Sponsored by:

M5 Launch Control Instructions...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-09-2005, 02:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 335 vert, 2004 MDX
Thanks for the reply KK. As long as I've programmed the M button to activate LC, it should be pretty quick to activate. But I think you've hit the nail on the head. It really seems the M5 and the E55 are different tools. For my "job", the E55 seems the better choice. Obviously I couldn't test drive an M5 before I got my E55, they weren't available. But I did drive everything else I could. I drove a 911 cab and at first it was exhilirating (sp?). But on the way back to the dealer, I ran into heavy traffic which is the norm for around here. It became clear to me that the trade-offs to make the 911 the sportier vehicle became a PITA for my daily commute. From what I'm reading, the case may be the same with the M5.
Old 11-09-2005, 02:29 PM

e55211 traded in for CLS55
Originally Posted by VelocitE55
The way the instuctions are listed, it looks to be more than simply pushing a button and the shifter forward and holding the accelerator. Regardless, I find it amusing that its so easy for us and such a pain in the *** for M5 drivers to be able to compete with us. Without LC, you guys are F*cked unless the race is going well over 100 MPH.
Old 11-09-2005, 02:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
04 E55
Originally Posted by RennTechV12
I've got a question for you KK. Would you have gotten the car without that limiting factor if you could of? A car that would let YOU, the owner/driver, decide when it was OK to give it max power?
I would get the M5 regardless of the limiting factor. At lot of times for everyday driving i really have no need to drive this thing in P500/S6/EDC in break your back setting. So allow me to set up on what i need is actually quiet nice (sometime it makes you as a driver to control yourself for doing stupid things). For the entire last week i have been struggling with self control on driving the M5. It is really difficult for me (at least) to drive the M5 in civilized manner.

By limiting the car at least give me another of self control (albeit a lousy one since one push of button I can remove all restriction). So it isn't really an issue for me.

LC- i really don't see it as a limiting factor. I realize how important it is not to fry your clutch on daily basis. So LC is not really an issue for me.

In some aspect, the E55 does the exact same thing in limiting the power output as well. E55's S/C is not always engaged either. Hence when you really don't need all 469 HP, there really is no need to engage the S/C and put extra pressure on the engine.

So i really don't mind the limiting factor. Also, this prevent my idiotic wife from killing my car. So i am all for it.
Old 11-09-2005, 03:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55
Originally Posted by krispykrme
So i really don't mind the limiting factor. Also, this prevent my idiotic wife from killing my car. So i am all for it.
For $10, we won't tell your wife what you said. :p
Old 11-09-2005, 04:28 PM

04 E55
Originally Posted by enzom
For $10, we won't tell your wife what you said. :p
hehe. Anyway my wife is a horrible driver. That's the truth. If she touches my M5 she will probably destroy something just liked she did with my M3 (burnt clutch).
Old 11-09-2005, 04:41 PM
Almost a Member!

That was an editor malfunction. He meant his "idealic" wife. I have to agree with the idea of these cars being different tools for different purposes. Neither of them is or can be everything to everybody. They each represent a set of compromises. The driver has to choose the set that fits him best. I envy you guys that can choose to have both.
Old 11-09-2005, 04:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG
I wanna see the race between E55 Kleemann stage 2/3 with LSD and tuned M5 0-300 km/h .... that would be intresting.
Old 11-09-2005, 05:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by SoulBladeZA
M5 isn't made for drag-racing anyway. No-one really cares about 1/4 mile times if they buy an M5. Besides an M5 will cream most cars without LC. Take it from someone who actually DRIVES one.
I have the M5 and I definitely care about the 1/4 mile times. I also have more time on a road course with the M5 than most people.

It's takes 2 seconds to hit the M button and push the shifter knob forward while flooring the car, that's it.
Old 11-09-2005, 05:35 PM

2006 E46 M3, 2008 E92 M3
Originally Posted by DerekFSU
I have the M5 and I definitely care about the 1/4 mile times. I also have more time on a road course with the M5 than most people.

It's takes 2 seconds to hit the M button and push the shifter knob forward while flooring the car, that's it.
Ah but you live in America I don't care about 1/4 mile times personally. I can fully understand and appreciate the American need for effortless straight line speed as that is, for the most part anyway, the only roads you drive on.

In retrospect, if I lived in America, I would propably get the E55 too

Last edited by SoulBladeZA; 11-09-2005 at 05:37 PM.
Old 11-09-2005, 05:38 PM
Banned

F248 F1
i dont have neither of the cars but it sounds like both cars are wayyyy diff from each other! i hated the E class but now im starting to admire it..as for the M i have always loved it...both cars are great i dont see a reason to bash any of them. If you can afford both like KK thats AWSOME if you dont have both and cant compare its better not to talk smack about the other...as for those who have both...evreyone is diff and have diff preferences.
Old 11-09-2005, 05:49 PM

a few...
I think DerekFSU hit it right on the head. It isn't that incredibly complicated as it is written out to be. It is the same procedure with my '03 M3. Really only takes about 2 secs and a dead stop. Given I never used it in an actual race, but rather just to do the stupid **** with my friends and myself sayin, "Check out what this car will let you do"....

