Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

E55 project complete........pics

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-25-2005, 01:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK320
Thank you for taking the time to explain your audio setup. With or without the rims the car is still a beautiful car and your mods are all in excellent taste.
Old 11-25-2005, 02:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 E55
Geez, some of you guys are harsh.

This man bares his soul to show you his pride and joy and some of you are less than charitable (or are as subtle as a sledge hammer).

Both the cars on this thread are outstanding and I would be proud to own either (or both! )
Old 11-25-2005, 08:11 AM
Almost a Member!

p10t
Thumbs up excellent!

beautiful, sleeper car. just imagine pulling up to it and not expecting it to rip somebody a new one.

excellent from every angle, great taste and choice. what do you think about slight tinting?
also the 1/4mile times are those on drag radials or regular tires? the car is obviously very capable of mid 11s.

did i say that the car is awesome already, well if i did, then i'll say again - AWESOME!
Old 11-25-2005, 09:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
300ce
Geez, some of you guys are harsh.
This man bares his soul to show you his pride and joy and some of you are less than charitable (or are as subtle as a sledge hammer).
Both the cars on this thread are outstanding and I would be proud to own either (or both! )
...........thanks. When I started this thread I fully understood that not everything on the car will be liked by everyone. I am a big boy and I can handle the comments. I prefer to think that most people have been genuine. However, I think it it is difficult for a select few to come to grips with the idea that someone else might like things done differently. The other car posted on the forum has been on the forum for a while and I had seen the pics of the car. I could have easily simply done the same thing to my car as he/she did but chose to do it differently, because our tastes are different. You may think that your wife is the most beautiful woman on earth.........well, until you watch the miss universe peagent.

Ted
Old 11-25-2005, 09:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

300ce
..........whats interesting is that the one thing I don't really like is the chrome rings around the headlights. I was expecting people to pick on that right away, but no one has. I bought ther car with those chrome rings on and when I tried to remove it, it left remnants of dirty adhesive on the edges of the headlight. So I put the rings back on.

.........I have some much carbon fiber in the interior of the car and did not want carbon fiber overkill by doing the door pillars in rear trunk spoiler in carbon fiber. I actually removed the OEM carbon fiber door pillar inserts and replaced them with plain black ones. My trunk lid spoiler was the smallest I could find and I chose not to go with a rear roof wing in a 4 door sedan. My goal was to make the exterior different but not overstated.

excellent from every angle, great taste and choice. what do you think about slight tinting?
also the 1/4mile times are those on drag radials or regular tires? the car is obviously very capable of mid 11s.

.........When I bought the car, it had tinted windows. The first thing I did was to have the tint removed.
.........I have raced the car with both regular tires and drag radials. I am yet to successful race it with full slicks. The 11.9 wa on regular tires. My previous 12.28 a few weeks ago was on drag radials. I think this is just a reflection learning how to launch the car now vs then, because the car will spin whatever tire is on it even in second gear.

Ted
Old 11-25-2005, 02:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,015 Likes on 818 Posts
E55, GLS450, GL63, GLE350
whats interesting is that the one thing I don't really like is the chrome rings around the headlights. I was expecting people to pick on that right away, but no one has.
Yeah, I really don't like the chrome headlight rings or the door handle inserts but I didn't want to bring up too many negative things on an otherwise very nice car.
Old 11-25-2005, 02:16 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2008 Bentley GTC, Porsche GT2/EVOMS GT700, 1968 Dodge Charger Hemi
Damn Ted, that is one sweet ride!!!

I love it, SHOW & GO!!!!
Old 11-25-2005, 03:23 PM
Out Of Control!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Ted Baldwin
.......more pics
Ted Congrats on your project! Although i'm a bit puzzled by your dyno. 433rwhp? If you have custom ecu, high flow cats and headers i would think your rwhp would net more than that. Is that an old dyno maybe? Pls elaborate.
Old 11-25-2005, 03:41 PM

Congrats on the beautiful ride, Ted. I have to jump on your wheels too, though. They could look a lot better.

I would have kept the tint though.

