Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-07-2006, 09:55 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2003 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by lbE55
Victor:

I think that it is part no. DEI-010402. It indicates that is 24 inches in length and 7 inches in width. It uses velcro. Does that sound about right?

Also, trying not to reinvent the wheel, did you wrap the tubes with the material (like a bandage), or did you lay the tube in the wrap (length-wise) and attach it that way? Finally, how many wraps did you end up using? It doesn't seem like one wrap is enough for one tube; it seems as though you might need two wraps for each tube (total of four).

Your assistance is appreciated.

Mark.
The one I used is DEI-010417.. I had to take a pair of scissors and trim it because it was way to long.. I bought 2 of them because I wanted a spare, but you could probably do both tubes with just 1 of these cut in half.

Just wrap the material around the cirumference of the tube and veclro together. I cant link directly to the product, so do a quick lookup on that part # and it will show you a pic.
Old 03-07-2006, 11:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 E55 Evosport I & II; VRP H/E
Victor:

Ordered the item. The one that you suggested looks better than the one that I found.

Thanks so much for your help.

Mark.

Last edited by lbE55; 03-07-2006 at 11:29 AM.
Old 03-07-2006, 11:33 AM

'04 E55
I know most of you guys don't need extra $ but I'm wondering if there is someone who has successfully done this before and has the time to do an extra set for me and I will cover all the expenses, shipping, and a generous amount of $ for the time you spend for it. If anyone is willing to do it please send me a PM with the cost involved and the amount of cash you're looking for.

Thanks,
Sam
Old 03-07-2006, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by SamE55
. . . I'm wondering if there is someone who has successfully done this before . . .
You should look at the intake tubes. They simply pull out of the holes that they fit into -- no tools needed; then look at part no. DEI-010417 on Summit Racing's website -- velcro, you only have to trim the material to the proper length. There is nothing to this. And, let me tell you, my mechanical ability is (sometimes I think), limited to being able to put fuel in the car.
Old 03-07-2006, 04:57 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
N/A
Is that the same fit for the C32? If not, i assume the same thing can be done with my intakes, right?
Old 03-07-2006, 08:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2017 S63 Coupe Iridium Silver
Originally Posted by tjbrum
Is that the same fit for the C32? If not, i assume the same thing can be done with my intakes, right?
You can do it on any car with accessible intakes exposed to engine heat.
Here is the link to the original post by Robertus, from whom I got the
inspiration. He went the whole way, including the air boxes on his CLK55.

https://mbworld.org/forums/clk55-amg-clk63-amg-w208-w209/128135-clk55-thermal-cold-air-intakes-completed.html

Last edited by Rafal; 03-07-2006 at 08:14 PM.
Old 03-07-2006, 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by Rafal
Yep, thick black stockings from Woolies Melting point of nylon is over 260C and the black flexible ducting, if it is PVC, will melt at 240C if polyethylene or polypropylene, then it will melt at 160 -230C.
So my stocking will outlast the original ducting!
Rafal:

I ordered some wrapping today. But have a question on the "stocking." That was a great idea by the way. It looks great.

My stocking fetish ended a few years back. What do you mean by "thick black stockings from Woolies"? Does that mean just regular women's stockings or "panty hose"? Or does "Woolies" mean something specific in Australia?

Thanks for your help.

Mark.
Old 03-08-2006, 02:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Rafal:

I ordered some wrapping today. But have a question on the "stocking." That was a great idea by the way. It looks great.

My stocking fetish ended a few years back. What do you mean by "thick black stockings from Woolies"? Does that mean just regular women's stockings or "panty hose"? Or does "Woolies" mean something specific in Australia?

Thanks for your help.

Mark.
Ha, ha, ha.. you can try on some fish nets and a whip...
Woolies is Woolworths, our biggest supermarket chain.
I just bought long footless, densely woven nylon pantyhose, cut off both ends and put them over the aluminum clad ducting. Stretch it 1" over each end so that you can tuck the loose stocking in when connecting to the airbox and front inlets. Nice and neat
Old 03-08-2006, 12:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SL65
Excellent post. I just ordered a pair of wraps off of summit racing. Hopefully these help in the upcoming Texas summer.
Old 03-08-2006, 12:42 PM

MB 2003 E55
Originally Posted by bfnnrgn
Excellent post. I just ordered a pair of wraps off of summit racing. Hopefully these help in the upcoming Texas summer.
2nd that...I just ordered yesterday from Summit after reading this thread.
Old 03-18-2006, 01:21 AM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
i'm sooooo doing this...
Old 03-18-2006, 09:50 PM

Rafal:

Did it today. Very Simple. The pantyhose worked well -- that was a great idea.

