Sponsored by:

Best time to buy an E55...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-11-2006, 04:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
06 C55
Best time to buy an E55...

Just wondering how you guys feel about the "best" time to buy an (2006 or otherwise) E55. Especially now that the E63 is officially out.

I realize the lease special is going on now, but will there be better offers in a few months? Should I pull the trigger now, or wait until, say, June?

I've been shopping around for a 2006 or "new" 2005, and on the '06s, dealers hesitate to drop down to invoice. There is still a lot of resistance. And if they do, they try to screw me on my trade-in.

Thoughts?
Old 04-11-2006, 05:03 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 186 Likes on 135 Posts
Best time to buy is when the 2007 63's are in the dealer's inventory and it's the end of the month...stay away from big city/high net worth areas too.
Old 04-11-2006, 05:07 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Various
Looks like we are on the same boat. I am thinking July/August time frame but I am afraid by then most of them will have been sold.
Old 04-11-2006, 05:11 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 186 Likes on 135 Posts
Then try to find a dealer that has 3 or 4 remaining, as the more E55's they have the better the deal should be.
Old 04-11-2006, 05:57 PM
Banned

AMGs
Originally Posted by sbkim
Looks like we are on the same boat. I am thinking July/August time frame but I am afraid by then most of them will have been sold.
Yup... Dont wait too long because dealerships will NOT have the car with all the RIGHT OPTIONS that you want... You will have to take whatever left in their inventory...
Old 04-11-2006, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by jladdy
I've been shopping around for a 2006 or "new" 2005, and on the '06s, dealers hesitate to drop down to invoice. There is still a lot of resistance.
My dealer had NO problem going $100 back of invoice, which leads me to believe I left a lot on the table.

The E55's have tons of factory-to-dealer incentives. If anyone is resisting, they are living in a dream world.
Old 04-11-2006, 08:52 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2005 E55 silver
Originally Posted by jladdy
they try to screw me on my trade-in.
I hope you are mentioning your trade-in after you negotiate a price. Don't tell 'em you have a trade in till after.

Trending Topics

Old 04-11-2006, 09:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
380 SEL 1982
thats how you get thrown out of dealerships

Originally Posted by CLKFREAK
I hope you are mentioning your trade-in after you negotiate a price. Don't tell 'em you have a trade in till after.
Thats called springing the trade and is a surefire way to aggrivate the staff to the point that they won't give you top dollar. Even if you do make it this far, chances are you didn't do as good on the new car because you aren't truly comitted- how can you be if a trade is really an integral part of the deal?

Better would be to have offers in hand from a Carmax or other used car outlet.

Also put a for sale sign on it with a very high price on it to indicate your willingness to sell it privately and for a high price at that.

The best deals to be had are when all variables are on the table, there are several in stock to chose from, and it is the end of the month and the end of the evening for that matter. Dealership staff has lives to and they do wear out just like everyone else. Just be sure to eat dinner before you go in, that $20 can pay you back tenfold.
Old 04-11-2006, 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by bcmbcmbcm
Thats called springing the trade and is a surefire way to aggrivate the staff to the point that they won't give you top dollar. Even if you do make it this far, chances are you didn't do as good on the new car because you aren't truly comitted- how can you be if a trade is really an integral part of the deal?

Also put a for sale sign on it with a very high price on it to indicate your willingness to sell it privately and for a high price at that.

The best deals to be had are when all variables are on the table, there are several in stock to chose from, and it is the end of the month and the end of the evening for that matter. Dealership staff has lives to and they do wear out just like everyone else. Just be sure to eat dinner before you go in, that $20 can pay you back tenfold.

Thats great advice, you get the best deal when there is the possibility it will definately get done that day...and make sure "that day" is the 31st of some month
Old 04-11-2006, 11:11 PM

'10 MB E63, '08 ML550 ('05 E55, '05 SL55, '08 E63 GONE)

Great advice. I'd add "end of the quarter" and "last day of the year" to the best times to buy a car...

~Ian
Old 04-11-2006, 11:22 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2005 E55 silver

Nah!! you just leave when they blow you off. I have a very wealthy friend that walks out of the dealerships many times, yet manages to get called back to accept what he offered. Don't think the dealers are the one in control.
Old 04-12-2006, 02:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
380 SEL 1982
Your statement is correct but is a non sequitor

Originally Posted by CLKFREAK
Nah!! you just leave when they blow you off. I have a very wealthy friend that walks out of the dealerships many times, yet manages to get called back to accept what he offered. Don't think the dealers are the one in control.
I am not sure what point you are trying to make and how it relates to mine.

I agree with everything you say except 'nah' ; your points are valid and so are mine it is not one or the other. They are not connected.

Walking out is good. Getting called back is better. Good job wealthy friend. You are right, dealerships are not in control. But..springing the trade is an amateur tactic that will not produce the best results. A skilled negotiator can handle many variables at once. Couple this with the willingness to walk and some time dedicated to research and watch out the price floor is coming fast.

Also wealth or lack thereof has nothing to do with these negotiations. It is all about knowledge, tactic and skill. However, springing the trade is an amateurish tactic that might save some money but will result in unnecessary stress (unless this is what the buyer seeks?) and WILL NOT provide the lowest price available to the buyer.

It amazes me that people think with all of the resources available online these days from incentives to the used car market, inventory, financing and more that brain damage is required to reach rock bottom as it did 20 years ago; today it simply takes brains.
Old 04-12-2006, 10:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2018 Mclaren 720s, 2021 Aston Martin DBX
I'd go for it now. Financing payments will not beat the current lease deals and if you wait, selection will only be more limited.
Old 04-12-2006, 10:30 AM

I am not sure what point you are trying to make and how it relates to mine.

I agree with everything you say except 'nah' ; your points are valid and so are mine it is not one or the other. They are not connected.

Walking out is good. Getting called back is better. Good job wealthy friend. You are right, dealerships are not in control. But..springing the trade is an amateur tactic that will not produce the best results. A skilled negotiator can handle many variables at once. Couple this with the willingness to walk and some time dedicated to research and watch out the price floor is coming fast.

Also wealth or lack thereof has nothing to do with these negotiations. It is all about knowledge, tactic and skill. However, springing the trade is an amateurish tactic that might save some money but will result in unnecessary stress (unless this is what the buyer seeks?) and WILL NOT provide the lowest price available to the buyer.

It amazes me that people think with all of the resources available online these days from incentives to the used car market, inventory, financing and more that brain damage is required to reach rock bottom as it did 20 years ago; today it simply takes brains.

Your right, it doesn't even require much negotiation anymore. Find a reasonable trade in price for your car online and what the current best price is for your new purchase and keep saying no until you get it. Don't even need to leave the house anymore.
Old 04-12-2006, 01:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2018 Mclaren 720s, 2021 Aston Martin DBX
Online trade-in price guides are worthless. Dealers will lowball you using current auction sales and then lower those numbers even more to cover their butts.