Dealer says my MBenzNL lowered car was un-alignable

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-03-2006, 12:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
'03 G500, '13 G63, '17 GLS63,
Dealer says my MBenzNL lowered car was un-alignable

Well, I took my car in for an alignment at the local M-B dealer along. I gave them instructions not to touch the ride height. They called back a couple hours later and said they could not align it. It was too low and "way out of spec" according to them. WTF??? It's only 3/4" lower than stock, but they said they couldnt do anything with it. Anyone else have a similar experience? What other options do I have?
Old 02-03-2006, 12:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Tesla Model S
well on an airmatic suspension with non adjustable control arms, you're obviously going to be out of spec, especially in the rear, as "spec" doesn't take into account lowered suspensions and the resulting negative camber.

It's nothing to worry about. I personally wouldn't have a dealer align my car as they really don't know what they're doing outside of "spec." Find a good performance alignment shop so they can get your toe and thrust angle settings right. The negative camber is just something you'll have to live with - one of the prices of having a lowered car.
Old 02-03-2006, 12:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E500 Sport
I was told by my dealer (northern california) that they do not align any lowered cars.

Where do you live? If you live in northern California, I took my car to Freeman Frame and Alignment in San Jose. My specs after lowering my car (about 2") were:

camber: -2 front/-3 rear
toe: I forget, but way out of MB's recommended range.

New numbers:

camber: -0.5 front/-1.5 rear (MB recommended range is -0.5 to -1.5 on E500)
toe: 0

They can set your camber/toe to whatever specs you want. Initially, I had them set my camber to 0, for max tire durability, but did not like how it handled...brought my car back, and had them set some negative camber.

If you're not able to adjust your camber, have the alignment shop reset your toe, as this is the bigger contributor towards tire wear.

Good Luck

Last edited by tbone; 02-03-2006 at 12:37 AM.
Old 02-03-2006, 12:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
4 wheels
Even with the lowered E55 and CLS55 via Star Diagnostics, I was able to maintain the -1degree camber in the rear. My car is within MB specs.

The rear camber is adjustable, just need camber bolts if I remember correctly. A bit tired right now as I just got back from up north.
Old 02-03-2006, 12:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Unfortunately we only have one M-B dealer in a 250 mile radius. Can any decent shop align my ride? I was always afraid to take it anywhere but the dealer, but in this case, I have no other choice. I just want to avoid (excessively) accelerated wear on my Michelin PS2's.
Old 02-03-2006, 01:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E500 Sport
Originally Posted by MB Fanatic
Even with the lowered E55 and CLS55 via Star Diagnostics, I was able to maintain the -1degree camber in the rear. My car is within MB specs.

The rear camber is adjustable, just need camber bolts if I remember correctly. A bit tired right now as I just got back from up north.
How much did you lower your car? -1 degree camber after lowering is great!

My understanding is that rear camber is non-adjustable on mercedes. I could not find any aftermarket camber bolts for my car.
Old 02-03-2006, 01:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E500 Sport
Originally Posted by medici78
Unfortunately we only have one M-B dealer in a 250 mile radius. Can any decent shop align my ride? I was always afraid to take it anywhere but the dealer, but in this case, I have no other choice. I just want to avoid (excessively) accelerated wear on my Michelin PS2's.
Yes, try to find a specialty shop, which only does alignment and frame work. You'll find that MB dealers are actually less experienced when aligning a lowered car.

Your toe is much easier to set than camber. I was told by my alignment shop that he has seen Mercedes with -2 degrees of rear camber, but with 0 toe wear out their tires evenly.
Old 02-03-2006, 01:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Mercedes Benz
there are camber bolts for the lower control arm bushings. They are good old ecentric bushings and they can reduce the camber back to stock on a lowered car. I had my car aligned today to get the most negative camber possible (an effort to improve cornering grip and reduce tire side wall wear). If I can and create excessive camber well beyond spec on a standard ride height car you can easily go the other direction and reduce camber with that same camber bolt.

Most people dont even know these bolts exist. They also go by the term "crash bolt" since they were designed to make cars that were slightly bent in crash align back to OEM spec.

Good luck and tip the dealership in on the camber corrrection bolts.

The above poster is mistaken in saying that the camber or lower control arm is not adjustable. Have fun!

Last edited by CynCarvin32; 02-03-2006 at 01:19 AM.
Old 02-03-2006, 01:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E500 Sport
Originally Posted by CynCarvin32
there are camber bolts for the lower control arm bushings. They are good old ecentric bushings and they can reduce the camber back to stock on a lowered car. I had my car aligned today to get the most negative camber possible (an effort to improve cornering grip and reduce tire side wall wear). If I can and create excessive camber well beyond spec on a standard ride height car you can easily go the other direction and reduce camber with that same camber bolt.

Most people dont even know these bolts exist. They also go by the term "crash bolt" since they were designed to make cars that were slightly bent in crash align back to OEM spec.

Good luck and tip the dealership in on the camber corrrection bolts.
That's great, is there an application for the W211? Do you have the part number? How much work is involved to install?

Can you post pictures of the bolt and its location?
Old 02-03-2006, 03:25 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

some slow@$$diesels
Originally Posted by Josh K
Find a good performance alignment shop so they can get your toe and thrust angle settings right.
...which is what we always advise before lowering as well...alignments by the dealer results ALWAYS in raising the car.

My own C250D is way out of alignment specs as well (too low) and has been like that for 500.000km - nothing to worry about other then that tires wear "slightly" uneven (the price of lowering).

greetingz,
Old 02-03-2006, 04:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
300ce
Well, I took my car in for an alignment at the local M-B dealer along. I gave them instructions not to touch the ride height. They called back a couple hours later and said they could not align it. It was too low and "way out of spec" according to them. WTF??? It's only 3/4" lower than stock, but they said they couldnt do anything with it. Anyone else have a similar experience? What other options do I have?

