Sponsored by:

Extended Warranty vs. Resale Value

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-13-2006, 08:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2003 SL500
Extended Warranty vs. Resale Value

Without trying to get into the pros and cons of extended warranty, I’m trying to get an opinion on just how much and extended warranty adds to the resale value of a newer car. For example a 05’ E55 with 3 years left on factory warranty: An extended warranty (bumper to bumper, $0 deductible, 3 additional years or 100k total miles) costs $3400 at this time. How much would it add or not add to the resale value 2 or 3 years from now? Any thoughts would be appreciated. Of course anyone buying a used car would prefer an extended warranty on the vehicle but at what additional price? Thanks
Glenn B.
Old 04-13-2006, 10:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

STS,FGT,12C,P85D,M4
I think it depends on when you sold the car.... if you sell while it's still under the original 4/50k warranty, then the buyer can extend the warranty themselves with MB...

if you sold after the 4/50k was up, the MB extended warranty options are most likely gone.... so having the extended warranty at that point will certainly fetch you a premium over a car with no warranty/warranty options...
Old 04-13-2006, 11:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
1395 E. Presidents Circle • SLC, UT 841121395 E. Presidents Circle • SLC, UT 84112
I think it depends on when you sold the car.... if you sell while it's still under the original 4/50k warranty, then the buyer can extend the warranty themselves with MB...
See, that's what I thought, then I called my local MB dealer and they literally told me I was SOL when I purchased my used E55. Unless you buy it new, no dice they said. Course they coined the phrase "stealership" so who knows.

Also, had a massive extended warranty on my ole E500 and literally got nothing out of it as far as resale.

Just my 2 cents....
Old 04-14-2006, 12:02 AM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
E550
I got it on my 04, but i plan on keeping it for at least 4 or 5 more years. IMO, i would not own one of these kompressor's without a warranty, could you imagine a catostrophic engine failure out of your own pocket? I really dont think it adds much resale value to the car, just owner confidence if you plan on keeping it for a lenght of time. I almost forgot to mention, if you have an 04, extending the warranty also extends the free service and maintenance.

Last edited by lauer87; 04-14-2006 at 12:06 AM.
Old 04-14-2006, 12:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

G63, AMG GT S
Originally Posted by Jakpro1
1395 E. Presidents Circle • SLC, UT 841121395 E. Presidents Circle • SLC, UT 84112

See, that's what I thought, then I called my local MB dealer and they literally told me I was SOL when I purchased my used E55. Unless you buy it new, no dice they said. Course they coined the phrase "stealership" so who knows.

Also, had a massive extended warranty on my ole E500 and literally got nothing out of it as far as resale.

Just my 2 cents....
You don't need Mercedes to get a warranty-- there are many other sources for warranties.
Old 04-14-2006, 12:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
00 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by Fikse
...if you sold after the 4/50k was up, the MB extended warranty options are most likely gone.... so having the extended warranty at that point will certainly fetch you a premium over a car with no warranty/warranty options...
An informed buyer will seek a vehicle with a remaining balance of a factory warranty or an extended warranty. I believe an extended warranty would add $2K to $3K to the resale value of a vehicle. I recently purchased from a private party a certified used 00 E55 with seven months remaining on a transferable extended one year warranty. Ultimately, I willingly paid $2K over trade-in value for this vehicle. Thus far, I have had the transmission shifter assembly, transmission filter, gasket, and fluid, rear main seals, engine mounts, belt tensor, belt, and the window switch group replaced under this warranty. At this point, I feel I have received my monies worth with six months to detect any future warranty issues. In all, peace of mind.