1st set of mods

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-05-2006, 06:42 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
05E55
1st set of mods

Thoughts/Comments?

Am I missing anything for my 1st Step (besides pullies & ecu)?

Motor:

Snorkel: p/n# A 1130942182

K&N filters: (p/n# 33-2859) (Any idea who would carry these in So.CA?)

Suspension:

Lowering by Star Diagnostics

Cosmetics:

AMG Hood Emblem (sent several emails & PM's to Mario w/ no response is there another vendor?)

Euro Bumperstrips

Renntech lip spolier (trunk)

Thanks in advance for any other recommendations you may have.
Old 01-05-2006, 07:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by L8Apex
Thoughts/Comments?

Am I missing anything for my 1st Step (besides pullies & ecu)?

Motor:

Snorkel: p/n# A 1130942182

K&N filters: (p/n# 33-2859) (Any idea who would carry these in So.CA?)

Suspension:

Lowering by Star Diagnostics

Cosmetics:

AMG Hood Emblem (sent several emails & PM's to Mario w/ no response is there another vendor?)

Euro Bumperstrips

Renntech lip spolier (trunk)

Thanks in advance for any other recommendations you may have.
Snorkel: p/n# A 1130942182 - questionable value. Probably can't hurt, but many say there's no noticeable difference.

K&N filters: (p/n# 33-2859) Performance Products carries them and I currently run a set in my car. However, as a long-time K&N user, it's apparent that their QC has declined - lots of loose wire mesh particles need to be carefully removed before filter installation. Others have reported MAF contamination caused by K&N's tradeoff of airflow vs. filtering ability. I'll go either with Green Filters or go back to stock. Anyone making the change from K&N's, make sure you vacuum out the filter housings to catch any debris.

Other engine mods? Pullies & ECU is a very mild first step - lots of choices out there, but I'd consider the above, plus headers, LSD, and a upgraded intercooler pump solution.

Comments regarding the other items can easily be found by doing a search on the specific topic. Steve at MBenzNL is a great source for lowering via StarDiagnostics, euro bumperstrips, etc.

As to trunklid spoilers, I've tried both and I'm much happier with the Brabus rear deck spoiler than the RennTech. The Brabus is more substantial, has a better finish from the factory, and looks better, IMO.

Best of luck and have fun making your decisions!
Old 01-05-2006, 10:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'06 CLS55 AMG
On the K&N's, you will have to order them online, its very difficult to locate anyone who stocks them.

As was mentioned above and when mine arrived, I was shocked to see loose wire particles from the manufacturing process stuck in the filters on both the front and the back of each. Just get out your needle nosed pliers and pick them out. There were 8-10 particles of wire mesh that I had to remove myself. Its not difficult but its something that shouldnt have to be done in the first place. Its pretty surprising that K&N lets them go to market like that. Can you say Quality Control?
Old 01-05-2006, 10:46 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
05E55
Thanks for the info guys. I'm new to the mods for Mercs.

The more I hear of the K&N QC issues, the less I want to install them in my car.

I used ITG filters in my cup car, M3 and Porsche never had an issue. Unfortunetly, ITG does not make filters fo the W211 (or do they?) FYI: (ITG uses a reticulated polyester foam used on the MAXOGEN air filters..same as F1 and WRC). They are fantastic. Highly recommended.

Can anyone help me get a hold of an good AMG hood emblem?

Last edited by L8Apex; 01-05-2006 at 11:12 PM.
Old 01-05-2006, 11:20 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
I Love the Mercedes REAR SPOILER!! Awesome fit and finish. Blows doors on the one from formymercedes