............when a car is lowered, you can have a problem with doing an alignment for the following reason. The less expensive alignment shops use a device that uses infra red beams across the axel and these beams require line of sight. With a lowered car, the line of sight can be obstructed. The option is you have if you still need an alignment is to to to a performance shop that has radiofrequency alignment.

Ted
Old 02-03-2006, 08:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 e55
Originally Posted by MBenzNL
...which is what we always advise before lowering as well...alignments by the dealer results ALWAYS in raising the car.

My own C250D is way out of alignment specs as well (too low) and has been like that for 500.000km - nothing to worry about other then that tires wear "slightly" uneven (the price of lowering).

greetingz,
i have the kleemann lowering module and had my dealership align the car using the crash bolts to get it close to specs,although the crash bolts were $200; IT WORKED OUT FINE WITHOUT THE CAR BEING RAISED AT ALL.
Old 02-03-2006, 10:05 AM
dsc

2004 E55
Originally Posted by rbc55
i have the kleemann lowering module and had my dealership align the car using the crash bolts to get it close to specs,although the crash bolts were $200; IT WORKED OUT FINE WITHOUT THE CAR BEING RAISED AT ALL.
Where can you get the crash bolts?
Old 02-03-2006, 10:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

4 wheels
Any good alignment shop will have them in stock. Another place is your dealer as they might have them as well. I know they put some on my W210 E320 a few years back and I am not quite sure where they got the bolts for the E55 and CLS55 though I suspect that the tech who did my work had them in stock or something.
Old 02-03-2006, 11:33 AM

Received 132 Likes on 77 Posts
S 63 Coupe, GLS 63
The bolts are about $12 each.

The rear camber IS NOT adjustable on a 211, without an aftermarket solution, if one is even available.
Old 02-03-2006, 12:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
209/W210 Estate /W211 modded by MBENZNL
Originally Posted by TECHNICIAN
The bolts are about $12 each.

The rear camber IS NOT adjustable on a 211, without an aftermarket solution, if one is even available.

There are several types of rear camber bars for the W211..So One can adjust rear camber...Hop/Speedy Benz/Renntech all Make them!

I Would say the tech saw that the car was lowered..and Did NOT even rack the car to see the (BEFORE) specs...
Old 02-03-2006, 12:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
E320CDI, CLK55, and a Smart
Same thing happened to me at South Bay BMW. The said it was too low. I think its all BS. I have a w208 which in NOT airmatic.
Old 02-03-2006, 12:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E500 Sport
Originally Posted by MARK CUMMINS
There are several types of rear camber bars for the W211..So One can adjust rear camber...Hop/Speedy Benz/Renntech all Make them!

I Would say the tech saw that the car was lowered..and Did NOT even rack the car to see the (BEFORE) specs...
I emailed Speedy Benz a while back, asking for an application for the W211. He said he did not have one at the time
Old 02-03-2006, 12:52 PM

2005 e55
Originally Posted by dsc
Where can you get the crash bolts?
the dealer ,or should i say stealer had them.the price was outrageous when they told me,i even called cory at kleemann and he said the price was about right so i went ahead,they probaly are $12 pieces.they were $75 a piece for front and $60 extra labor.
Old 02-03-2006, 01:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Ted Baldwin
............when a car is lowered, you can have a problem with doing an alignment for the following reason. The less expensive alignment shops use a device that uses infra red beams across the axel and these beams require line of sight. With a lowered car, the line of sight can be obstructed. The option is you have if you still need an alignment is to to to a performance shop that has radiofrequency alignment.

Ted
This makes sense. They said their equipment wouldn't work because of some laser beams(?).
Old 02-03-2006, 03:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
300ce
This makes sense. They said their equipment wouldn't work because of some laser beams(?).

........In Atlanta, this problem can be easily solved by going to Butler tire. They do alignments in lowered and modified cars including my extremely lowered CLK. Butlertire.com have a radiofrequency alignment machine that solves this problem. That is where I had my lowered CLK aligned. To find a similar shop in Texas you may wish to contact them at 404-303-1114 for a recommendation. Here is a link to their website. LINK

Ted

Last edited by Ted Baldwin; 02-03-2006 at 04:04 PM.
Old 02-03-2006, 05:40 PM

2004 E55
Bulter is great, had my SR351 Saleen aligned there and a trick Honda SI...
Old 02-05-2006, 05:20 PM

Received 132 Likes on 77 Posts
S 63 Coupe, GLS 63
Originally Posted by rbc55
the dealer ,or should i say stealer had them.the price was outrageous when they told me,i even called cory at kleemann and he said the price was about right so i went ahead,they probaly are $12 pieces.they were $75 a piece for front and $60 extra labor.
Did you get a tube of KY with them for $75 each? Labor sounds about right, but these should have definately been under $20 each.
Old 02-05-2006, 05:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Sean's Sister--
Originally Posted by Josh K
well on an airmatic suspension with non adjustable control arms, you're obviously going to be out of spec, especially in the rear, as "spec" doesn't take into account lowered suspensions and the resulting negative camber.

It's nothing to worry about. I personally wouldn't have a dealer align my car as they really don't know what they're doing outside of "spec." Find a good performance alignment shop so they can get your toe and thrust angle settings right. The negative camber is just something you'll have to live with - one of the prices of having a lowered car.
do what josh said and find a good performance shop to do it......dealers either don't know what there doing or just don't wanna touch it.....
Old 02-15-2006, 02:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Well, I took it to a shop a buddy of mine recommended. Strangely, the rear was still in-spec, but the front still has too much negative camber. The toe was adjusted, so that will help mitigate the tire wear. Does anyone know a good source for the front bolts to bring it closer?