I think people will buy the M5 because they like it for its driving dynamics and its power delivery. Who knows maybe for the styling too but with every advancement that BMW and Merc makes on each other, it only guarantees an even sweeter car in the future from both.

I am anxious to see how the M5s do on the street and from rolls, stops and high speed rolls. From what people are sayin the M5 will win on nearly all rolls and the stops with LC.

The only question I have is... I get it that yes it does take a good amount of skill to drive both of these cars, but I don't think it will be that hard to duplicate these performances from either given the E is a straight auto and the M5 is a clutchless manual. Unless the M5 shifts early or overrevs, he doesn't have much else to worry about. So what skill does it take besides payin attn to the tach and shiftin at the right time? I mean I drove an M3 with SMG so I know it takes more skill than an auto but its not like its a full out manual.

Oh well. Let it fly....
Old 11-09-2005, 06:21 PM

A SL55 delivered 8/18/07, and an E55 wagon delivered 5/11/05
There was a rumor (was it here I read it?) that if use your launch control more than XX times BMW can void your warranty. Supposely they can get number of time LC was engaged from car computer. Urban myth or truth? Wolf
Old 11-09-2005, 06:24 PM

2005 E55, 2010 ML350
Ah but you live in America I don't care about 1/4 mile times personally. I can fully understand and appreciate the American need for effortless straight line speed as that is, for the most part anyway, the only roads you drive on.

As a South African I apologize for his response. Just antagonistic. They drag race plenty there, and there's always a line of cars waiting. And unless you are driving away from an attempted carjacking, the streets are pretty damn straight and spacious last time I checked. Don't let this guy get you all worked up.
Old 11-09-2005, 06:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 CLS55 AMG
Originally Posted by Mr Wolf
There was a rumor (was it here I read it?) that if use your launch control more than XX times BMW can void your warranty. Supposely they can get number of time LC was engaged from car computer. Urban myth or truth? Wolf

I dont know about voiding your warranty, it may be possible. I would bet that they can find out how many times you've used it though.
Old 11-09-2005, 06:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Are you for real or is this just trolling? You said that anyone who buys a M5 does not care about 1/4's and I pointed out that you are wrong. How does America equate to straight line roads?
Old 11-09-2005, 06:45 PM

04 E55
Originally Posted by Mr Wolf
Not for the US. This will never fly in US. But we do get a detuned version of it. At least unlike the M3 that got detuned to 1800 RPM. The US m5 can launch at 4k.
Old 11-09-2005, 06:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'09 911 C4S
Krispy,

You think Dinan will come up with something to get you back on track on the LC?
Old 11-09-2005, 06:55 PM
Banned

F248 F1
Originally Posted by Kev04C320
Krispy,

You think Dinan will come up with something to get you back on track on the LC?
hey KK, my dad does some work for Dinan if you want to get some mods from there perhaps i can ask my dad to ask see if he can get you a discount ?
Old 11-09-2005, 06:56 PM

04 E55
Originally Posted by merc655
The only question I have is... I get it that yes it does take a good amount of skill to drive both of these cars, but I don't think it will be that hard to duplicate these performances from either given the E is a straight auto and the M5 is a clutchless manual. Unless the M5 shifts early or overrevs, he doesn't have much else to worry about. So what skill does it take besides payin attn to the tach and shiftin at the right time? I mean I drove an M3 with SMG so I know it takes more skill than an auto but its not like its a full out manual.

Oh well. Let it fly....
With the M5 the driver does have to pay closer attention to the gear and RPM he is in. You pay no attention on that for the E55. It's not that easy to shift at exactly 8250 RPM for every gear. The performance on the M5 and E55 is so close (except on the top end), any mistake that M5 driver makes (either shift too early or too late- which BMW will protect itself by no allowing you to over rev by cutting power). These mistakes will kill M5 in all out drag. The M5 driver needs way more skill than E55. With E55 you punch the gas and you go. That's it.

You drove an M3, you should know that SMGII is not that friendly when you want to downshift more than one gear at once (this has been improved in SMGIII). If you are in your E55 and sneak up on a M5 and M5 happens to be cruising in 6th gear. In that situation, M5 is a sitting duck.
Old 11-09-2005, 07:03 PM

04 E55
Originally Posted by egutie6970
hey KK, my dad does some work for Dinan if you want to get some mods from there perhaps i can ask my dad to ask see if he can get you a discount ?
I am anti-dinan. For what they offer in terms of performance vs the $$$$$$ they charge. I would prefer to go other route.

