W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63

Touch Shift Question?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-08-2006 | 05:04 PM

MY MB WAS LEMON'D
Touch Shift Question?

When using touch shift, do you treat it like a "normal" stick shift car to where you let off the gas a second when you switch gears?

And also.... does the w211 automatically up-shift you when you red line a certain gear in touch shift mode?
Old 05-09-2006 | 12:06 AM

2003 CL55 Kompressor Horizon Blue Metallic
Originally Posted by john doe iii
When using touch shift, do you treat it like a "normal" stick shift car to where you let off the gas a second when you switch gears?

And also.... does the w211 automatically up-shift you when you red line a certain gear in touch shift mode?
Given the info people provided on Sport versus Manual mode on the link a few clicks below, I wonder if my CL55 has a slightly different tranny software config than the E55's ... but here goes, assuming you mean Manual ("M") mode -

In aggressive but part throttle situations, I let off the gas slightly after the upshift selection to get the tranny to shift "near instantly". If I don't do this, the tranny will have a tendency to delay a bit (especially going from second to third). I learned this trick from hacking with other German autos.

Strangely, the AMG software will shift "near instantly" in full throttle situations if one wishes to short-shift. This is kinda fun and interesting because any Audi, BMW, or even my CL55 in sport or comfort mode with the slapstick will delay the shift until it's revved up to where the transmission would normally shift at full throttle.

Oh, and the secret to improve downshift response under braking with computer controlled auto trannies: Instead of doing a "heal and toe" downshift, slightly increase brake pressure after sending the downshift request.

My CL55 will bang against the rev limiter and will not upshift until requested.

Last edited by mclarenm8d; 05-09-2006 at 12:09 AM.
Old 05-09-2006 | 02:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

BMW E39
As mclaren stated, letting off tells the car to upshift immediately whereas staying on delays.

As full auto is always quicker, I only kick it into touch shift when I'm bored.