Sponsored by:

Tomorrow could be the "Big Day"!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-14-2006, 11:22 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 260 Likes on 186 Posts
Talking Tomorrow could be the "Big Day"!

The E55 I've been waiting for has finally made it to the dealership. My G/F and I will be driving 2 hrs to go see the 55. I hope the test drive goes well and there are no vibrations or steering wheel shimmies from the crappy Conti tires as that may kill the whole thing; if this is a problem I'm hoping there will be a new 06 S class sedan there with Michelin Pilot's as they have the same AMG rims and tire size as the E55's so we can swap them, if not I'll be very, very depressed.

I'll report back (with pic's if all goes well) tomorrow.

Here's the spec's:

2006 E55 (March production).
Iriduim Silver Metallic
Pano Roof w/Premium Package
Keyless Go
Lighting
Trunk Closer

I used an auto broker for the first time after buying many, many high end cars over the years. Amil (the broker) has been great in tracking down the car, color, options and getting as close as possible to a local dealer; he also got me very good pricing considering it's still in S Florida. I would recommend using Amil without reservation, his screen name on this board is ajf1.

Last edited by RJC; 04-14-2006 at 11:27 PM.
Old 04-14-2006, 11:31 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AMGs
Originally Posted by RJC
The E55 I've been waiting for has finally made it to the dealership. My G/F and I will be driving 2 hrs to go see the 55. I hope the test drive goes well and there are no vibrations or steering wheel shimmies from the crappy Conti tires as that may kill the whole thing; if this is a problem I'm hoping there will be a new 06 S class sedan there with Michelin Pilot's as they have the same AMG rims and tire size as the E55's so we can swap them, if not I'll be very, very depressed.

I'll report back (with pic's if all goes well) tomorrow.

Here's the spec's:

2006 E55 (March production).
Iriduim Silver Metallic
Pano Roof w/Premium Package
Keyless Go
Lighting
Trunk Closer

I used an auto broker for the first time after buying many, many high end cars over the years. Amil (the broker) has been great in tracking down the car, color, options and getting as close as possible to a local dealer; he also got me very good pricing considering it's still in S Florida. I would recommend using Amil without reservation, his screen name on this board is ajf1.

NO Burlwood and SAT? Congrats!

Last edited by 2K6E55; 04-14-2006 at 11:35 PM.
Old 04-15-2006, 10:32 AM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thanks. I like the black wood and the car came with the trunk closer and pano (which I could have lived without and maybe would've got sat instead) but I wanted a silver/char right off the truck so I couldn't be too picky.
Old 04-15-2006, 10:42 AM

07 S65
Let us know how it goes. You will love the Pano option with the Silver. It's makes the interior when open I think. It also gives a more aggressive look to a silver car with the black pano roof. Good luck.
Old 04-15-2006, 09:27 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Unhappy Delivery Day

