W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63

speeding ticket via pacing...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-24-2006 | 06:48 PM

'05 E55
Saveur,

You're correct and that was my point. If you say you passed the car in the fast lane (which was going the speed limit), then you're admitting you're speeding. GUILTY! It doesn't matter that it was for 500 feet, a quarter mile, or only to pass. You'll be admitting it. It will also sound like you are not only speeding but passing on the right to get around someone who's obeying the law (As far as the speed law). You've said that in your state that passing on the right is illegal as well. You just didn't get cited for it. Now the judge may believe you have committed two violations but have only been cited for one, hence having already been given a break. I think a judge would be hard pressed to find in your favor.

As far as entrapment, it's not.

"ENTRAPMENT - A person is 'entrapped' when he is induced or persuaded by law enforcement officers or their agents to commit a crime that he had no previous intent to commit;"
Link

I think your attorney is trying to pay for momma's new shoes!
Old 03-24-2006 | 08:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
Originally Posted by saveur
bleh.
This will be a long post!

I got ticket last night while heading to Vancouver, BC on I5. It was around 11 pm, about 5 miles from the border.

brief description of circumstances:

I'm doing about 75, on the I5 section right before the Blaine Truck crossing. It's pretty much a straight stretch, and barely any traffic. Except one car travelling on the left (passing lane) lane, going 70. I inch up, thinking he would see my lights, and move over to the right. But, no, he doesn't move. So, I flash him once, really quickly, again hoping he would move. Nope. So, I'm a little irritated, and I decide to pass on the right (which, as far as I know, is 'illegal', per se). I accelerate to pass (around 80-ish), and VERY slowly ease off the throttle. Then I immediately see a car fly up behind me, and turn on his police lights. It was an undercover squad car, no markings (and on that stretch of highway, there are no streetlights whatsoever, so I never knew he was following).

So, he gives me a ticket, for speeding, 85 in 70 zone. Then he tells me that it's illegal for me to flash a car from behind using the high-beams. And says it provokes road rage and aggressive driving. I look at him, didn't say anything, sign the ticket, and left. He also mentioned that they received 2 calls about someone flashing their high beams (yeah, that would be me. I flashed 2 cars. But for chrissake, why can't people move over to the right lane if they won't be maintaining the speed limit?! I mean, the right lanes are for slower moving traffic aren't they? And if cars on the RIGHT lane are moving faster than you are in the LEFT lane, wouldn't you feel compelled to move over?!)

Now. I was looking at our state's website for the RCW info, specifically in/around the 46.61.425 topics. And I can't find any rules about WSP pacing cars (ie, must take action within specific distance, harrassment, etc.). Perhaps someone can enllighten me? When I look back at things, I think the unmarked car was following for quite a while.

I looked at the codes regarding minimum speed driving causing traffic, another about left lanes as passing-only lanes, and found little to go on. There was no mention of flashing as being illegal (perhaps not condoned/recommended, but NOT illegal).

I think the officer knew this too, so, when it's all said and done, the ticket was written for speeding, and nothing else. The amount was around $120. I know an attorney would cost $200-300. Any thoughts? And don't start throwing the 'you should'nt be speeding in the first place' argument please. As far as I'm concerned, speed limits are nothing but money makers for the county/state.

thnx!
Sorry to hear about your ticket. You should definitely take it to court. As for flashing, I hope it is not illegal. I am just waiting for the day I can pull up behind a Lamborghini Gallardo or a Ferrari F430 in the left lane and flash him.
Old 03-25-2006 | 09:47 PM

E46 328i Sport
Originally Posted by blume
if you flashed me for the reason of me moving by your request, i would just slow down more!
If somebody is doing the speed limit in the left lane or 5 over, they should be in the right lane instead, not cruising in the damn left lane. I hate it when people do that. The only way I would flash is if I was blocked in (2 cars side by side doing the same speed) and couldn't pass. And slowing down because somebody wants you to move over isn't right (not that flashing the lights is right) No offense though
Old 03-27-2006 | 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by blume
if you flashed me for the reason of me moving by your request, i would just slow down more... im not much on karma, but we should call it that for this situation.
Unfortunatly this is why we can't have an Autobahn in this country. It's the "i'll do whatever I want, and you cant tell me otherwise" attitiude.

