New K2 times + thoughts on modifications

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-13-2005 | 09:10 PM
Administrator
MBWorld Ambassador

Drives Slowly
New K2 times + thoughts on modifications

I visited the track again yesterday with my K2, E55. It seems the more I frequent to the track the more I learn about what performance modifications can and cannot do for the car. The visits also give me a new appreciation for what the engineers at Mercedes pump out of the factory.

So, first the race- It was a sunny 70 degree day at the track. I ran with PS2 tires at normal pressure and TC on. Next to me, in lane two was an old beat-up Z28 (and I'm thinking: ) Well, you know the drill.................Yellow, Yellow, Yellow, and Green!!!!!! and we are off. After about three seconds into the race I'm saying to myself WTF!!!! This kid's car is at least four car lengths ahead of me and it stayed that way through the 1/8 mile point. If this would have been a street confrontation, I just got killed, BIG TIME!!!! Fortunately, the race was a bit longer, so my K2 modifications allowed me to viciously blow by his 12.3 @ 109.79 run with a 12.18 @ the strong trap speed of 122.51mph. It's incredible how close this race was, considering the power of my car compared to that old Z28....................................it just makes you think.

So, I offer the following thoughts about the E55 and modifications:

1. A stock E55 is a very capable car and can keep up with or even beat a modified car (running stock tires) from the dig, (1/4 mile race).

2. Traction is without a doubt the biggest limiting factor in terms of acceleration. I remember a thread asking for the best bang-for-the-buck modification. I think Derek FSU said, ".........a set of drag radials." I am now convinced this is correct!! I saw countless cars with low 11 sec. times trapping at 115 mph.

3. K2 modifications will make the E55 significantly more powerful and responsive but the stock E55 seems to get its power to the ground so effectively that in 95% of driving situations, the added power is overkill.

4. LSD, Not sure on this one. My 0-60ft times were 2.1 before and after the modification. Granted, all my runs have been completed with TC on so, maybe I am not giving the LSD a chance to work for me. I have tried to run the car without TC but all I am able to do is spin and go sideways.

Summary: The stock E55 is an incredible car!!!! This machine really only needs to be modified if you need overkill. Unfortunately, I need overkill..........................just in case.
Attached Thumbnails New K2 times + thoughts on modifications-time-slip2.jpg  

Last edited by Rock; 11-13-2005 at 09:58 PM.
Old 11-13-2005 | 09:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Get DR's and say. "HELLO" to the 11's. My first K2 runs were 12.2 and I was VERY disapointed. After adding the LSD and DR's, I ran consistent 11.8's & 11.9's with some 11.7's and a best of 11.65 @ 121.7 mph.
Old 11-13-2005 | 09:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'72 Suburban
Looks like you just need more seat time with the car to get used to launching it. Great MPH, you just need to put it to the pavement
Old 11-13-2005 | 11:24 PM

04E55AMG, 05Dodge RAM 1500 Quad Cab, 02Montero Limited
Originally Posted by Rock
I visited the track again yesterday with my K2, E55. It seems the more I frequent to the track the more I learn about what performance modifications can and cannot do for the car. The visits also give me a new appreciation for what the engineers at Mercedes pump out of the factory.

So, first the race- It was a sunny 70 degree day at the track. I ran with PS2 tires at normal pressure and TC on. Next to me, in lane two was an old beat-up Z28 (and I'm thinking: ) Well, you know the drill.................Yellow, Yellow, Yellow, and Green!!!!!! and we are off. After about three seconds into the race I'm saying to myself WTF!!!! This kid's car is at least four car lengths ahead of me and it stayed that way through the 1/8 mile point. If this would have been a street confrontation, I just got killed, BIG TIME!!!! Fortunately, the race was a bit longer, so my K2 modifications allowed me to viciously blow by his 12.3 @ 109.79 run with a 12.18 @ the strong trap speed of 122.51mph. It's incredible how close this race was, considering the power of my car compared to that old Z28....................................it just makes you think.

So, I offer the following thoughts about the E55 and modifications:

1. A stock E55 is a very capable car and can keep up with or even beat a modified car (running stock tires) from the dig, (1/4 mile race).

2. Traction is without a doubt the biggest limiting factor in terms of acceleration. I remember a thread asking for the best bang-for-the-buck modification. I think Derek FSU said, ".........a set of drag radials." I am now convinced this is correct!! I saw countless cars with low 11 sec. times trapping at 115 mph.

3. K2 modifications will make the E55 significantly more powerful and responsive but the stock E55 seems to get its power to the ground so effectively that in 95% of driving situations, the added power is overkill.

4. LSD, Not sure on this one. My 0-60ft times were 2.1 before and after the modification. Granted, all my runs have been completed with TC on so, maybe I am not giving the LSD a chance to work for me. I have tried to run the car without TC but all I am able to do is spin and go sideways.

Summary: The stock E55 is an incredible car!!!! This machine really only needs to be modified if you need overkill. Unfortunately, I need overkill..........................just in case.
Getting Better