And, I got a free hat from Summit Racing.
Old 03-19-2006, 08:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Rafal:

Did it today. Very Simple. The pantyhose worked well -- that was a great idea.

And, I got a free hat from Summit Racing.
Good on'ya! I am switching to pantyhose sales...
Old 03-19-2006, 08:56 AM
Administrator

Received 515 Likes on 111 Posts
Drives Slowly
Great thread, I just ordered mine from Summit Racing.
Old 03-19-2006, 01:03 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 235 Likes on 170 Posts
saber: have you also insulated the boxes themselves, I could not tell from the pictures but it makes a big difference also.I agree, just doing the flexible forward part of the tubes still leaves a lot of remaining area to protect which can reheat the cooler air instantly.
Old 03-19-2006, 06:25 PM

07 S65
I would think if you don't wrap the air filter box you're not gaining anything. The air spends more time in those boxes and will heat up much quicker in there vs the tubes. I did mine like VRUS, intake tubes and air boxes. I'm also considering wrapping the two black tubes comeing out of the back of the filter boxes as well? VRUS, what did you do there? I'm hitting the track next week so I should be able to tell you if this works. I can't hot lap my car with out losing a few tenths. We'll see, hopefully it helps. Nice work with the stockings Rafal.
Old 03-20-2006, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by DJe55
I would think if you don't wrap the air filter box you're not gaining anything. The air spends more time in those boxes and will heat up much quicker in there vs the tubes. I did mine like VRUS, intake tubes and air boxes.
I've been looking at the air filter boxes and can't figure out the best way to "wrap" them. What type of material (and what is the best way) to wrap the air filter boxes?
Old 03-20-2006, 02:27 PM

07 S65
I used a couple of 12"x24" pieces of Thermal Adhesive. You can buy this at Summit Racing also. It's looks like a** but it's better than nothing I guess. VRUS has a post about this and that's where I got the info. Remember that the air sits in the filter and filter boxes longer than in the intake tubes. If those aren't wrapped, you're practically wasting your time with just the tubes.
Old 03-20-2006, 03:10 PM
Banned

2003 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by DJe55
I used a couple of 12"x24" pieces of Thermal Adhesive. You can buy this at Summit Racing also. It's looks like a** but it's better than nothing I guess. VRUS has a post about this and that's where I got the info. Remember that the air sits in the filter and filter boxes longer than in the intake tubes. If those aren't wrapped, you're practically wasting your time with just the tubes.
You are absolutely right.. No point in wrapping just the intake tubes when the air boxes are sitting ontop of the hottest part of the motor. If you dont wrap those the air will quickly get re-heated.

What I did was take apart the intake boxes.. I put 1 layer inside the boxes and I wrapped 1 layer on the outside of the boxes.

Make sure you clean all the plastic by washing first with water to get rid of stuck-on debris.. Then dry them thoroughly and go over the entire surface with RUBBING ALCOHOL (or something similar). The rubbing alcohol will prep the surface and remove any oils or other contaminants that will prevent the glue on the thermotec adhesive from sticking to the plastic.

I am going to redo the outside layer again because over time the excessive heat from the motor has weakened the glue and they are coming apart..

This time around I am going to do something a little different and will probably use a bit of crazy glue to help them stick.. I'll post pics of my idea once I am done.

As for the Y-pipe coming out of the throttle body, I wrapped that in the same stuff and put tie wraps to hold the wrapping in place. I am going to redo it using the non-adhesive thermotec and probably will sew the seams like Rafal did for the intake tubes. It's such an odd shape that the adhesive backed material is hard to conform to the contours and eventually weakens and falls apart.

