E55 running lame?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-01-2006, 01:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SL65
E55 running lame?

I've noticed something strange in the past few days with my E55. Usually on my to and from work I average about 14 mpg, with an overall lifetime average at 13.6mpg But over the last couple of days it has been at 17 to and from work. The route I drive or my driving habits have not changed in the last few days. The only thing really different has been a few long highway trips over the weekend at cruising speeds about 60-65 and I was using cruise control.
I was concerned with a loss of power, all this extra gas mileage has to come at some cost. So for lunch today I went out looking for a kill or two. I happened upon a red mustang gt(new body) and that was the best I could find willing to race. I was able to beat him, but only barely. No idea if his car was stock or not, he made an abrupt U turn after the 2nd go or I would have asked. We were however neck and neck for a while before I slowly pulled ahead and he even gained on me at first when we started at about 40mph. I know last weekend my car was running great, when I would floor it at a stop I could feel the blood rush out of my head and vision start to blur. But now it feels kinda blah. Was going to run it over to the shop but thought I would see what the real experts thought first.
Old 02-01-2006, 03:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'04 E55
Take it to the dealer and have them check the intercooler pump
Old 02-01-2006, 08:37 PM
Vadim-SoCal

Take it to the dealer and have them check the intercooler pump
Presicely! Do a search under "intercooler pump"

Your mileage is better because kompressor gets turned off by high air charge temperature due to intercooler pump failure.
Old 02-02-2006, 03:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL65
Well I took it to the dealership, Ewing Autohaus, and they said there's nothing wrong with it, no codes etc. I asked if they drove it, they said yes for 5 miles on the 40mph street outside the dealership. They said it felt fine, but they don't drive my car all the time, I do and I know theres something off with it. I asked why I would suddenly get an extra 4 mpg that wasn't there before and all I got was as you put miles on it it'll get better mileage. Fair enough, but 4 extra overnight?

I asked them if they'd put it on a dynojet and they said no. What else could they look at on this thing?
Old 02-02-2006, 04:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 E55 Black
Intercooler Pump switch?

This discussion begs the question; can one intentionally disable the supercharger? I would love to have a switch that would disable the SC to improve the gas mileage when I didn't want the extra power. I've only had my 2006 E55 for a few days, but I already know one thing I'm going to miss about my 2002 E55 is the mileage. I would consistently get about 22 MPG on the highway in 2002, around 16 around town if I behaved myself.

Has anyone installed a SC disable switch you could turn on and off while driving? Is it possible?
Old 02-02-2006, 09:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL65
Is it possible that my onboard computer is defective? The car is still running very poorly and when I dropped it off at the dealership the computer was reading 18mpg. I'm sorry, but theres no way an E55 can get that kind of mileage in city driving, my CLS500 or E500 could only get 15.5 on the same route. If the onboard computer were off could that affect the engine performance in some way?
Old 02-02-2006, 11:04 PM

2006 CLS55-030, 2002 BMW 540 Wagon, 1995 VW Jetta GLX
Thumbs up Another Dealership!!!

bfnnrgn - Try another dealer, one that is more into the AMG models and has some good Techs. - Bob
Old 02-02-2006, 11:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

STS,FGT,12C,P85D,M4
is there a way to measure boost pressue? if so, that would tell you right away if something is wrong...