it is bad for track cars blah blah blah.

E55er, I noticed you posted that the E55's have the same thing. I agree with you since I looked the other day to see if it indeed was true and it was. But anyways...

A question for you gearheads.... Does the direction of the drilled rotors really make a big difference in the car's performance to a noticeable degree? I know that it would on the track but I also read that it depends on the way the "veins" in the calipers are set up. I just wanted some inside information about this considering we have a population of owners who seem to know cars inside and out. Thanks for the responses in advance.
Old 11-07-2005, 09:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
things with and without wheels
In my opinion the direction of the drilled holes in brake rotors for street use makes no bearing.As long as you get air flow to cool them it's more than enough for street use.Just imagine how much these directional rotors would cost if they demanded left and right side rotors, then the owners would complain about that.The Vette still out performs any American sports car including Viper and Ford GT40 .
Old 11-07-2005, 09:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
W203 slightly modified
Originally Posted by merc655
I was just searchin on corvetteforum.com and I came upon a topic about the apparent "left handed rotors" that were actually all four on the new Z06's. The owners are claiming that it is completely ridiculous basically and that GM is just trying to be cheap and it is bad for track cars blah blah blah.

E55er, I noticed you posted that the E55's have the same thing. I agree with you since I looked the other day to see if it indeed was true and it was. But anyways...

A question for you gearheads.... Does the direction of the drilled rotors really make a big difference in the car's performance to a noticeable degree? I know that it would on the track but I also read that it depends on the way the "veins" in the calipers are set up. I just wanted some inside information about this considering we have a population of owners who seem to know cars inside and out. Thanks for the responses in advance.
When E55's start to spin clockwise due to the directionality of the rotors then I suppose Benz might do something about it.
Old 11-07-2005, 10:38 AM

E55
Porsche has left and right rotors.
Old 11-07-2005, 11:28 AM

a few...
Given the fact that the Vette does indeed outperform the Viper, and the Ford GT you could say, I don't really guess the misdirectional rotors really matter. Unless you autocross I guess it really doesn't matter, then if you were really serious you would get solid rotors anyway for more surface area of the rotors but I guess it's more or less just one of the nitpicky areas where people can complain but the thing I realize is the Mercedes is indeed producing thousands of these brakes so they have to save money somewhere and I would rather it be with brakes that still hurt your cheeks when you stomp on them than with anything else.... but to each their own.
Old 11-07-2005, 02:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2018 Mclaren 720s, 2021 Aston Martin DBX
Having the same rotor rotate in different directions would seem to defeat the design consideration of air flow cooling over the directional rotor vanes.

The Corvette and Porsche directional wheels are the same story...the same wheel used on both sides. They are just for show and to keep inventory numbers down. Some Nissans I had did have directional wheels designed to increase air flow for brake cooling and they were staggered too....so it was a different wheel for each corner.