W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission SLIPPING?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-08-2006, 03:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'10 MB E63, '08 ML550 ('05 E55, '05 SL55, '08 E63 GONE)
Transmission SLIPPING?

2005 E55.

Has anyone experienced a slip from DRIVE to 1st GEAR at slow speeds?

This has happened to me THREE time under the exact same circumstances. I'm driving up the hill to my community and slow to where the guard house is. It's slightly uphill. I wait for the initial gate by the guard to open, then roll forward at less than 5mph while I wait for the second gate to open... I then hit the gas only to find the car is in 1st gear.

It occured to me at firt that perhaps I was hitting the shifter accidentally or pressing one of the buttons, but the last time it happened I was very careful to monitor my actions. Anyone ever have this happen or know what may be causing the problem? it doesn't happen every time and I can see the dealership saying, "we can't recreate the problem...".

~ Ian
Old 03-08-2006, 04:05 PM
Almost a Member!

hmm. Is the car in S mode or C, M? I think by default when the car is in S/M mode as soon as the car slows down enough it will pick up 1st gear, for more aggressive pick-up. Unless what you're describing is happening when the car is in C mode. I also know that if the car senses that it's going uphill at all, it'll either hold the gear, or drop down one until the car is level.
Old 03-08-2006, 04:29 PM

'10 MB E63, '08 ML550 ('05 E55, '05 SL55, '08 E63 GONE)
Originally Posted by saveur
hmm. Is the car in S mode or C, M? I think by default when the car is in S/M mode as soon as the car slows down enough it will pick up 1st gear, for more aggressive pick-up. Unless what you're describing is happening when the car is in C mode. I also know that if the car senses that it's going uphill at all, it'll either hold the gear, or drop down one until the car is level.
Sport Mode. Drops into 1st gear (M) and stays...
Old 03-08-2006, 04:34 PM
Almost a Member!

That is odd. Maybe it's just a glitch with the management s.w. I wonder if it'll show up on diagnostics.
Old 03-09-2006, 04:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hi Ian,

I know exactly what you're talking about...My car does it too in a similar situation. When I enter my office parking garage (steep incline), I stop to swipe my card and as I accelerate, I can feel it slip. I had the regional service tech look at the car, but he said its normal and pointed to the clutch engagement of the supercharger. I told him that its different and that slipping isn't felt until around 2200-2500k rpm when the supercharger kicks in.

The car is back there now, and the Shop Forman said he's going to try and tighten the clutch packs and look at the torque converter...

I'll keep you posted...