Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Owners Of New M5 Seem Dissappointed

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-17-2005, 11:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Improviz
I suppose it's coming here and trying to influence people's decisions towards another brand by insulting their cars and aping up their competitors. You can get away with that for awhile, but once a clear pattern emerges it is pretty simple to show it, and thus strip you of whatever credibility it is that you seek.

Which is, I believe, why you and many other BMW trolls dislike me personally: because I am effective at it.

I now return you to your regularly scheduled plugs for BMW and trolling.
Hard worker, fast typer...etc...I would give you that! Effective? you aren't even close....simply by the fact that me and all these other dudes are still here "throlling" around...
Old 11-17-2005, 11:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG
HEy anyone can confirm about M5 having a launch control... coz this article states that its one option not included for north america.

The only mechanical difference between the European-spec M5 and the one sold in America is the elimination of the SMG's Launch mode. At least, that's the only difference BMW will admit to. Although Launch mode does make it easier to blow off that Camaro from a stoplight, and it is similar to the system used in BMW's F1 racers, you won't miss it. Even without Launch mode, BMW says the M5 will hit 60 mph in 4.5 seconds.

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...leId=103035#17

OWNED.
Old 11-17-2005, 12:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55 AMG
Originally Posted by MikeHK
Hard worker, fast typer...etc...I would give you that! Effective? you aren't even close....simply by the fact that me and all these other dudes are still here "throlling" around...
I would simply state that the fact that you, who as I showed from your posting history are plainly here only to hawk BMWs and assail Mercedes, are plainly angry with my actions, shows that I am effective.

Can I make you go away? No, because I am not a moderator. But I can certainly make people aware of why it is you're here, and what it is you're about, which again has obviously gotten you upset--just as my pointing out the flaws and inadequacies of the many other BMW trolls' arguments here also upsets you, judging by the frequency of attacks you've made against me.

Which is fine: it only underscores that you are here not for discussion, but to attack Mercedes and its owners. You came here in response to a flamebait post on an M forum, and have never left, seemingly because you have some deep-seated resentment of Mercedes and their owners.

So no, I can't make you leave, but I can make certain that nobody takes you seriously, thus ensuring that each and every word you type in these forums is a complete and utter waste of your time, which kind of balances things out given the amount of our time you waste.
Old 11-17-2005, 12:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
04 E55
Originally Posted by BoBcanada
HEy anyone can confirm about M5 having a launch control... coz this article states that its one option not included for north america.

The only mechanical difference between the European-spec M5 and the one sold in America is the elimination of the SMG's Launch mode. At least, that's the only difference BMW will admit to. Although Launch mode does make it easier to blow off that Camaro from a stoplight, and it is similar to the system used in BMW's F1 racers, you won't miss it. Even without Launch mode, BMW says the M5 will hit 60 mph in 4.5 seconds.

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...leId=103035#17

OWNED.
US M5 does have launch control. And like the US M3 it launches at 2k RPM (or 1800 to be exactly).

I launched 4 or 5 times already, and confirm it does exist.
Old 11-17-2005, 12:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG
Originally Posted by krispykrme
US M5 does have launch control. And like the US M3 it launches at 2k RPM (or 1800 to be exactly).

I launched 4 or 5 times already, and confirm it does exist.
Does the M5 manual says anything about it? Or is it like a hidden feature ? M3 launch control wasnt promoted in North america i belive but it did exist correct me if im wrong.
Old 11-17-2005, 01:55 PM

04 E55
Originally Posted by BoBcanada
Does the M5 manual says anything about it? Or is it like a hidden feature ? M3 launch control wasnt promoted in North america i belive but it did exist correct me if im wrong.
I did not bother to read the manual on the M5. But i do know for the fact that is was not in the M3 manual.

M3 does have detuned version of the LC. Same with US M5. Technically speaking it is not the LC as it was original designed to be.

But you can launch both M5 and M3 at 1800RPM.

regards
Old 11-17-2005, 02:07 PM

No way the M5 will do 0-60 in 4.5 without the LC...

And you guys are using "owned" and "pwned" too lightly .
Old 11-17-2005, 02:16 PM

04 E55
Originally Posted by Mardeth
No way the M5 will do 0-60 in 4.5 without the LC...

And you guys are using "owned" and "pwned" too lightly .
E55 does 0-60 in 4.1 to 4.5 range, M5 does 4.5 is possible. Even though E55 0-60 is faster than M5 (at least from my experience), M5 is not that much slower. You just don't get the snap your head effect.

