Question about NAV Command unit and introduction

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-09-2005, 02:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
03 RRE Evo, 06 E55
Question about NAV Command unit and introduction

Hey Everyone;
I just got a black e55 06 a week ago and am enjoying every second of the car. Euro tuning is kind of new to me since I come from japanese import cars. But I'm most likely plannin to leave this one stock and use it as a daily driver. Anyhow, that was a little intro, my question is about playing mp3s on the stock nav command unit. Seems like the maximum # of tracks it displays is 99 and if I have more songs than that, I can't access them. Does anyone else have this problem? I'd appreciate any feedback, thanks for reading.
Old 11-09-2005, 03:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'09 911 C4S
It's one of the bugs of our vehicle.
Old 11-09-2005, 03:25 PM

03 RRE Evo, 06 E55
ahhh ok, that explains it. does mercedes release any kind of firmware upgrade or software upgrade to fix bugs like these? or is this kind of stuff here to stay.
Old 11-09-2005, 03:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'09 911 C4S
To be honest, I don't think they give a d@mn about end users.

People have been complaining about not being able to goto their preset radio channels using their steering wheel buttons for years and MB is not doing anything about it until next year.
Old 11-09-2005, 04:07 PM

03 RRE Evo, 06 E55
hmmmmm, that's interesting. Oh well, the rest of the car is still great...I was just curious because I hear people getting the dvd slot to work with mp3s and having access to a dvdr worth of music but what's the pt if you can't have more than 99 tracks.....
Old 11-09-2005, 04:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 E55
Originally Posted by tama_mog
Hey Everyone;
I just got a black e55 06 a week ago and am enjoying every second of the car. Euro tuning is kind of new to me since I come from japanese import cars. But I'm most likely plannin to leave this one stock and use it as a daily driver. Anyhow, that was a little intro, my question is about playing mp3s on the stock nav command unit. Seems like the maximum # of tracks it displays is 99 and if I have more songs than that, I can't access them. Does anyone else have this problem? I'd appreciate any feedback, thanks for reading.
I burnt my mp3s to a DVD - over 1000 songs. They all display as they play (I have a 2003E55, Euro AMG setting).I grouped them into 5 alphabetical groups.
I put groups of songs into separate folders on the DVD. Try that - perhaps in groups of <99.
Old 11-09-2005, 04:23 PM

03 RRE Evo, 06 E55
well that's the thing....all my mp3s are in different folders according to album name.....I'm not sure what you mean by amg euro settings....but when I throw in the cd, it just groups them all into 1 bunch without folder seperation and displays 99 of the first tracks it scans. With no folder options....am I missing something here?
Old 11-09-2005, 05:54 PM

2005 E55, 2010 ML350
you should see folders so you can organize the mp3's.
Old 11-09-2005, 05:56 PM

2005 E55, 2010 ML350
Originally Posted by OzE55
I burnt my mp3s to a DVD - over 1000 songs. They all display as they play (I have a 2003E55, Euro AMG setting).I grouped them into 5 alphabetical groups.
I put groups of songs into separate folders on the DVD. Try that - perhaps in groups of <99.
Oz, i've tried every recipe under the sun (probably don't have a DVD drive, but i'm stubborn). What is the recipe you use to burn your mp3's to DVD. I want to see if my single disk player is a DVD drive or not. I have a 2005 E55. What type of DVD media are you using? What DVD program are you using to make the disk? What settings are you using in the program?

Your help would be much appreciated.
Thanks,
Gareth
Old 11-09-2005, 06:12 PM

03 RRE Evo, 06 E55
OK, I just went over the navigation manual for my 06 e55....I think I know what's going on now. Looks like the thing should work fine under the single command dvd drive....dunno if it will, but I will try it after work. But this whole time I've been chuckin my cds into the cd changer and that's why it plays the mp3s all funky. I'm surprised though, in the manual it says nothing about using mp3 discs with the changer....oh well. I would think for the dvds you use standard joliet file system under iso9660 and use mode1 and disc @ once burning with extended file names. That should get it ready to go.
Old 11-09-2005, 07:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 335 vert, 2004 MDX
Welcome to the board! Keep us informed. I have the iPod integration kit and haven't tried burning mp3's. I'd be curious about your results because you just can't "crank the tunes" with the iPod. Its amp is just too wimpy.
Old 11-09-2005, 08:19 PM

03 RRE Evo, 06 E55
OK I was being retarded basically....here's the "results" of my finding.

1) mp3 cds play perfectly fine in the nav command slot on top with folder browsing etc.
2) mp3 cds can play in the cd changers but the system just takes randomly 99 tracks and reads them inline with each other with no folder options.
3) my idiotic self thought this whole time the dvdrom drive is the top slot in the car, as opposed to the left side of the trunk.

Now things make a lot more sense (as opposed to me kept pushin eject on the command nav spot thinking why isn't the navigation dvd coming out.

I'm not sure about burnin mp3s to a dvd though, gonna try it out sometime and see if I can get that to work.
Old 11-09-2005, 08:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 E55
Originally Posted by gmdebruyn
Oz, i've tried every recipe under the sun (probably don't have a DVD drive, but i'm stubborn). What is the recipe you use to burn your mp3's to DVD. I want to see if my single disk player is a DVD drive or not. I have a 2005 E55. What type of DVD media are you using? What DVD program are you using to make the disk? What settings are you using in the program?

Your help would be much appreciated.
Thanks,
Gareth

OK. I live in Australia and had a soft ware upgrade for my 2003 E55 so the single slot at the top of the COMAND would play mp3 DVDs (and CDs I think).
As I understand it the 2004 onwards should have the correct software.
The Euro setting for the COMAND PROBABLY has nothing to do with it but do a search of '3-5-7' or see this thread -https://mbworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=95655&highlight=3-5-7

To see if you have a DVD reader in the top slot position (as tama-mog found out the Navigation DVD unit is in the trunk) put a movie DVD in the slot with COMAND on and see if you get sound +/- vision. If you do you have a DVD reader)

Now, I use NERO, joliet, SLOW burn speed (4x), burn at once (not multisession) and use a good quality DVD ( I used DVD-R format).
Try doing it as a 'data DVD' or 'make an mp3 DVD', both NERO options. I cannot remember which setting I used.

Despite doing this I some times have to burn 2 or 3 to get one that plays (so save to "job" in NERO before exiting the programme).

Now if you do have a DVD reader but it still wont work you may need to seek out 'Steves' advice ( see his post in the above thread - MBenzNL).

On DVD you can play the music loud but its still softer than radio - -??? has something to do with the way the mp3 files are 'configured'. :p
Old 11-10-2005, 12:19 AM

03 RRE Evo, 06 E55
well I just tried burning a dvdr to try on the command unit. It didn't say anything but chucked the dvdr back out. the thing was burned in the exact same format as my cd was....iso9660 format extenstion etc. But I'm happy enough as it is. In the manual it says it only takes cds as well, instead of dvds.