I also bought some of the 12' length of thermotech 1" tube style heat reflectant material. I cut it into 16 pieces of 9", removed each sparkplug wire and slipped the tube over the wire and down onto the boot. It covers the entire length of the sparkplug wire & boot on both ends to keep them nice and cool.. That's another good heat mod you can do.
Old 03-20-2006, 05:57 PM

'04 E55
Is there a pro in DC area that can help me do this (both the air tubes and air boxes)? Believe it or not I don't even know what air boxes are and I really don't have the confidence to mess with a car like this. Last summer i remember the temp of my car was showing 100F most of the time and even in winter it'd go to 100 when I drove it hard so I definitely have to do this mod before summer hoping it'll help, and as I mentioned in one of my previous posts I'm willing to pay you well for your time Pls PM me if you can help or know someone that can.
Old 03-20-2006, 06:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

12' C63 P31, 06' Supercharged Range, 08' BMW 550i
Originally Posted by SamE55
Is there a pro in DC area that can help me do this (both the air tubes and air boxes)? Believe it or not I don't even know what air boxes are and I really don't have the confidence to mess with a car like this. Last summer i remember the temp of my car was showing 100F most of the time and even in winter it'd go to 100 when I drove it hard so I definitely have to do this mod before summer hoping it'll help, and as I mentioned in one of my previous posts I'm willing to pay you well for your time Pls PM me if you can help or know someone that can.
What should the temp be? Mine ranges from 95-100 at all times.
Old 03-20-2006, 07:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 700 Likes on 533 Posts
R Nine T
I Noticed U Run Eibach Springs Can U Tell Me Your Impressions On Ride Quality As I Have A02 E55 I Would Like To Lower Ride Very Important Ty
Old 03-20-2006, 07:57 PM
Administrator

Received 515 Likes on 111 Posts
Drives Slowly
Originally Posted by vrus
You are absolutely right.. No point in wrapping just the intake tubes when the air boxes are sitting ontop of the hottest part of the motor. If you dont wrap those the air will quickly get re-heated.

What I did was take apart the intake boxes.. I put 1 layer inside the boxes and I wrapped 1 layer on the outside of the boxes.

Make sure you clean all the plastic by washing first with water to get rid of stuck-on debris.. Then dry them thoroughly and go over the entire surface with RUBBING ALCOHOL (or something similar). The rubbing alcohol will prep the surface and remove any oils or other contaminants that will prevent the glue on the thermotec adhesive from sticking to the plastic.

I am going to redo the outside layer again because over time the excessive heat from the motor has weakened the glue and they are coming apart..

This time around I am going to do something a little different and will probably use a bit of crazy glue to help them stick.. I'll post pics of my idea once I am done.

As for the Y-pipe coming out of the throttle body, I wrapped that in the same stuff and put tie wraps to hold the wrapping in place. I am going to redo it using the non-adhesive thermotec and probably will sew the seams like Rafal did for the intake tubes. It's such an odd shape that the adhesive backed material is hard to conform to the contours and eventually weakens and falls apart.

I also bought some of the 12' length of thermotech 1" tube style heat reflectant material. I cut it into 16 pieces of 9", removed each sparkplug wire and slipped the tube over the wire and down onto the boot. It covers the entire length of the sparkplug wire & boot on both ends to keep them nice and cool.. That's another good heat mod you can do.

Vic,

Did you post these modification in a previous thread? If so, could you provide the link. Also, any pictures of these changes would be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-20-2006, 09:43 PM
Banned

2003 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by Rock
Vic,

Did you post these modification in a previous thread? If so, could you provide the link. Also, any pictures of these changes would be greatly appreciated.
I'm sure I posted them somewhere on this board.. I will see if I can find the original post.. I can only find 1 pic right now which is of the finished air box.. This is a shot of the bottom of the airbox with the thermotec already applied. As soon as I find the other pics I'll post them.. EIther that or I'll post a complete set of instructions once I redo them.

Old 03-24-2006, 09:10 PM

07 S65
Guys, this does actually help. I ran my car at the track today for the first time after wrapping everything and I picked up almost 2 tenths! I don't think thats all from the wrapping but most of it is. This does work but you need to wrap the boxes as well as the tubes to see results.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Cold Air Intakes