I drive as fast as I can, but if someone comes up on me, I move the hell over.
Old 03-27-2006 | 10:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'72 Suburban
Originally Posted by Ramsey
Unfortunatly this is why we can't have an Autobahn in this country. It's the "i'll do whatever I want, and you cant tell me otherwise" attitiude.

I drive as fast as I can, but if someone comes up on me, I move the hell over.

Way too many people think that the anonymity afforded them while driving is an excuse to act like an *******.

If I'm walking down the street and come up behind someone like blume and say excuse me, he would move over and let me walk past. If he slowed down, he'd get a boot to the skull. This is the problem with drivers like him and why people get into road rage incidents.

I'm a sane, safe driver (no points and no accidents), but people that hold up traffic because they're either clueless or just *******s are really annoying. It's getting worse in this me first! society, not better
Old 03-27-2006 | 11:12 AM

E46 328i Sport
Ramsey and Wayne, more people like you guys and me need to be driving on the roads these days.
Old 03-27-2006 | 11:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'72 Suburban
Thanks, Killer

If someone says excuse me, I'm moving faster than you by giving me a flash of their lights, I move over. I generally give a flash as I'm approaching, since I don't tailgate and it gives people more warning to move over so I don't have to slow to their speed.
Old 03-27-2006 | 11:34 AM

Thanks.

I think that it is standard practice in Germany to just move over.

Simple rules. Travel in the right lane, pass in the left. I try to drive in the right lane as much as possible.
Old 03-27-2006 | 07:34 PM

E46 328i Sport
Wayne, I hate it when I have to slow down by a lot and then they finally move over, if they even move over. Thats right Ramsey, simple rules. Its either ignorance or obliviousness <-- if that is a word, and if it is those people should look in their mirrors once in a while! ha.
Old 03-27-2006 | 08:13 PM

a few...
blume, you were paced at 104 and you got off? sorry but
Old 03-27-2006 | 08:28 PM

2005 E55, 1959 220s Cabriolet, some other stuff too...
Postpone the court date as many times as you can (usually twice), then they will force you to appear on the next date that they provide. Hire the Attorney and go the final time and make sure he is certified in pacing, etc. If you cannot find a loophole and the cop does appear in court request Probation before judgement. If you have any tickets on your license now and they are older than 2-3 years old, get your record expunged immediately! (If your state allows)
Old 03-27-2006 | 08:54 PM

a few...
I, too, would get a lawyer and see what they could do. See if that officer is certified in pacing as well.
Old 03-28-2006 | 10:58 AM

04' E55
Saveur. Agreed. Tickets generate revenue for the state, and we are the lucky ones that make the contributions. Also, think about the other laws that have been enacted in the name of public safety, which are merely money makers for the state (i.e. Seatbelt Law, Helmet Law - at least in California).

Although I agree that wearing a seatbelt or a helmet can help to save ones life, why are the fines for a violation so astronomically high? I mean, they're charging citizens $$$ if we fail to protect ourselves. It could be argued that speeding effects more people than just the violator, as others could be harmed by an out of control speeding car. Having said that, I HARDLY think passing someone on a desolate strip of HWY 5 qualifies. Thus, I believe circumstances should mitigate the violation, and play a role in determining the severity of the violation, as well as the fine. If you were doing 85mph during traffic hours on a crowded highway, that should be treated differently than if you are on a desolate highway late at night, but it is not, and that does not make sense.

Thus, my example above tends to illustrate that the speeding laws are not designed to protect citizens, but are rather designed to make $$$, regardless of when and where the violation is committed. Similarily, if I choose not to wear a seatbelt or helmet, what risk does my pose for others? NONE! Yet, I am still fined.

BOTTOM LINE: Most legislation is enacted in the name of public safety, but is truly motivated by $$$$ revenue for the state.