..........whats interesting is that the one thing I don't really like is the chrome rings around the headlights. I was expecting people to pick on that right away, but no one has.
.........When I bought the car, it had tinted windows. The first thing I did was to have the tint removed.
Ted
Old 11-25-2005, 09:57 PM

AMG 55, 335i, Mini Cooper S
Nice ride and I love the horsepower. Looks like you spent a ton of money, tears and sweat into your baby.
With all that power, how are the brakes doing? I'm thinking about upgrading to Stoptech 355mm and I even have less HP than you.
Enjoy your beast.
Mario
Old 11-25-2005, 10:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

300ce
Ted Congrats on your project! Although i'm a bit puzzled by your dyno. 433rwhp? If you have custom ecu, high flow cats and headers i would think your rwhp would net more than that. Is that an old dyno maybe? Pls elaborate
.........you would expect higher HP figures based on manufacturer/vendors claims. Also, I am not really sure how much HP high flow Cats and headers add to your car. Sometimes the gains from the headers are only realised if the stock resonators are removed. Having said that, based on real world dyno results from multiple Kleemann cars I've seen, my dyno result is about correct. As you know I have been one of the "trouble makers" asking that exergerated HP claims should stop. DragonAMG who has C55 S7 has 531crank HP which translates to 424HP. His car has a listed stock HP of 362, mine is 345. Although there are lots of claims, I am yet to see actual Dyno in RWHP of a Kleemann W210 that has higher HP and torque figures. There is a W208 E55 with with Kleemann s/c and ECu with numbers identical to mine. And you can see that they were quite excited to about it. They wouldn't be that ecited about it, if the result was common.LINK .

........I wanted this to be an 11 second car. So I did a 3.06 diff which has helped immensely by allowing me to start in second gear and having one less gear shift change in a 1/4 mile run. The only other 11 second W210 is Jim Cannon's car which essentially is w211 E55.LINK

...........I have asked the same question you posed. The answer appears to be that contrary to all the claims, this indeed is as good as it gets......FOR NOW. I understand that Kleemann is working on larger displacement and low compression modifications that will allow then to run their s/c at higher boost.

.........I am very happy with the car and have learned that while HP and torque figures are important, the biggest limitation in such a car is traction and driver experience in launching the car.

Nice ride and I love the horsepower. Looks like you spent a ton of money, tears and sweat into your baby.
With all that power, how are the brakes doing? I'm thinking about upgrading to Stoptech 355mm and I even have less HP than you.
...........I think the stoptech brakes look great and so do the Brembo's. Honestly not sure if they offer any better stopping power than the stock AMG brakes.

Ted
Old 11-25-2005, 11:12 PM

AMG 55, 335i, Mini Cooper S
I have riden in an E55 210 with Stoptech and damn! that car can stop so hard, it's scary and it can do it over and over again. In one year I have gone through two sets of AMG rotors because they warped. Stock rotors are over $500 for two, which is very $$$ for stock rotors. Now with my new HRE's I can now tell how ugly my stock front brakes are.
Old 11-25-2005, 11:29 PM
Out Of Control!

.........you would expect higher HP figures based on manufacturer/vendors claims. Also, I am not really sure how much HP high flow Cats and headers add to your car. Sometimes the gains from the headers are only realised if the stock resonators are removed. Having said that, based on real world dyno results from multiple Kleemann cars I've seen, my dyno result is about correct. As you know I have been one of the "trouble makers" asking that exergerated HP claims should stop. DragonAMG who has C55 S7 has 531crank HP which translates to 424HP. His car has a listed stock HP of 362, mine is 345. Although there are lots of claims, I am yet to see actual Dyno in RWHP of a Kleemann W210 that has higher HP and torque figures. There is a W208 E55 with with Kleemann s/c and ECu with numbers identical to mine. And you can see that they were quite excited to about it. They wouldn't be that ecited about it, if the result was common.LINK .

........I wanted this to be an 11 second car. So I did a 3.06 diff which has helped immensely by allowing me to start in second gear and having one less gear shift change in a 1/4 mile run. The only other 11 second W210 is Jim Cannon's car which essentially is w211 E55.LINK

...........I have asked the same question you posed. The answer appears to be that contrary to all the claims, this indeed is as good as it gets......FOR NOW. I understand that Kleemann is working on larger displacement and low compression modifications that will allow then to run their s/c at higher boost.

