W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rattles behind instrument cluster found.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-15-2006, 12:19 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 243 Likes on 176 Posts
Rattles behind instrument cluster isolated.

Finally got the instrument cluster trim piece removed today. Mine was in very,very tightly, and unlike some others, it was a ***** to pull out. I had to design my own removal tool and made certain that I protected the dash from any damage using thin credit card type plastic pieces inserted between the dash and tool.

I've isolated the rattle(s) to the plastic touching at 2 points where the actual cluster itself is held in place and 2 others where it rests on other plastic. MB puts some felt tape in the contact points but its not enough as road vibrations will set off the rattling. (The rattling was easily duplicated by gently/moderately hitting dash on either side of the cluster binnacle with the soft portion of a closed fist, which is what helped me originally isolate the area).

If you ever have a rattles coming from the top of the dash and it sounds like it's behind the custer this could be your problem. If I can remove the cluster itself without to much trouble (appears to be held in with 4 #27 t screws) I'll reinsulate the areas of contact with more felt tape which should end the rattles, if not I'll have to let the technician handle it during my service.

Some have asked me why I just don't let service handle everything, well I really enjoy fixing the small stuff and I like learning about the car and how it was put together. Plus the techs I'm used to dealing with appreciate it when the customer can help isolate exatly where a noise or problem is coming from; I always let them handle the complex stuff and try to ask good questions so I can learn a little in the process.

Last edited by RJC; 06-15-2006 at 02:20 PM.
Old 06-15-2006, 04:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
BMW E39
Yep, I have that rattle. Thanks!
Old 06-15-2006, 06:02 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Newton, there's a specific way to remove the cluster on an S Class. Do a search under instrument cluster removal and it should be there. Also after you remove the trim piece first check and see if all the screws holding the cluster in place are quite tight, just be careful not to overtighen them as you don't want to strip them. I found sliding playing cards under the trim piece between it and the dash right in the areas where I'm working, is a good way to prevent collateral damage to the soft dash material when removing and reinstalling the trim (at least on a W211).
Old 06-16-2006, 04:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
No longer stock '06 E55, A3 3.2 Quattro, LRD4 HSE, R107 280SL
This must be the squeak that I have ... I will check it out many thanks !!!!
Old 06-16-2006, 11:42 AM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by stevebez
This must be the squeak that I have ... I will check it out many thanks !!!!
Great hope it's the culprit. If your trim piece is hard to remove let me know and I'll try to guide you through it.

OT: Have you been reading about the near stalling and lunging issues even on 06's? Had it happen to me yesterday, not a good thing at all.
Old 06-16-2006, 12:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
No longer stock '06 E55, A3 3.2 Quattro, LRD4 HSE, R107 280SL
Has not happened to me although the gearbox ecu "reset" - made one or two changes clunky and awkward - wont do that agn... I'll try the frame squeak repair this w/e if I get time ....!!
Old 06-16-2006, 09:45 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
Does everything on the face plate go back on without a hitch. Have you driven it since to verify that the rattles are gone and new ones haven't crept up?
I'm a little scared to start pulling parts off, but that looks pretty easy and non-invasive.