Sponsored by:

Sold the BEAST - Bought the BEAST

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-10-2006, 10:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
is not yet completed
ihave a qwik question.. wats the difference on the 030 package.. all ive notice are the amg 2pc wheel.. is that it?
Old 01-10-2006, 10:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'10 Panamera S, '06 AMG CLS55, '07 Miata MX5, '02 MB SPRINTER, '99 Spec Miata Race Car (2X)
Hi Guys

Many thanks for all the props on the car and the photography. Make no mistake, having really sexy subject matter in front of you inspires the artist in all of us - you should see my glamour photography on my photography site!!!!!

Regarding the various questions asked – here are my first impressions

Let me start off by saying that the last impression of my E55 was getting the 12.169 at Moroso, so I was on a real high that day, and to give the car back to the dealer only 10 hours later, and with only 9000 miles on the clock was really sad. I loved that car like no other car I have had – no car has put a smile on my face more than my E55 – felt like a kid every time I drove it.

So moving to the CLS was bitter sweet. I had had the car on order with the 030 package for a long time. I have always like the lines of the CLS since I first saw the pics of it 2 years ago. And then I drove them at the AMG challenges (Homestead and Road America). At the challenge I couldn’t tell you that the CLS was any better than the E55 they both were awesome on the track and I lapped similar times in each one. What I did notice at the challenge is that the CLS is much smaller inside, and had faster steering than my 04 E55, but no different to the 05 E55’s they were running there.

In the 4 days since I have had my car I can definitely reiterate – the interior is MUCH smaller than the E55 – I had 3 large clients in the car today, and they were cramped compared to the E55 – this is a fact. But I only transport clients maybe one a month and its normally only short jaunts too and from the airport 5 miles each way, so I figure they can tough it out.

Getting in and out of the car is not as easy as the E55 because of the lower roof line, but its no big deal. The waistline is much higher, and this, along with a massive A pillar, a wide B pillar and a huge C pillar and the low roof line makes for WAY REDUCED VISIBILITY ALL ROUND. I am driving way more cautiously because (well it’s a new car) but also I just don’t have the same wrap around visibility that I am used to in the E55. And the side rear view mirrors are tiny compared to the E, further reducing your sense of whats around you.

The E55 was also way more stealthy. The CLS attracts attention (newer and less plentiful). Stealthy is good, especially for some high speed runs. And ro innocent road kills late at night. Only the knowledgeable know and respect the E55 badge, the unknowing are often taught respect in very humbling way.

What the CLS offers that my E55 didn’t is more sex appeal – like I said its newer, its less abundant and its much sexier (imo). It draws lots of stares, from airport porters, to young kids to UPS drivers, and most importantly I have already had a couple of come-hither looks from the fairer sex, and believe me I am no Brad Pitt (as those who know me will concur). It really does have sexy lines and from some views (rear ¾) it almost has Aston Martin look to it. And that’s part of my attraction to the car. Spending 110k (incl tax on a car and having no sex appeal is, well, not sexy!!!!!

Taking a look at various items that I can comment on

Upgraded brakes – 030 package comes with the compound brakes (two piece brakes – separate hub and rotor). They are also cross drilled and slotted. Still too early to tell if they work any better.

19” wheels – wasn’t really sure I liked the look of the SL65 wheels, but they are growing on me. The ride with 19” wheels is definitely firmer (and a little harsher) but it gives more feedback in the steering. Kind of miss the suppleness over the freeway joints of the E55 cushy ride. Standard tires are the Michelin PS2’s 255x35x19’s up front and 285x30x19’s in the rear. Also note that the CLS55 with 030 performance package does not come with a spare wheel – bummer. Only Tirefit sealant and compressor.

Alcantra Steering wheel – now this I like – would never have paid the money to buy it for the E55 but now that I have it on the CLS I really enjoy it – larger grip, softer feel. Definitely and enhancement.

Speed delimiter – well now I can chase up to 185 mph YEEHAH – and I know I will do it soon – I had my E55 on the limiter in the first 500 miles, and many times since – it always felt glued to the road. When this baby is run in more, I will take it up to its limiter for sure.

LSD – well I have the window sticker that says I have to change the diff oil at 1800 miles, so according to the forum gurus, that means the LSD is definitely there – haven’t lifted the car up to check, and its certainly not on any sales literature, not on the options list, not on the window sticker. BUT in the maintenance booklet there is a line that says that the Rear Axle differential fluid must be replaced between 1000-3000 miles (CLS55 with AMG Performance Package only) – so now I am resting easier. As to how effective it is – no idea yet. The SL65 forum has some instances of LSD diff issues when guys have run teh engines hard right away, so they encourage an easy breakin period.

TPMS – another gimmick in my opinion – nice to have but I wouldn’t pay for it. Who knows – I might change my mind about this too.

HK sound system – this system sounds better than the same system in my E – Way better. No idea why.

Navigation – its not as bad as I had heard – just need to quiet the ***** down – damn where do I find that option?!

Active seats – well they seem like a gimmick, but haven’t had them on a track yet so I will defer till then, right now they are annoying so they are switched off.

thats about all I can add for now