W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63

CF Rear Diffuser

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-08-2006 | 01:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

209/W210 Estate /W211 modded by MBENZNL
Or Have One done in Silver Carbon Fiber..
Old 06-08-2006 | 01:54 PM

2005 e55
Originally Posted by Rock
Call me crazy but I don't think the factory piece looks bad. I think you guys are involved with staring at your E55's for prolonged amounts of time and like anything beautiful, you can begin to find faults if you scrutinize for long enough.

For example, I once stared at this picture for approximately 3hrs. and then I came to the brilliant conclusion that she needs to fix the mole under her left breast.

i have to agree with you on that.i do the same thing with just about everything i own including myself,i drive myself crazy with this preoccupation with perfection.gets tiring after a while,yet i still find myself doing it day after day.on the positive side, i see things that others overlook and this can be useful at times.
Old 06-08-2006 | 05:54 PM

'10 E63 AMG
I'm gonna try to pull mine off this weekend. I love this board - you find stuff like this all the time. Hey Loren, do you ever sleep? I see your posts at all hours - what, are you a vampire or something? BTW, I loved reading your slam of that guy who threw Frank under the bus on that Brabus bumper / PayPal issue - you are right on the money! What a dick!
Old 06-08-2006 | 06:41 PM

05 E55
Originally Posted by oblax4
I'm gonna try to pull mine off this weekend. I love this board - you find stuff like this all the time. Hey Loren, do you ever sleep? I see your posts at all hours - what, are you a vampire or something? BTW, I loved reading your slam of that guy who threw Frank under the bus on that Brabus bumper / PayPal issue - you are right on the money! What a dick!
Since you have silver wheels and the front silver grill, I can promise you you will like it much much better in the back now! Other car colors will look wicked with that additional color between the pipes now! Take your time doing it bit by bit...

Yeah, I'm a vampire... I have very weird hours. Plus I'm getting married in 3 weeks, so I'm a little sleepless... jk...

Loren
Old 06-08-2006 | 06:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

04 E55
Rock....bwaahahaha...that mole thing about choked me !!! You are so right !! But damn does that look good without it...This is tearing me up though...with my other cars I am a total originality freak...I am gonna now stare at the mole under Lorens wifes left breast and decide if I want to take that black piece off...Loren...I was kind of wondering myself what the hell you are doing posting at those goofy hours !!
Old 06-08-2006 | 07:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 E55, '05 SLK55, a few others
Don't think there'd be much of a difference on my Obsidian black '06, but I am going to try this to see if getting a replacement in CF is going to work out. If it's not too bad, I'll hit you (Mark or Brabus E55) guys up and get a quote. Since it seems the entire piece needs to be replaced, I guess $400.00 pobably isn't too much. Anybody want to quote a price for the board? Really don't want to put too much into it, it's a lease, and this POS is GONE at lease end. Man I miss my W210.
Old 06-08-2006 | 07:06 PM

'10 E63 AMG
Loren - congrats on the impending nuptials! Glad you took care of that mole before the wedding photos! Hah!
Old 06-09-2006 | 07:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E 55
Loren, that looks great.
rbc55 great eye for noticing that.
Removal process will begin prompltly this afternoon.
Old 06-09-2006 | 08:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55K
Loren...I like your wife ...

How did you solve the porblems which your rear lights, after you had some prob with paint ???

Imho painted rear a diff looks much better on any E55...I always paint all the moulding, diffuser which are in diff colors, even some rubber parts...

I would even paint on silver car all door moulding which are in black...
Old 06-09-2006 | 12:46 PM

05 E55
Originally Posted by M5 RUS
Loren...I like your wife ...

How did you solve the porblems which your rear lights, after you had some prob with paint ???

Imho painted rear a diff looks much better on any E55...I always paint all the moulding, diffuser which are in diff colors, even some rubber parts...

I would even paint on silver car all door moulding which are in black...

I took all the spray paint off and had a place put film on... its like a sticker, only thicker and tougher...

Having done all this, I wish I had just had it professionally painted like my other cars... and may still do that...

Loren
Old 06-09-2006 | 02:22 PM

05E55
Here is a tip for those who want to remove the plastic without breaking it. Use dental floss approx 18" long. Slip the floss behind the plastic. With both hands start a sawing motion from the left or rightside of the piece. The dental floss will cut through the 2 sided tape. Good luck!
Old 06-09-2006 | 04:41 PM

'10 E63 AMG
I peeled mine off in one piece in less than three minutes! No dental floss. No mutilation of fingers. Not even any residual adhesive to clean off the bumber - it all came off with the tape that stayed on the black plastic piece. Did not have to lean on it with legs and yank hard with my arms - just used my fingers slowly and deliberately and once I had it started it was easy! I don't know why Loren had so much trouble - my car is just over a year old, so I don't think that is the issue. I drank many Budweisers in my younger days, and have lots of experience peeling off labels - maybe that's my secret! Or maybe it was the ambient temp. which is in the mid-90's today - may have been a factor that softened the adhesive. Man - it looks sweet! Thanks for the great discovery, rbc55!!

Last edited by oblax4; 06-09-2006 at 04:47 PM.
Old 06-09-2006 | 05:02 PM
Almost a Member!

HI!

Just did mine. 2 minutes flat, no broken pieces. Hardest part was taking all the gunk/dirt off the car. Mine is white 2004 and it looks great. After removing it I can't think why they installed it in the first place, unless it was to protect the bumper from heat or staining from the exhaust. BTW the temp in my garage when I started doing it was 102F.(Lovely San Juan summer )
Thanks to the pioneers in the forum!!!!
Best regards
Victor

Last edited by Gavidev; 06-09-2006 at 05:06 PM.
Old 06-09-2006 | 07:45 PM

2005 e55
Originally Posted by Gavidev
HI!

Just did mine. 2 minutes flat, no broken pieces. Hardest part was taking all the gunk/dirt off the car. Mine is white 2004 and it looks great. After removing it I can't think why they installed it in the first place, unless it was to protect the bumper from heat or staining from the exhaust. BTW the temp in my garage when I started doing it was 102F.(Lovely San Juan summer )
Thanks to the pioneers in the forum!!!!
Best regards
Victor
i thought that it was put there for heat protection from exhaust tips as well.but when i noticed that the s55 doesn't have the piece,that answered that question.i still to this day see no function for this piece.one could argue it was placed there to make it look sportier. although the cl, clk ,and sl all have a similar piece they all are two door cars and the s doesn't have it but the e does .i give up.
Old 06-09-2006 | 08:41 PM

05 E55
Originally Posted by L8Apex
Here is a tip for those who want to remove the plastic without breaking it. Use dental floss approx 18" long. Slip the floss behind the plastic. With both hands start a sawing motion from the left or rightside of the piece. The dental floss will cut through the 2 sided tape. Good luck!
wow... I could have used that advice a couple days ago! And for the rest of you having an easy time with it... I'm really happy for you.

For whatever reason my two sided tape was more like epoxy and really didn't want to come off!

Loren
Old 06-24-2006 | 03:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 E55
Thanks Guys.
Took me 5 minutes to remove the black piece - in one piece - using some nylon string and gently prying from the top with my fingers.

Took 20 minutes to clean the goo off with turps.

On my silver car it looks so much better off.
The rear has more "depth". I dont think it detracts from the twin pipes.

Thanks again this is an easy to do mod that, I think, improves the look AND fully reversible if need be.