.........I am very happy with the car and have learned that while HP and torque figures are important, the biggest limitation in such a car is traction and driver experience in launching the car.
That's very interesting. I'll try and see if i can dyno mine one of these days and see what the result is. About the larger displacement and lower compression, i've inquired about that and it's going to be too expensive. But they might be doing something else.
Old 11-30-2005, 12:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

300ce
That's very interesting. I'll try and see if i can dyno mine one of these days and see what the result is. About the larger displacement and lower compression, i've inquired about that and it's going to be too expensive. But they might be doing something else
.............Please post your dyno when you get it done. We need more dyno's of these cars to get a better idea what expected HP should be. Regarding the engine displacement modification by Kleemann, I am not suprised that the cost is high since V8 s/c costs about $15K. Even if cost is not an issue for some, it may soon be a better option to simply buy a W220 s600 or even S65 for the same cost of purchasing the Kleemann larger displacement/low compression engine. So, Kleemann will need to price it strategically.

Ted
Old 11-30-2005, 12:36 AM

2018 GMC Sierra Denali
Great car very unique...question for anyone reading these posts...wondering if anyone knows of any AMG badges or emblems that will fit on the plain silver plate gear shifter on a C55. I noticed you have a AMG logo badge on yours wondering where you got it or any other ones like it are sold.
Old 11-30-2005, 03:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

4 wheeled car.
Originally Posted by BuckeyeBenz
Great car very unique...question for anyone reading these posts...wondering if anyone knows of any AMG badges or emblems that will fit on the plain silver plate gear shifter on a C55. I noticed you have a AMG logo badge on yours wondering where you got it or any other ones like it are sold.
ebay
Old 11-30-2005, 05:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

excellent job, but you HAVE to seriously change that intake, thats not a custom intake, its just an open air filter in the engine bay robbing serious HP. if you can do a sealed system using a heatsheilded filter going to toward the front grille you will get much better results power wise (though u do sacrifice sound volume, its worth the power gained).
Old 11-30-2005, 08:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

300ce
.........most of these trinklets we put on our cars are indeed available on ebay. Contrary to what others might claim, none of these trinklets is really a genuine AMG part. But by being selective you can put these things together on your car in tasteful way. Ebay to me is amazing, you can even buy Ferrari Enzo's on ebay. My particular shift knob was purchased from CarpartsDiscount. Here is the LINK .I purchased one 4 years ago for my CLK, but was unable to find it this time on ebay. I wish I did, it would have saved me time.

excellent job, but you HAVE to seriously change that intake, thats not a custom intake, its just an open air filter in the engine bay robbing serious HP. if you can do a sealed system using a heatsheilded filter going to toward the front grille you will get much better results power wise (though u do sacrifice sound volume, its worth the power gained).
.........thanks for the compliment. Your analysis is quite correct. I have a GruppeM intake on order.

Ted
Old 11-30-2005, 03:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

4 wheeled car.
Ted, did you get rear E320 brakes so you could get the cross drilled rotors? Where did you get the fronts?
Old 11-30-2005, 09:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

300ce
Originally Posted by The Godfather
Ted, did you get rear E320 brakes so you could get the cross drilled rotors? Where did you get the fronts?
...........No. My front brakes are the stock AMG rotors and calipers. There are no W210 E55 cross drilled rotors available from any vendor I could find, except if you buy a big brake kit. So, I purchased the stock front and rear rotors from the MB dealer and had them custom cross drilled and slotted by a machine shop locally. They were hessitant to do it, but agreed when I assured them that I wouldn't hold them responsible if the rotors were damaged in the process. My rear calipers were later changed to E320 calipers simply to accommodate the 15 inch rim that I plan to use to run slicks.

Ted
Old 12-16-2005, 10:35 PM

c43
very nice not big fan of the rims but very impressive performance mods.... was there any other performance or suspension you could have done? sways? poly bushings? evosport pullie? did u upgrade shocks?
Old 12-16-2005, 10:39 PM

c43
and if traction was such an issue, why did you not roll the fenders or use a dremel, remove inner fender stuff and pull the bumpers out a bit to get more tire in there, should fit slicks then I would assume, would not cost more than 300 bucks either for massive work like that
Old 12-17-2005, 12:00 AM

'05 C55 Black/Black Lighting, Premium, NAV
Damn Ted. Between the E55 and the G55,,,,very nice. When I grow up I want to be one of your cars....
Old 12-17-2005, 12:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
00 KLEEMANN CLK 430 - 02 KLEEMANN CLK55 - 88 Euro / Jap AMG 560 SEC Widebody
Ted, you're Ballin' Baldwin.....
Old 12-17-2005, 12:31 AM

c43
Originally Posted by mez456
Damn Ted. Between the E55 and the G55,,,,very nice. When I grow up I want to be one of your cars....
when I grow up I want to be a g55... or blue... yeah a g55 or blue that would be tight

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: E55 project complete........pics