W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Caddy STS-V direct compitition to E55....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-03-2005, 02:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A SL55 delivered 8/18/07, and an E55 wagon delivered 5/11/05
Caddy STS-V direct compitition to E55....

per the claim made by the pitchman at the Cadillac test drive event at El Toro. I think not. $77,500, ugly has hell (I can say hell without getting banned?) 469HP (familiar#)/430 torque.

I was able to take it out on a course they set up and open it up a little. (Not AMG Challange but it was free). Handled like poop, not as fast as the E55, and the supercharger whined like hell. pay the extra 15000 for the E55.

I did like the CTS-V its a much better car, faster and handle better and is $25,000 less. Now if the would just offer a Auto Trans in it I would consider it to be a daily driver . I hate a stick when I am stuck in traffic. I would gadly give up 5% performance for an A/T.

Drove the XLR for $10,000 less my SLK beats the pants off it performance wise. They did not have XLR-V there.

Now off topic on the way home I believe I was the intended victim of the staged accident scam. An A-hole in an old Taurus cut me off in the rain then slammed his brakes on for no reason. I was able to manuver my way around him with out hitting him. He than takes off I caught up to him a few blocks later at a stop light and started yelling at him he just ignored me.

Wolf
Old 12-03-2005, 03:39 PM

'10 MB E63, '08 ML550 ('05 E55, '05 SL55, '08 E63 GONE)
Originally Posted by Mr Wolf
I did like the CTS-V its a much better car, faster and handle better and is $25,000 less.
Can't say I would buy it (or the STS) but I like what Cadillac is doing. Some people don't like the edgy looks but the lines all work (unlike BMW), while the performance isn't the very best it sure as heck isn't all that bad. Nice to see an American brand stepping it up.

Drove the XLR for $10,000 less my SLK beats the pants off it performance wise. They did not have XLR-V there.
OK... I like what they're doing w/ the exception of the XLR. Yes, I guess it competes w/the SL500/SL55 etc., but they're not selling for a reason.

Now off topic on the way home I believe I was the intended victim of the staged accident scam. An A-hole in an old Taurus cut me off in the rain then slammed his brakes on for no reason. I was able to manuver my way around him with out hitting him. He than takes off I caught up to him a few blocks later at a stop light and started yelling at him he just ignored me.
As a east coast driver here in SoCal I can tell you that when water comes down from the sky, ANY native Californian driver is liable to slam on the breaks at any given moment.

~ Ian
Old 12-03-2005, 08:28 PM

E63, GT500
Ian I agree...It's nice to see Cadillac offering a four door with 469 hp...They might not have gotten where they need to go with the STS-V but they are trying and improving.
Old 12-03-2005, 09:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
'03 G500, '13 G63, '17 GLS63,
Too bad the STS-V is UGLY!! I agree with you on the CTS-V. An added plus is that it now comes with the LS2, with more torque than the previous years.
Old 12-03-2005, 09:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

mymbonline
a 80000$ cadillac
r they
for the same amount of $ u can get an e55, my moms was 87k w/ options

motor trend tested a stsv vs. cls55
cls whooped its *** in almost every category

by the way, Mr. Wolf, does ur plate say jimsamg? or something like that
i saw a blue slk on the 405 s. yesterday at about 1 maybe 1:15
was that u?
i was driving my loaner c240 wagon w/ my mountain bike in the back ( i ****ed up that interior really bad :p )
Old 12-03-2005, 09:55 PM

Just like most of what life has to offer - ugly is in the eyes of the beholder.
This is not ugly!

Old 12-03-2005, 10:02 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
I agree with Grumpy666. The front lip is super hot!
Old 12-03-2005, 10:10 PM

E63, GT500
Originally Posted by Grumpy666
This is not ugly!

