Sponsored by:

Total System Failure

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-25-2006, 03:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 E55 K1
Exclamation Total System Failure

So I accelerate from a red light with my 2003 E55 when suddenly my display reads "Electrical Consumers Off" in red with a battery on dispaly. Then take to shop or something like that. Next I see on display that the ESP system has failed, then the coolant system has failed, then stop immediately because the brake system has failed. After stopping at about the same time all this was going on, I turned off the engine.

I decided to limp home since home was about 2 miles and the brakes seemed to work. The car was locked in first gear and nothing electrical worked, including turn signals, windows or emergency flashers. I kept an eye on coolant temp. which rose steadily to about 100 C. by the time I got home. The oil system seemed to be OK, which was my biggest concern. Oddly enough, the transmission started to work just as I pulled into driveway. I towed car to local MB dealer (on a flatbed of course), who says it sounds like the battery/alternater failed.

This all happened just a few hours ago. I will keep you posted on source of problems.
Old 04-25-2006, 04:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL55AMG, ML420CDI, E320TCDI
Sounds like an alternator failure. When alternator fails, car starts draw power from batteries. When battery voltage gets low, system failure starts comming up. Assume your batteries are ok.
Old 04-26-2006, 12:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W221 S65 AMG
I got the same message "Electrical Consumers Off" but it was likely because I have a 20lb battery, not the stock 55lb one. I had the car sitting for 2 weeks. Power came back on about 20 minutes later. I did not get a total system melt down like you did.

Sounds like the altenator/battery for your car.