Plus, I have not been able to spun the wheels on the M5 during hard straight acceleration. M5 does an excellent job in keeping the power wheel planted. Hence all power transfer to the ground are not wasted.
Old 11-17-2005, 02:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
06 SL65 / 97 993tt /11 Suburban/ 2012 GTR (AMG è la mia Famiglia la Bestia è la mia protezione)
I did not bother to read the manual on the M5. But i do know for the fact that is was not in the M3 manual.

M3 does have detuned version of the LC. Same with US M5. Technically speaking it is not the LC as it was original designed to be.

But you can launch both M5 and M3 at 1800RPM.

regards
Is there a limit to the # of times the LC can be used in a given time period?
Old 11-17-2005, 02:37 PM

2005 Brilliant Silver E55
E55 does 0-60 in 4.1 to 4.5 range, M5 does 4.5 is possible. Even though E55 0-60 is faster than M5 (at least from my experience), M5 is not that much slower. You just don't get the snap your head effect.

Plus, I have not been able to spun the wheels on the M5 during hard straight acceleration. M5 does an excellent job in keeping the power wheel planted. Hence all power transfer to the ground are not wasted.

KK, can you help me with the M-Drive menu? I still don't have that option. Retarded dealer still didn't give me an owner's manual.
Old 11-17-2005, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by E55_POWER
KK, can you help me with the M-Drive menu? I still don't have that option. Retarded dealer still didn't give me an owner's manual.
http://www.e60.net/information/2006_..._Manual_US.pdf page 44

Last edited by Mardeth; 11-17-2005 at 03:30 PM.
Old 11-17-2005, 04:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
1951 Caterpiller D6

That is exactly the feeling that was missing. From a standstill, the M did not snap my neck like I thought a car with 500HP would. Spining the tires was not easy but I was able to manage some limited wheelspin. The drivetrain, down to the tires is perfectly matched. The gearing, torque, tire contact patch, etc all are fairly equally matched and provide maximum accelleration with minimal wheelspin. If this engine had more low end torque or a shorter first gear behind it, the tires would start spinning. Once on its up on its power curve, the engine would be able to roast the tires uncontrollably.
Old 11-17-2005, 04:21 PM

04 E55
My flight in was delayed so i was not able to do anything last night.

I will post picture to make this easier shortly tonight.

Step by Step.

1. Press Menu button (this should bring you back to the main menu).
2. In the main menu, press the I-drive knob (don't select any of the menu), just press it.
3. Scroll down to vehicle settings.
4. Once in the vehicle setting menu, push the I-drive knob forward (you should be at top of vehicle setting menu.
5. Scroll to the right- The M-drive menu is there. Also, M-drive menu is accesbile during motion.

I will post picture tonight.
Old 11-17-2005, 04:23 PM

04 E55
Originally Posted by AMGfan
Is there a limit to the # of times the LC can be used in a given time period?
Not I am aware of. But i did smell a little clutch burn after using it 4 or 5 time in sucession.
Old 11-17-2005, 06:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 CLS55 AMG
I read somewhere here that its possible to increase the engine speed that the car will launch at. Something like while your in LC still holding the SMG lever forward, you can blip the accelerator to dial in additional revs. Is this not true?
Old 11-17-2005, 06:55 PM

02 ML320, 06 E350
Not I am aware of. But i did smell a little clutch burn after using it 4 or 5 time in sucession.
my sales guy told me that every time you use LC on the M3 it takes about 3,000 miles off the life of the clutch. A long time ago on the M3 forums someone asked if you could only use it a certain number of times then a rumor of only 20 times before they void your warranty then it went to 25 then it went to 30. well another member said i dont know if this is true or not but in the US they cant have an element to the car that has a limited number of uses. and there is nothing in the manual for US cars and the dealers wont tell you anything i had to ask my sales guy who is an M car nut about it. so basically since its not written about there are no regulations about it. really on the M3 its not worth using LC it takes to much time the car has to be at a dead stop and prob 5 or 6 times out of the 8 or so ive used it the tires would just spin cuse of the type of street surface i was on.
Old 11-17-2005, 07:03 PM

a few...
Seeing as I don't have an M5, and someone with one will answer this question... my M3 that I had previous had SMG with Launch Control. You could not dial in extra revs past the 1800 mark but you could vary the throttle input. Say for instance that you only needed maybe 30% throttle to get to 1800 rpm in LC, but you could still use much more throttle, it just wouldn't add any more revs... it would only smoke the hell out of the tires once you did this. Hopefully that gives you a little more insight, but I am guessing that the M5 would probably be the same way.
Old 11-17-2005, 07:37 PM

04 E55
Originally Posted by merc655
Seeing as I don't have an M5, and someone with one will answer this question... my M3 that I had previous had SMG with Launch Control. You could not dial in extra revs past the 1800 mark but you could vary the throttle input. Say for instance that you only needed maybe 30% throttle to get to 1800 rpm in LC, but you could still use much more throttle, it just wouldn't add any more revs... it would only smoke the hell out of the tires once you did this. Hopefully that gives you a little more insight, but I am guessing that the M5 would probably be the same way.
It does not matter. The throttle is by wire. In LC mode, you can floor the gas pedal, you still not going to be able to get more gas to launch the car at higher RPM.