Well we went to get my new 2006 E55 today. When we arrived at the dealership (a 2 hour drive) we were taken to the car and it was glimmering in the sunlight; it looked amazing. The Iridium Silver and the black pano roof is quite a sight. We immediately left for a test drive, the car had 13 miles on the odo, once we got up to 50 mph the steering wheel started shimming back and forth like the agitator on a washine machine but 10 x's faster; I was very worried this would happen due to the Conti tires and sure enough it did . It gets a little worse, once I applied the brakes the whole car vibrated rather strongly and the steeering wheel shook even harder! I turned the car around and went right back to the dealership. The weird thing is the last 06 E55 we tested locally did the exact same thing which we thought was due to rusty rotors etc; anyone else have this issue @ delivery, is there something they're missing during PDI ? The Service Mgr asked to take the car out and she came back to say "something was simply not right", and she said she even tried repeated hard higher speed stops to get some of the very very light rust off but she said it just vibrated worse! The Service Mgr thinks the rotors all need to be replaced, she wanted to balance all four tires but I told her not to bother as from all I've read here about cold morning shimmies/flat spots etc I knew the only real solution was 4 new Michelin Pilots. The GM then got involved and we worked out a deal where they would overninght 4 PS2's to the dealership install them and do whatever it takes to get the brakes right. I also met the tech that will be doing all the work and he is a Master Tech and assured me he would hand torque all the lugs and use a new plastic coated tool they just got to use when dismounting and mounting the tires, I think they also have a Hunter GSP 9700 balancer (this all made me feel better ) . The GM did not ask me to sign anything until I come back next week and test the car again and make sure it's 100% perfect; very impressive. The service people were amazed how good my 2004 CLK 500 looked inside and out, not or mark, swirl to be found on the slippery black paint and the stone interior still smelled and looked like new. Part of the deal with the new tires was allowing me to keep the Conit Sport 2's (which have a whopping 20 miles on them); I'll either keep them for lease return or sell all 4 of them for $600. I can't wait to hear if anyone here has experienced the brake issue during their test drive and the solution; I'm hoping maybe they missed something regarding the brakes during the PDI. I called my broker Amil known here as ajf1, he was very supportive and was very concerned the car was going to be right, he's a good guy to work with. I have to wait 4-5 very long days for the tires and brakes parts to come in and be installed then drive back up to the dealer and hopefully drive her home .
Old 04-15-2006, 09:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 E55
Originally Posted by RJC
Well we went to get my new 2006 E55 today. When we arrived at the dealership (a 2 hour drive) we were taken to the car and it was glimmering in the sunlight; it looked amazing. The Iridium Silver and the black pano roof is quite a sight. We immediately left for a test drive, the car had 13 miles on the odo, once we got up to 50 mph the steering wheel started shimming back and forth like the agitator on a washine machine but 10 x's faster; I was very worried this would happen due to the Conti tires and sure enough it did . It gets a little worse, once I applied the brakes the whole car vibrated rather strongly and the steeering wheel shook even harder! I turned the car around and went right back to the dealership. The weird thing is the last 06 E55 we tested locally did the exact same thing which we thought was due to rusty rotors etc; anyone else have this issue @ delivery, is there something they're missing during PDI ? The Service Mgr asked to take the car out and she came back to say "something was simply not right", and she said she even tried repeated hard higher speed stops to get some of the very very light rust off but she said it just vibrated worse! The Service Mgr thinks the rotors all need to be replaced, she wanted to balance all four tires but I told her not to bother as from all I've read here about cold morning shimmies/flat spots etc I knew the only real solution was 4 new Michelin Pilots. The GM then got involved and we worked out a deal where they would overninght 4 PS2's to the dealership install them and do whatever it takes to get the brakes right. I also met the tech that will be doing all the work and he is a Master Tech and assured me he would hand torque all the lugs and use a new plastic coated tool they just got to use when dismounting and mounting the tires, I think they also have a Hunter GSP 9700 balancer (this all made me feel better ) . The GM did not ask me to sign anything until I come back next week and test the car again and make sure it's 100% perfect; very impressive. The service people were amazed how good my 2004 CLK 500 looked inside and out, not or mark, swirl to be found on the slippery black paint and the stone interior still smelled and looked like new. Part of the deal with the new tires was allowing me to keep the Conit Sport 2's (which have a whopping 20 miles on them); I'll either keep them for lease return or sell all 4 of them for $600. I can't wait to hear if anyone here has experienced the brake issue during their test drive and the solution; I'm hoping maybe they missed something regarding the brakes during the PDI. I called my broker Amil known here as ajf1, he was very supportive and was very concerned the car was going to be right, he's a good guy to work with. I have to wait 4-5 very long days for the tires and brakes parts to come in and be installed then drive back up to the dealer and hopefully drive her home .
My steering wheel vibrated too upon delivery. Badly, but not as badly as you described. Turns out that the tires were underinflated by 5 pounds. Having said that, the car would always have a bit of a shimmy on cold tires. Especially if the car had been sitting in my garage for a week or so. I found that inflating the tires to 36 or 37 lbs helped with the vibration.

With Michelin PS2's, I don't have this problem at all.
Old 04-15-2006, 09:42 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by enzom
My steering wheel vibrated too upon delivery. Badly, but not as badly as you described. Turns out that the tires were underinflated by 5 pounds. Having said that, the car would always have a bit of a shimmy on cold tires. Especially if the car had been sitting in my garage for a week or so. I found that inflating the tires to 36 or 37 lbs helped with the vibration.

With Michelin PS2's, I don't have this problem at all.
Thanks glad there was no issue with the brakes at delivery for you.

Last edited by RJC; 04-15-2006 at 10:37 PM.
Old 04-15-2006, 09:44 PM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Depends on the weather
I took delivery yesterday on my E55 and there were no vibrations at all.
It has the oem conti's and it's smooth as silk.
Old 04-15-2006, 09:47 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Minte
I took delivery yesterday on my E55 and there were no vibrations at all.
It has the oem conti's and it's smooth as silk.
Congrats and many safe and happy miles ! The car I drove only had vibration when the brakes were applied, but the steering wheel shimmied with the brakes on or off, but the ride was smooth until I used the brakes.
Old 04-15-2006, 10:30 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
3 Porsche rotation
Sorry to hear about your exprience. I took delivery couple of weeks ago and drove on the thruway/freeway home. I didn't experience any vibration or any problems at all. The Conti tires are noisier than the PS2 on my 2002 E55 and I will replace them soon too. I was told and shown the SBC brake is still in the 2006, and honestly I thought it performs quite well. Good luck and hope you get your car soon.

