Sponsored by:

Question about VA dealer

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-30-2006, 03:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
06 C55
Question about VA dealer

Does anybody have any experience with Select Auto Imports in Alexandria, VA? Good? Bad? My impression is that they're a bit on the shady side.
Old 05-01-2006, 11:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S4
bought my e320 from there....in my experience they're honest and have good clean, cars...one of the better independant dealers, can save you $$ over buying used from a mercedes dealer
Old 05-01-2006, 02:08 PM

06 C55
Where do they get their cars? They seem to have an unending supply of Benzes, BMWs, etc.
Old 05-01-2006, 03:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S4
I asked the same question when I bought the car from there...
manager/owner said they get their cars from trade-ins, off leases, auctions, and they also have a large selection of brand new mercs as well, so they must get those straight from mbusa...
Old 05-01-2006, 04:29 PM

S55 AMG '06
I bought my first BMW there and have helped 4 other people buy cars there. Some of the sales reps are a little shady, but if you know what you're doing, you won't get burned. Inventory is very nice and cars are clean. Make sure you understand that you have to ask them if any panels of the car have been repainted and have them put it in writing. They do a good deal of touch-up work from my experience, as most used car dealers do. My 328i had an entire panel rear panel repainted, but I never knew it. They just told me the car had never been in an accident or repaired.

The guy who owns the place is Mike and Robert runs it. Both excellent guys and honest to a fault. They will tell you what they have in the car (est.) and how much profit they want to make. I like dealing with that kind of honesty. Keep in mind that they buy cars in lots (most of the time)...20 at a time say, so the value they have "in the car" is relative. If they sell the other 19 cars at a 5k profit, they could give you yours for free and they still made out like a bandit. The head sales guy Alex left and now works for Mercedez of Alexandria used cars. You can chat with him if you want the inside scoop. Even working there though, he still has good things to say as do other dealers I've spoken with.

In short, top rate cars, honest guys (though some of the sales guys are unctuous), but, like any other used car shop, do your homework. For a used car shop where you have to do the least homework to feel comfortable...this is the place. None of the 4 people I helped to get cars there ever had a mechanical problem...nada. They do huge repeat business. Hope this helps.
Old 05-01-2006, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by peebs1
I bought my first BMW there and have helped 4 other people buy cars there. Some of the sales reps are a little shady, but if you know what you're doing, you won't get burned. Inventory is very nice and cars are clean. Make sure you understand that you have to ask them if any panels of the car have been repainted and have them put it in writing. They do a good deal of touch-up work from my experience, as most used car dealers do. My 328i had an entire panel rear panel repainted, but I never knew it. They just told me the car had never been in an accident or repaired.

The guy who owns the place is Mike and Robert runs it. Both excellent guys and honest to a fault. They will tell you what they have in the car (est.) and how much profit they want to make. I like dealing with that kind of honesty. Keep in mind that they buy cars in lots (most of the time)...20 at a time say, so the value they have "in the car" is relative. If they sell the other 19 cars at a 5k profit, they could give you yours for free and they still made out like a bandit. The head sales guy Alex left and now works for Mercedez of Alexandria used cars. You can chat with him if you want the inside scoop. Even working there though, he still has good things to say as do other dealers I've spoken with.

In short, top rate cars, honest guys (though some of the sales guys are unctuous), but, like any other used car shop, do your homework. For a used car shop where you have to do the least homework to feel comfortable...this is the place. None of the 4 people I helped to get cars there ever had a mechanical problem...nada. They do huge repeat business. Hope this helps.

Well you can't ask for a much better review than that! Thanks for taking the time to tell us, peebs
Old 05-01-2006, 11:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

04 E55
"My 328i had an entire panel rear panel repainted, but I never knew it. They just told me the car had never been in an accident or repaired.

The guy who owns the place is Mike and Robert runs it. Both excellent guys and honest to a fault. They will tell you what they have in the car (est.) and how much profit they want to make. I like dealing with that kind of honesty. "

Sounds like they BS'd you about the panel right ? A car salesman will tell you ANYTHING to sell a car...and he won't be losing money either !!!
Old 05-01-2006, 11:50 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E63S
Originally Posted by peebs1
My 328i had an entire panel rear panel repainted, but I never knew it. They just told me the car had never been in an accident or repaired.

The guy who owns the place is Mike and Robert runs it. Both excellent guys and honest to a fault.
These two comments seem inconsistent to me: how can I guy NOT tell you an "entire panel rear panel repainted", but still be "honest to a fault"?
Old 10-07-2006, 04:56 PM

S55 AMG '06
Sorry for the delayed response, but I just was reading over my posts and saw this. Select Auto didn't lie to me about the panel being repainted...I never asked if any paintwork had been done. I've since learned to ask that question. They guarantee no frame damage and no body work. Touch up or repainting of a panel is not something I have found a used car dealer will disclose unless asked. I never even knew about it until I went to sell that car. So, I do think that they are extremely honest guys, and they have really nice cars. At the same time, you have to be an educated buyer when you're looking at used vehicles and know what kinds of things to ask. Used car dealers don't walk you around the car to show you all of the flaws...curb rash, worn leather, rock chips...that's really our job as consumers. I just know the car I bought and the ones my friends bought were all mechanically sound and never had issues.