I'm with ya Grump...I think one of the best things it has going for it is it's looks
Old 12-03-2005, 10:11 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2005 E55
I had an encounter with a CTS-V. I think it was an LS1, but I don't know for sure. We were on an Interstate highway out in the country. I pulled up beside him and checked out the vehicle. I gave it a little gas to see if he wanted to play. He acted like he did not want to participate, so I went on ahead. In a few minutes I saw him pulling up behind me at what looked like wide-open-throttle. He was moving quite fast and accelerating rapidly. I floored the gas pedal and took off. Even though he was just a few car lengths behind me when I stomped the gas, he never caught up to me. All I saw was his car getting smaller in my rear view mirror. I slowed down in a bit and he pulled up with me just before his exit. He never even looked at me.

I am sure the LS2 would be faster, but I feel like it would still not beat our cars.
Old 12-03-2005, 10:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E300

Wolf
Don't waste you time yelling at hime, shoulda called the police
Old 12-04-2005, 01:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
'03 G500, '13 G63, '17 GLS63,
Originally Posted by Grumpy666
This is not ugly!

I don't know about ugly, but it is definitely BLAND.
Old 12-04-2005, 01:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 C320wz
Originally Posted by medici78
it looks much better than the CTS-V to me
Old 12-04-2005, 01:42 AM

I drive a E55T, SLK55 and 65 Mustang Conv.
Originally Posted by AMG_55

by the way, Mr. Wolf, does ur plate say jimsamg? or something like that
i saw a blue slk on the 405 s. yesterday at about 1 maybe 1:15
was that u?
Thats my plate about 1:15 pm I was at the 405 south at Mulholland Wolf cross posting as LWolf
Old 12-04-2005, 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by medici78
Bland? Are you looking at the same pic as the rest of us? This car is dripping with personality and aggressiveness.

If you compare this car side-by-side with an E55, the Caddy is not the one I would call bland.

My only complaint is I think they should have been a little more aggressive with the tail pipe extensions.

Old 12-04-2005, 07:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'72 Suburban
The front 3/4 view is decent, but I don't like the profile or rear view at all. In profile, the hood scoop and grill appear to be afterthoughts. From the rear, the spoiler is too much and the exhaust/rear valance too little.

The interior is very ugly.
Old 12-04-2005, 08:07 PM

Fiscal Neo Con Express
hi guys,

i just test drove an STS V8 with awd last week. i was
very impressed with it. i'm glad that GM is finally putting
out a vehicle that i really would like to own. plus it
would be nice to support the home team with a purchase!
Old 12-04-2005, 08:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'03 Yukon XL Denali, '06 Eclipse GS
Ugh, in the end it's still a GM.
Old 12-04-2005, 11:29 PM

2001 S500 Sport "Klaus"

Wolf
yo,
where did this happen? i'm not as wary of this crap as i oughtta be while driving around sometimes, but a similar thing did happen to my wife a couple of years ago while she was driving her (then) bmw 325 on beverly just west of doheny in weho/bh. she hit the guy and it was a pretty crappy experience, all told (as any accident usually is, however minor).

i'm glad you were able to avoid the accident. and thanks for the bits about your driving experiences with the new caddy. if you're familiar, how would you say it compares to the jaguar s type R? i always felt like that was cadillac's true target, although given the jag's sales, they were clearly aiming pretty darn low...

v

Last edited by vixapphire; 12-04-2005 at 11:34 PM.
Old 12-04-2005, 11:40 PM

a toy
What issue was the STS-V compared to the CLS55? I've been looking for a full road test of the CLS55 and have only found brief drive comments.

For those who like the STS-V, I'd hate to burst your bubble but that Caddy doesn't even come close to Mercedes engineering and precision. We've had nothing but American cars so far, but they have gotten so commercialized while the Germans have further advanced, that it's no competition anymore. The last new GM car we bought was in 1996, and we will NOT buy anything else the General has to offer. We have more American cars sitting around than most of you have ever owned, so trust me on this point. They haven't made a decent car worth buying since 1996.

