W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63

If so Many People Are Unhappy with the Contis...Why do They Have Them?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-03-2006 | 04:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55
Originally Posted by SoxFan
So, you're basically saying the SP2s are more responive?

Exactly. Point was that you don't need to thrash the car around to know that you are not riding on Conti's. It is evident even in normal driving.
Old 05-03-2006 | 05:06 PM

E63S
Originally Posted by enzom
Exactly. Point was that you don't need to thrash the car around to know that you are not riding on Conti's. It is evident even in normal driving.
Got it...but I am pretty damn happy with the way this car handles/feels.

As I asked a while ago, what are the expected mileage durability ranges for the Contis vs. the PS2s? My recollection with my previous PS2s is that they needed to be replaced after about 17,500-20,000 miles?
Old 05-03-2006 | 05:23 PM
Banned

2003 E55 AMG
That's because you don't know any better right now.. You are only able to make a judgement on your car based on how it feels with the stock Contis.. Once you've replaced them with the PS2 and you get a chance to see how quiet and how much better they handle you'll wonder why you bothered with the stock Contis at all..

Old 05-03-2006 | 07:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55

As I asked a while ago, what are the expected mileage durability ranges for the Contis vs. the PS2s? My recollection with my previous PS2s is that they needed to be replaced after about 17,500-20,000 miles?
I only got about 6,000 miles from my Conti rears. Probably could have pushed a bit longer, but I really wanted to swap for PS2's. I only have 1,000 miles or so on my PS2's, so I can't tell you how they are wearing.

I am very happy that I made the switch. After driving the PS2-shod cars at the AMG Challenge and then driving my own Conti-shod car home, I really did notice a difference. That really made me want to switch tires. It isn't like driving a new car, but it is much improved.