John
Old 04-15-2006, 10:31 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by JohnAMG
Sorry to hear about your exprience. I took delivery couple of weeks ago and drove on the thruway/freeway home. I didn't experience any vibration or any problems at all. The Conti tires are noisier than the PS2 on my 2002 E55 and I will replace them soon too. I was told and shown the SBC brake is still in the 2006, and honestly I thought it performs quite well. Good luck and hope you get your car soon.

John
Thanks
Old 04-15-2006, 10:33 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by DJe55
Let us know how it goes. You will love the Pano option with the Silver. It's makes the interior when open I think. It also gives a more aggressive look to a silver car with the black pano roof. Good luck.
Thanks for the good wishes, hope to get her home soon, this is torture

Last edited by RJC; 04-15-2006 at 10:36 PM.
Old 04-16-2006, 12:55 AM
Banned

AMGs
Originally Posted by RJC

I am glad that the dealer is accomodating to your request... That's why we buy Benz...
Old 04-16-2006, 12:58 AM
Banned

AMGs
Originally Posted by RJC
Congrats and many safe and happy miles ! The car I drove only had vibration when the brakes were applied, but the steering wheel shimmied with the brakes on or off, but the ride was smooth until I used the brakes.

My 3 weeks old has the same problem, I took mine to the dealership, it stayed over for 3 days (the car has the same problem, added it steers to the RIGHT), the dealership fixed the issue and it is running very well now w/about 800 miles. :-)
Old 04-16-2006, 01:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
Wow....thought I was the only one. Same here, but I had alig nment and PS2's put on in one shot so not sure which helped it, but no problems since. DEATH TO CONTIS!!!!
Old 04-16-2006, 09:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2000 W210 E55->2003 R230 SL500->2004 W211 E55->2007 997TT+2007 E63->2010 GLK350->2012 E550 4matic
Excellent deal, I would sell the Contis for $600.
Old 04-16-2006, 10:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

STS,FGT,12C,P85D,M4
what dealer was this at?
Old 04-16-2006, 11:16 AM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by 2K6E55
My 3 weeks old has the same problem, I took mine to the dealership, it stayed over for 3 days (the car has the same problem, added it steers to the RIGHT), the dealership fixed the issue and it is running very well now w/about 800 miles. :-)
What did they do to fix the problem w/ the brakes?

Last edited by RJC; 04-16-2006 at 11:24 AM.
Old 04-16-2006, 11:20 AM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Jakpro1
Wow....thought I was the only one. Same here, but I had alig nment and PS2's put on in one shot so not sure which helped it, but no problems since. DEATH TO CONTIS!!!!
Did you have any issues with the brakes too?
Old 04-16-2006, 11:21 AM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by W210
Excellent deal, I would sell the Contis for $600.
Should I list them here and on ebay?
Old 04-16-2006, 11:22 AM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Fikse
what dealer was this at?
Ft Pierce...
Old 04-17-2006, 02:34 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E63S
Originally Posted by RJC
Well we went to get my new 2006 E55 today.
Congrats! Where did you get it -- what a ncie dealership -- and how much did you pay relative to MSRP?
Old 04-17-2006, 03:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

STS,FGT,12C,P85D,M4
I sold my two front conti's on ebay for about $80+ shipping.... good luck...
Old 04-17-2006, 03:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
Did you have any issues with the brakes too?
Nah everything seems fine with them.....heh, meaning I haven't died yet.

SBC still kinda creeping me out.

If you have ANY problems at all, I would be ALLLLL over Benz.

Post 1

A must read as well....kinda sounds like the trouble you are talking about
Old 04-17-2006, 03:44 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Jakpro1
Nah everything seems fine with them.....heh, meaning I haven't died yet.

SBC still kinda creeping me out.

If you have ANY problems at all, I would be ALLLLL over Benz.

Post 1

A must read as well....kinda sounds like the trouble you are talking about
Thanks. I had no warning lights beeps etc; the dealership thinks it's just the rotors and 4 new one's are being overnighted to them. My PS2's should also be overnighted and I'm hoping if all goes well I'll pick her up on Thursday!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Tomorrow could be the "Big Day"!