If you don't floor it, when you release the gear shifter, you are simply telling the car not to use full throttle after launching at 1800 RPM.

Even at full throttle and release the clutch, i am still not able to get the wheel to spin.
Old 11-17-2005, 07:39 PM

04 E55
Originally Posted by VelocitE55
I read somewhere here that its possible to increase the engine speed that the car will launch at. Something like while your in LC still holding the SMG lever forward, you can blip the accelerator to dial in additional revs. Is this not true?
Not true. All you can do is 1800 RPM, if you keep on press the gas pedal, the RPM needle will just bump to 1800 RPM, drop down a little, and bump up to 1800 RPM again.
Old 11-17-2005, 07:45 PM

04 E55
Originally Posted by BiTurboV12 AMG
my sales guy told me that every time you use LC on the M3 it takes about 3,000 miles off the life of the clutch. A long time ago on the M3 forums someone asked if you could only use it a certain number of times then a rumor of only 20 times before they void your warranty then it went to 25 then it went to 30. well another member said i dont know if this is true or not but in the US they cant have an element to the car that has a limited number of uses. and there is nothing in the manual for US cars and the dealers wont tell you anything i had to ask my sales guy who is an M car nut about it. so basically since its not written about there are no regulations about it. really on the M3 its not worth using LC it takes to much time the car has to be at a dead stop and prob 5 or 6 times out of the 8 or so ive used it the tires would just spin cuse of the type of street surface i was on.
after seeing your post, I did remember that I was able to spin the wheel on the M3 at 1800 RPM couple times. I can't recall what type of surface i was on though.

hmm, i need to dig up the M3 engine spec to see what it is putting down at wheels at 1800RPM vs M5.
Old 11-17-2005, 07:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 CLS55 AMG
Ok, got it. So its basically like banging off the rev limiter at redline, but the system just moves the rev limiter down to 1800rpm.
Old 11-18-2005, 12:13 AM

04 E55
Originally Posted by VelocitE55
Ok, got it. So its basically like banging off the rev limiter at redline, but the system just moves the rev limiter down to 1800rpm.
yes. that is correct.
Old 11-18-2005, 12:18 AM

04 E55
Step by Step.

1. Press Menu button (this should bring you back to the main menu).

2. In the main menu, press the I-drive knob (don't select any of the menu), just press it.
3. Scroll down to vehicle settings.

4. Once in the vehicle setting menu, push the I-drive knob forward (you should be at top of vehicle setting menu.

5. Scroll to the right- The M-drive menu is there. Also, M-drive menu is accesbile during motion.

Old 11-18-2005, 12:47 AM

2005 Brilliant Silver E55
Thanks KK! I found it earlier. Turns out you have to do this while the car is not running. Also what's the difference between P500 and P500 Sport? I barely feel any diffence between P400 and P500. I have used P500 Sport and the car seems much more responsive, but then it did drop down to 30 degrees tonight so I'm sure that had lots to do with it. I'm really torn at this point on whether to trade or just keep. Dealer offered $94K today for my M...problem then would be, what next? I'm seriously thinking of taking flying lessons since cars don't seem to do much for me these days. My thinks I'm koo koo
Old 11-18-2005, 12:52 AM

04 E55
Thanks KK! I found it earlier. Turns out you have to do this while the car is not running. Also what's the difference between P500 and P500 Sport? I barely feel any diffence between P400 and P500. I have used P500 Sport and the car seems much more responsive, but then it did drop down to 30 degrees tonight so I'm sure that had lots to do with it. I'm really torn at this point on whether to trade or just keep. Dealer offered $94K today for my M...problem then would be, what next? I'm seriously thinking of taking flying lessons since cars don't seem to do much for me these days. My thinks I'm koo koo
That's strange. Because I can only access the M-drive menu when the car is started. But i can access it anytime after that.

P500 sport means that the throttle is advanced more quickly. In other word a more agressive throttle mapping hence more responsive to you throttle input.

The difference between P400 and P500 is more apparent when you rev the engine. But for daily drive, its barely noticeable.

For example in P400, the M engine behave really like the E55 engine that seems to run out of steam past 5k RPM. In the P500 mode, the M engine is very powerful with much quicker speed build up. But you can't tell since it does not have the torque snapping effect.

Last edited by krispykrme; 11-18-2005 at 01:00 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Owners Of New M5 Seem Dissappointed