Sponsored by:

Windshield protection products

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-04-2006, 10:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 E55
Windshield protection products

Got tired of getting the chips on my beast's windshield and thinking about replacing it. Originally was thinking about getting the likes 3M clearbra or VentureShield and just applying that. But been doing some more research on windshield protection and found a few products: Diamon-Fusion and GlasGard. Here are some relevant webpages and would like to hear some insight from forum members about these.

http://www.clearbraoregon.com/page/page/2722860.htm
http://www.diamonfusion.com/en/produ...20results.html

http://www.thegsmstore.net/bg-glasgard1.htm

They also have the benefit of causing water to roll right off because of their hydrophobic-ness and allowing better visibility when it rains.

Based on what they are saying, it is easier to chip the windshield when it is wet. But by getting this treated it will take 10 times the mass of a rock to make a chip than if it was untreated. Other times it will just bounce right off (GlasGard claims a BB shot at it from inches away just bounces right off!)

I have called an Oregon shop about the first product, Diamon-Fusion, and they said it would require bringing the car to the shop and a certified technician applies it. I just need to find a shop up here in SF Bay area to do it. The second product, GlasGard looks like it's a DIY.

I heard about another product, AquaPel, but it looks like it's just used for water beading properties and couldn't find any information about it toughening the windshield -- so that is probably not it's selling point.

At this point, I prefer the Diamon-Fusion product, because it looks like it has more thorough scientific/lab testing and a more established company using nanotechnology. I will call their headquarters in San Clemente, California, during the week and see if they have a certified dealer up here.

I would like to get some insights from here.

Thanks in advance!
Old 02-04-2006, 10:17 PM

2008 Z06
I don't know about anyone else's opinion but here's mine. I bought my car used with 4XXX miles on it and it's a 2005. Previous owner had the Diamon-Fusion treatment done to the windshield. Well, I have gotten a crack already on the windshild and contacted them to fix it (but of course, they wouldn't because I'm not the original owner who put it on). Anyway, my windshield also has many knicks in it, so I can really compliment this product.
Old 02-04-2006, 10:26 PM

2005 E55
Thanks for your insight on this.

So they are saying if it was the original owner, then they will fix it under warranty?

Hmm... I'm also wondering if the windshield didn't have the treatment, would it have even more knicks etc.?

thanks
Old 02-05-2006, 01:51 AM

2008 Z06
Yes, if I had been the original person to have the Diamon-Fusion done, they would have fixed it.

I'm not sure how many more it would have...but if it was anymore than I have now, I believe I would replace the windshield.
Old 02-06-2006, 01:48 PM

2005 E55
found more info on this, apparently there was a press release that a contractor has licensed Daimon-Fusion for the U.S. Army's vehicles use especially in desert areas

http://www.desertbreezeglass.com/pre...usmilitary.php

“Sand-pitting and erosion under desert-like weather conditions have a very harsh impact on the visibility of military vehicles and Diamon-Fusion® substantially improves visibility, as tested by the US Army”, a Senior Official source reported.
DFI’s nanocoating supplies a full range of multi-functional characteristics include: water and oil repellency (hydrophobic and oleophobic,), impact and scratch resistance, protection against graffiti, dirt and stains, finger print protection, UV stability, additional electrical insulation, protection against calcium and sodium deposits and increased brilliance and lubricity.
etc. etc.

but it seems it's a YMMV thing, as Matthew's windshield still had knicks and chip.

it appears that resistance is the better word here rather than 100% protection (as it might suggest).

interested to hear any other thoughts regarding the physics/chemistry behinds this as my physics knowledge has fallen by the wayside ever since my electrical engineering college days
Old 02-06-2006, 07:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'03 Yukon XL Denali, '06 Eclipse GS
Well, I only used to put Rain-X on the windshield and it did the job.

Kidding aside, hope you find a solution!