Hence, our new Mercedes.
Old 12-04-2005, 11:48 PM

2001 S500 Sport "Klaus"
Originally Posted by Roupin
...trust me on this point. They haven't made a decent car worth buying since 1996.
at first glance i thought you said "1966", with which i'd have to agree! my first car was a clean original 1965 pontiac grand prix, which although huge was one of the nicest, best-put-together autos i've ever owned. what a delight to own and drive it was!

actually, a '91 fleetwood (front-wheel drive) i had for a few years in chicago was a great driver and ownership experience (patrick cadillac in schaumburg was great the entire time), until aroun 105k miles, at which point it started wheezing...

hey, at least cadillacs are not volvo's!!! (don't get me started)

v
Old 12-05-2005, 12:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

g
Originally Posted by Roupin
What issue was the STS-V compared to the CLS55? I've been looking for a full road test of the CLS55 and have only found brief drive comments.

For those who like the STS-V, I'd hate to burst your bubble but that Caddy doesn't even come close to Mercedes engineering and precision. We've had nothing but American cars so far, but they have gotten so commercialized while the Germans have further advanced, that it's no competition anymore. The last new GM car we bought was in 1996, and we will NOT buy anything else the General has to offer. We have more American cars sitting around than most of you have ever owned, so trust me on this point. They haven't made a decent car worth buying since 1996.

Hence, our new Mercedes.
Actually, the AMG55 guy was wrong. It was the Jan Issue of Motor Trend *I believe* They tested the M5, STS-V and CLS55... oddly enough that is also the order they came in
Old 12-05-2005, 06:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

mymbonline
Originally Posted by NOTKTS
Actually, the AMG55 guy was wrong. It was the Jan Issue of Motor Trend *I believe* They tested the M5, STS-V and CLS55... oddly enough that is also the order they came in
how am i wrong?
the newest issue of motor w/ the car of the year contest (new civic won) has the sts-v v. cls55 article in it.
if ur r not sure then dont open ur mouth, again u do this?
__________________________________________________ _______________
edit:
by the way, in my opinion the sts-v is the best looking caddy out. i looks better than some other cars also (on the outside)

Last edited by AMG_55; 12-05-2005 at 06:53 AM.
Old 12-05-2005, 12:15 PM

a toy
Vixapphire, I said 1996 because I have a 1996 Roadmaster( ), and we have a 1995 Fleetwood and a 1993 Fleetwood. They are great cars and we really enjoy them too.

The Chevrolet Impala SS was also a great car, that GM decided to axe back in 1996, just to open up the plant for more truck production. Guess who's in hot water now... Morons

It's a great idea for Cadillac, I just don't trust anything they make.
Old 12-05-2005, 12:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'05 E320 CDI, '08 BMW X5 4.8i, '11 Duramax 2500HD
If they can just start building the American cars better (fit and finish)...

less plastic (cheap) inside..

better leather stitching, and fit on the seats..

better interior electronics (they use cheap Chevy quality off the shelf DELCO crap)

etc..

I would actually consider one..

the fact that they went to RWD was a BIG move in the right direction, but they are by no means a threat to MB (yet).. but that's up to MB.. if they keep the cost cutting up, they may get passed up by Chevy soon!
Old 12-05-2005, 05:41 PM

2001 S500 Sport "Klaus"
i don't fully understand the "less plastic" comments. man, sitting behind the wheel of my e55 amg, all i see is plastic, with the exception of the thin band of wood 'n chrome, and the steering wheel. sure, a cl55 has a leather stitched dashboard etc., but the apples to apples comparo between the e class and sts looks to me like there's not much difference in the quantity of plastic in either car.

the dash on my merc is pretty completely made up of some rubberized plastique ****e, as are the door panels and the center console (notwithstanding the latter's authentic-looking "stitching"). the parts of the dash which are not made of the rubberized plastique, namely, the vents, speaker grille, etc., are actually made of non-rubberized hard plastic.

so, where's the rub? the STS dashboard/radio/hvac plastics and knobs have the look and feel of the lexus line, pretty much (at least my DTS had said look and feel, convincingly so). while the merc does have (to my taste) nicer interior design, i don't think that there's much of a case to be made comparing the quantity of plastic used by either carmaker in these mid-level luxorides.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Caddy STS-V direct compitition to E55....