Allen
Old 03-28-2006 | 02:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Tesla Model S
Originally Posted by E55 Rocket
Similarily, if I choose not to wear a seatbelt or helmet, what risk does my pose for others? NONE!
Wrong. Fatality accidents cause more of a traffic jam, take longer to clean up, and require a lengthy, multi-lane closing investigation. All of this makes it take longer for me (and everyone else) to get where I (or they) need to go, hence the fine. The world has other people in it, and the higher the fine, the less likely you are to not wear a helmet/belt, die, and waste everyone's time. ;0)

Oh and yeah they also make $$$ for the state lol.
Old 03-28-2006 | 02:57 PM

saveur, (including E55 Rocket, Wayne, et al) (apologies in advance, but this is going to be one hell of a rant... )

You are EXACTLY CORRECT. Don't let ANYONE tell you differently, EVER. From how BOGUS substantially ALL speed limits are (and that they are primarily laws for reasons OTHER THAN SAFETY) to how annoying and frustrating "Left Lane Lurkers" are, your comments are true to the very essense of driving.

For years I have toyed with the idea of forming a group, hell, maybe even a P.A.C., termed something along the lines of "D.F.C.S." or Drivers For Common Sense ("We take driving seriously because you do...") and publish commentary monthly about HOW PEOPLE SHOULD CONDUCT THEMSELVES ON THE STREETS (or highways) in todays' environment.

The motto of today's drivers NEEDS TO BE THIS: IF YOU ARE HOLDING SOMEONE UP, YOU ARE FU*KING UP.

Why you ask?

Well, with the population continuing to grow at an alarming pace, our freeways/streets continue to get more and more congested. To TRULY ALLEVIATE such a problem (and no, band-aid solutions aren't what I'm talking about), there really are only 2 options to consider, neither of which are appealing.

The first is to increase the number of miles of useable road(s). Well, Congress recently passed a ~$300 million bill to construct various roads all across the nation, but god knows that 1) that actually working anything near as planned and 2) that someone won't screw it up along the way is HIGHLY UNLIKELY (more like a 99% chance of failure). Further, I may be a great-grandparent by the time any results are actually realized (and I'm in my 30s now...).

The other would be to improve driver mentality, which is so improbable, it borders on ludicrous to even mention, as much of our population and many our leaders of this country are so "pu$$y," it's disgusting. In any case, *IF* people actually drove with the mentality discussed above, the improvements in traffic flow would be TREMENDOUS.

Our freeways stop FAR BEFORE their saturation point. Why? Simple--because too many people can't fu*king drive. This is for a host of reasons (e.g. not paying attention to driving, not realizing that their actions, say doing 60 mph on the 15N to Vegas, which is the exact same speed as the idiot to your right on a two-lane road, DOES IMPACT PEOPLE BEHIND YOU, etc.), and I shudder with the idea of attempting to list them all out, but the motto discussed above would go a long way towards helping traffic along.

Why do I bring this up? Well, it ties in PERFECTLY with Left Lane Lurkers. WHAT THE FU*K ARE THESE PEOPLE DOING? They are annoying AS IS, EVEN IF YOU CAN PASS THEM, but they achieve a new level of MORON when they mate with some other a$$hole in the lane next to them, forming a "wall" that people can't pass, backing up traffic the entire time. How long will it take before it becomes legal to just stab these people in the head with a large, sharp instrument?

What can possibly be the thought process for wanting to hang out in the "fast lane" anyways? Do they REALLY think they are going to get to their destination faster doing 65 mph in the #1 lane vs. 65 in the #2 or #3 lane? It's rude & it's inefficient and people like this are ONLY HURTING the situation, NOT HELPING.

And, for the record, congestion (and similar issues) cause far more road rage than high-brighting EVER could. Jesus Christ, where do these people come from that want to spread that bullsh*t propaganda?

Sorry---this is one of the few topics that I am--AHEM--extremely passionate about.

Last edited by Luna.; 03-28-2006 at 03:10 PM.
Old 03-28-2006 | 03:44 PM

04' E55
I disagree.

First off, I have received multiple tickets and paid thousands in fines over my 18 years of driving, and it hasn't deterred me one bit. A matter of fact, the only deterrent is that you get a point on your record, and if you accumulate more than 3 points in a 12 month period, it could result in your driving privilege being revoked. Secondly, high insurance rates also keep people in check, as we 'd much rather pay a one-time fine than to see our rates increase steadily, year after year after year. Thus, the fine is not really the primary deterrent.

Lastly, I can't remember the last time I was "inconvenienced" on the highway in a traffic jam as a direct result of a FATALITY accident VERSUS a NON-fatality accident; In both cases, there is traffic.

I do however appreciate your 2 cents.

Allen