W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63

SHIMMY with new PS2's

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-11-2006 | 04:36 AM
Almost a Member!

SHIMMY with new PS2's

Hey Everyone,

I may need some help with this one. I want to see what ideas I can give the dealers to help fix the shimmy issue that some of the members have come across.

Tires on the car: Took everyone’s advice and slapped on a set of PS2.
Results: Tires stick pretty good, fairly quiet, unfortunately the SHIMMY begins!!!!!

When this happens: 50mphs and on…. Just depends on how the tires feel at the moment. After driving about a good 10-15 minutes will spark the shimmy also. Super noticeable when this happens but I have a very strong feeling after the tech see feels the shimmy the first thing that will come out his mouth is WOW it feels normal… And most likely I might open my door and just jump out due to the insane level of frustrations with the techs…

Things that I have done for results:
I have the tires balanced 3 times at two different places.. No flat spots to be found. No bents rims. Adjust PSI levels twice..

It’s driving me crazy because I have heard many owners change to these tires and it has the turn the car to another animal.. Unfortunately I happened to occur another problem….

What can I suggest to the techs to help eliminate the problem… Thanks everyone..
Old 05-11-2006 | 11:34 AM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Exclamation

See below I have PS2's with the shimmy @50-60 mph too.

Originally Posted by saveur
RJC,

Which Technical Bulletin are you referring to? I also have the shimmy at about the same speed that you mentioned, and would like some ammo to use against the service advisers...

I will try to get the DTB# from the tech when I see him next, he mentioned something about different style lower control arm bushings, he also said he would tighten up the steering rack; both the bushings and tightening the steering have been mentioned previously as fixes that cured the shimmy.
Old 05-11-2006 | 11:46 AM

You can also try getting it road-forced balanced. Look for a place that uses Hunter GSP9700 (with drum attachment).