What is this? A new line?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-15-2005, 12:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1989 Toyota Tercel EZ - dyno'd @ 70whp/77wtq
What is this? A new line?

As ignorant as I am.... I got this email saying MB has a new line called GL I guess it should be between G-class and ML.

http://www.mbusa.com/models/future/glclass/index.do

You guys knows anything about this? No section in this forum for this line yet.

I've been looking for a bigger car to replace my Cayenne.... ideally, one that has 3rd row and fit at least 6 adults comfortably. Been considering R-class for the past 1 month. Seems this GL is a better answer..... as long as the price is right.
Old 12-15-2005, 12:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
Most of the GL discussion is in the G section....lots of pics, info etc.

So far, we think it will be showing up late spring....running 65-75 range.
Old 12-15-2005, 12:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1989 Toyota Tercel EZ - dyno'd @ 70whp/77wtq
Thanks Jak.... How come I didn't think that way?

Looks like an over-grown ML, IMO. I think I'll still consider R-Class more than this GL. Better start to look like a family man w/ a minivan... LOL.
Old 12-15-2005, 01:16 PM
ON PROBATION

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GL might be a keeper. It is a seven-seater (2, 3, 2) vs. the R's six (2, 2, 2). It will apparently be a far more serious off-roader than the R; and is supposed to be available with a couple of kick-*** diesel powerplants (a 6 and a turbo-8). The ML, the R, and the GL are all built on the same chassis (front and rear extensions for size difference) at the newly-expanded plant in Alabama.
Despite what I consider to be their somewhat ugly external appearance, all three lines appear to have excellent mechanicals and design/use features.
AMG versions in the US of the ML(63) as early as late Spring/early Summer, with the AMG versions of the R(63) (and GL too?) maybe as early as this Fall?
The question that I haven't had answered yet is are they going to do the AMG work here in the States, or are they going to have to ship the cars to Germany and back for the AMG work? I think that the AMG work has always been done in Germany and that AMG has fought before in the past to keep it that way....
I have an R500 on order for an extended test drive...and I'll probably try a GL as well before I decide on which AMG version of either to purchase for the long run.

Last edited by ClayJ; 12-15-2005 at 01:19 PM.