Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

going from an e46 m3 to a w211 e55..couple questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-06-2006, 08:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
03 RRE Evo, 06 E55
stock evos and stis are about the same as a m3 off the line stock simply because of awd, traction is something every rwd car dreams about. I believe the new evos now come with around 280lbs of torque stock and the impreza must be sporting @ least 300lbs I'd imagine since it's got the 2.5l motor. The new m3 definitely will be a cool car from the initial rumored specs.....the rwd high powered cars are monster fwy racer cars but off the line they'll be chewed left and right by awd.....can't really compare....different purposes. Now if the new m3 has 300lbs of torque.....that'd be extremely sad but I find that unlikely, should be a fairly even powerband for the m3 sportin the 8 cyclinder.
Old 04-06-2006, 09:24 PM
Almost a Member!

M3
wow I didnt know they came with that much tq? Well i stand corrected then.
Old 04-06-2006, 09:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by OUTLAW///M3 SMG
Are you sure about that? where are you getting your facts from? especially on your last statement.

I was talking around town... not highway.

7spd and 400hp will be a killer on the open road..

3400lb + pounds, and only 300lbs of torque.. not very good around town and legal speeds..

you average IS350, 350z, G and EVO and STI should not be nothing to worry bout.

but when AMG will put a 6.3 engine on the next C-class.. and 7spds. The new IS500 will have a v8 and probably the next Infiniti G will have a V8 and Infiniti GTR will have TT, supra will have a v10 5L.. it will tough business for the M3/4.

The new M3/4 will have the same engine characteristics of the M5/6. High output Hp, and average torque.

No doubt it will fast, agile and balance, but it will still have one huge missing component.. torque.
Old 04-06-2006, 09:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
just thought we make all most official on the M3 v8 engine output..

http://www.supercars.net/pitlane/pics/1351021d.jpg

if they keep the weight about the same as the current E46, 310tq will not bad, but nothing spectacular.

probably will see these figures go up a bit... a few hps and torque..

but this car will be a blast on the open road...
Old 04-06-2006, 11:09 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2019 GT2RS, 2021 AMG GT Black Series, 2020 G63 and 2022 Bentley Flying Spur
Thumbs up Flipped out of an M5 and into my E55 4 weeks ago.

I had an 03 M5 that was coming up to the end of its lease. I loved every minute of my time with the M5. Before the M5 I had an M3 for several years. I expected to be a BMW driver forever.I started looking at the new M5 near the beginning of the year. I test drove it 3 times and what I found was that I hated the smg trans. Given the choice between the smg and my auto E55 it was for me an easy decision. I hated the way the M5 lagged before going into gear. The horrible low end torque is unforgivable What everyone says is that when you drive the smg HARD it is the quickest shifting trans around. But when you driive normally it S**ks big time.

When I got my M5 in Feb. 2003 it was nearing the end of its production run and it was still impossible to get. When I was looking at the new M5 my local dealership had 3 on their lot and ebay had a constant supply of unsold cars that had several thousand miles and couldn't be sold for a significant reduction over invoice. To me that is telling me that this car lacks something and that it is way overpriced.

I was so disappointed with the 5 that I even test drove an M3 again. But once you've lived with an 8 cylinder car for several years there was no going back to a six. It seemed too toy-like to be my daily driver. Perhaps a weekend car. I thought I would be bored with the automatic myself. That has not been the case though. The torque and HP more than make up for the auto trans. As for the handling it may not handle as well as the M's but IMO it handles well enough. I have really had a lot of fun driving this car. Its only been 4 weeks and time will tell but it has been a blast so far.

I use to believe that the benz was too sedate and sort of an old man's car. So far my E55 has proven me completely wrong. I drove the CLK 55 and the CL 55 in my search for an M5 replacement and I was not impressed. But the E55 was immediately a winner. I knew within 3 blocks of the dealership that this was going to be my next car. It is an awesome machine. Comfortable and A** kicking all in one package. You definitely won't be sorry. Good luck in your quest.
Old 04-07-2006, 10:01 PM
Almost a Member!

M3
Originally Posted by TopGun32

you average IS350, 350z, G and EVO and STI should not be nothing to worry bout.
I have absolutely no problems with an is350, 350z, evo and sti in a drag race or especially at highway speeds.

Lets just wait and see when the new M3 comes out. The reason the new M5 are not getting the low 12 ets. Is because of the crippled us launch control. When the software is cracked like it has been for the e46 M3. It will be a whole different story.

There was a bone stock e60 M5 that ran 11.53@125mph on 20 inch radial tires with a 100 shot nitrous. (dragtimes.com) Add some Drag radials and that car is getting daam close to knocking on the 10s. Now with full exhaust Hmmmmmm. Still a stock internal motor. Only time will tell. Cheers!!

Last edited by OUTLAW///M3 SMG; 04-07-2006 at 10:08 PM.