I am waiting to see what ASA can come up with in terms of forced induction on the M5 (hopefully they will not blow a hole).

Plus i haven't decide if i am going to mod this car yet. I have another spot on the M5 that I plan to take delivery when the manual comes out (plus I am hating my silverstone interior quiet a bit right now). Out of the two, i will probably choose one to mod and other one i will keep stock.

So probably nothing on the M5 until next september until i figure out what i wanted to do.
Old 11-09-2005, 07:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

KK, I think you're a bit overdramatic when defining the require skill for M5 drag racing. Like the E55, you can run the M5 in automatic mode and the car can do the same shifting as the E at the exact rpm. Or, you can choose to do the shifting yourself. It's not hard to stare at the windshield without ever looking down at the gauges (heads up display) and shift when it tells you to.

The only real difficulty is using LC and learning to feather it just right for that particular track condition to provide the best "hook up" possible. And while this LC takes some practice and skill, it is an advantage not provided to the E55. Your only choice on the E is to powerload and you won't get past 1,800 or so RPM's without wheelspin. You can do the same on the M or use the LC. I'd argue that with LC, the M5 is better prepared for a 1/4 mile track than the E55 but because of the lack of low end torque just can't hang with the E55.
Old 11-09-2005, 07:42 PM

04 E55
Originally Posted by DerekFSU
KK, I think you're a bit overdramatic when defining the require skill for M5 drag racing. Like the E55, you can run the M5 in automatic mode and the car can do the same shifting as the E at the exact rpm. Or, you can choose to do the shifting yourself. It's not hard to stare at the windshield without ever looking down at the gauges (heads up display) and shift when it tells you to.

The only real difficulty is using LC and learning to feather it just right for that particular track condition to provide the best "hook up" possible. And while this LC takes some practice and skill, it is an advantage not provided to the E55. Your only choice on the E is to powerload and you won't get past 1,800 or so RPM's without wheelspin. You can do the same on the M or use the LC. I'd argue that with LC, the M5 is better prepared for a 1/4 mile track than the E55 but because of the lack of low end torque just can't hang with the E55.
yes i am being over-dramatic. But then again, not everyone is that good of a driver. Certainly, I will need to spend more time on the M5 to get most out of it. But once that is done, yes, i will agree that i am being over dramatic. :v

I agree with you on your comment. I still don't believe with LC both of our M5 will beat E55 in 0-60. Not a chance.

I really need to get my control arm issue taken care off and run the car on the track before i take off on my 3 months trip to china. I am really dieing to see what M5 really can do. At this time, my vibration from the front is too much to be driven safely past triple digit.
Old 11-10-2005, 02:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by xraymd
Yeah, and that guy in the next lane in a Hyundai you thought wasn't going to race decides to floor it. Now what? Oh yeah, I press that big button on the floor with my foot and watch him in the rearview mirror.

If a drag isn't anticipated by the M5 driver, I guess it's over. Can you summon up launch control once in motion? I wouldn't think so because you've already "launched."
EXCELLENT point!!!
Old 11-10-2005, 02:37 AM

2006 E46 M3, 2008 E92 M3
Originally Posted by gmdebruyn
As a South African I apologize for his response. Just antagonistic. They drag race plenty there, and there's always a line of cars waiting. And unless you are driving away from an attempted carjacking, the streets are pretty damn straight and spacious last time I checked. Don't let this guy get you all worked up.
Dude seeing as you seem to LIVE in America we can agree that the drag racing scene here is pretty dead compared to America. We only have a few major tracks and they aren't of considerable quality. The drag racing scene is starting to take off YES, but it's very much small-time compared to the US. Even M&M will admit this and he drag races alot.

Have you ever driven anywhere in SA besides the major highways? Then you would know that there are ALOT of quiet and twisty roads that reward good handling cars. We also have alot of space and straights to go fast, which is lacking in alot of the major cities in the US does it not? Like alot of guys said, most of the time the only fun to be had is a quick dash past slower traffic. I don't see why anyone can take any insult to my posts?
Old 11-10-2005, 02:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2017 S63 Coupe Iridium Silver
Why no offence?

Originally Posted by EX-BEEMER
[IMG][/IMG]

Ya gotta be kidding me...

E55 launch control is so much simpler...

#1 - Advance right foot with extreme prejudice.

#2 - Grin from ear to ear.

I am SOOOOOO glad I bought my E55 when I did and didn't wait around for that. Way too much BS for what should be a simple procedure.

No offense to the M5 guys here but I'd be complaining.
Who cares if the M5 guys are offended? The've made their "informed" choice!
This is a classic! We should all frame it!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: M5 Launch Control Instructions...