W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63

Suspension prob.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-16-2006 | 10:45 PM

E 63,E55 (gone) E46 ///M ,B5 stage 3 S4 ,E36 ///M , 03 EVO (800 WHP)
Suspension prob.

i have a 05 E55 and today my car said car to low and i got out and looked and y passenger side front was dropped to were my wheels were tucked and i was like wtf has anyone heard of this happening i do have the washer system of lowering,
Old 06-16-2006 | 11:02 PM

05E55
Jack the car up and check the nut on the sensor where you put the washers. If it came off you might have a big expense on your hands. Try putting it back on and hope for the best. I'm guessing you did not use Loctite???
Old 06-16-2006 | 11:57 PM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Yup Yup... sounds like the washer method had an equipment failure!! Hope your shiat didn't crash out. Heard it costs lots more than the modulators.

I am crossing my fingers for you!!

This should be a warning to all you washer guys to make sure your nuts are nice and snug!!
Old 06-17-2006 | 07:44 PM
Almost a Member!

dont worry man i just had the same problem a week ago,,, take it to your dealer theyhave to change the hall passenger side suspention... my car is a 04 and they have changed it under warenty...
Old 06-17-2006 | 07:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 E55
Take the washers out BEFORE you see the dealer.

Let us know what the problem is.
Old 06-17-2006 | 09:52 PM

thanks guys im going to check it out, i bough the car like this i didnt do the work my self but it was done by the dealer i was told i bough the car recently off of Mhaynes he was a nice guy. i am doing alot of things to it and will post pics but this is stopping my from going ahead
Old 06-17-2006 | 10:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Real Cars
Why people still use the washer method with Steve @ MBenzNL or even many MB dealers can lower it properly via STAR Diagnostics is beyond me...

Good luck my friend, hopefully you have a kind dealership!

-m
Old 06-17-2006 | 11:01 PM

2005 E55, 1959 220s Cabriolet, some other stuff too...
Originally Posted by Marcus Frost
Why people still use the washer method with Steve @ MBenzNL or even many MB dealers can lower it properly via STAR Diagnostics is beyond me...
Boy do I second that! You guys lowering your 500hp, $90k, 180mph cars with washers just cracks me up!

It is like buying a $75.000.00 Patek Philippe watch and putting an $8.00 band from a drug store on it!
Old 06-18-2006 | 04:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

12' C63 P31, 06' Supercharged Range, 08' BMW 550i
Originally Posted by abalto
Boy do I second that! You guys lowering your 500hp, $90k, 180mph cars with washers just cracks me up!

It is like buying a $75.000.00 Patek Philippe watch and putting an $8.00 band from a drug store on it!
^^^^ 3rd for me... don't understand it. That is some scary shizzzz.

I do hope that nothing is wrong and your car didn't bottom out. I've got my fingers crossed for you.
Old 06-19-2006 | 07:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 E55
The answer, my friends, it that outside the centre of the universe, these other options are much less available.

Lets see what the problem is before we jump to conclusions.
Old 06-19-2006 | 10:07 AM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
By universe he does mean Californication, right?

I'm not judging either way. This debate has gone back and forth and I assure you that the ones using the washer methods are mostly quite able to buy the lowering modules. Having said that, we all spent our own money on these cars, so whatever each wants to do to his is his own choice.

One point to make, though. In the past, there have been 2 major concerns that people have had with the use of the washer method.
First, the nuts have been known to fall off. This wouldn't be so bad, except that the ENTIRE air suspension shock must be replaced when it happens. That is extremely expensive.
Second, the exact "materials" and "processes" have not been fine tuned to assure optimal performance. i.e., how many washers, what kind, how much in the back, etc.

Now, aside from the advertised features, why the modules? Good feedback and bad. I think I need to hook up with Jay55 to decide which module I want.
Old 06-19-2006 | 11:05 AM
Administrator
MBWorld Ambassador

2020 Audi R8 V10, 2016 AMG GTS, 2018 E63S Edition 1, 2018 Porsche GTS Cab, 2012 C63 BS
Originally Posted by jangy
By universe he does mean Californication, right?

I'm not judging either way. This debate has gone back and forth and I assure you that the ones using the washer methods are mostly quite able to buy the lowering modules. Having said that, we all spent our own money on these cars, so whatever each wants to do to his is his own choice.

One point to make, though. In the past, there have been 2 major concerns that people have had with the use of the washer method.
First, the nuts have been known to fall off. This wouldn't be so bad, except that the ENTIRE air suspension shock must be replaced when it happens. That is extremely expensive.
Second, the exact "materials" and "processes" have not been fine tuned to assure optimal performance. i.e., how many washers, what kind, how much in the back, etc.

Now, aside from the advertised features, why the modules? Good feedback and bad. I think I need to hook up with Jay55 to decide which module I want.
You have seen my ride, it rolls on a Kleemann module. Worth every penny since I have seen the washer failures first hand at the MBZ centers. I guess my thought process on the washers is that age old verbage: "you get what you pay for".
Old 06-19-2006 | 09:33 PM

TO TELL YOU THE TRUTH I MAY NOT HAVE WENT WITH THAT METHOD IF I DIDNT BUY THE CAR LIKE THIS IM ABOUT TO CHANGE IT TO THE BRABUS LOWERING METHOD OF CHANGING THE LITTLE METAL ARMS, BUT HEY IM NOT AGAIST SAVING MONEY ON THINGS THAT ARE OVER PRICED ANYWAY A PULLETY AND COMP IS 4-5K FOR THIS CAR DO YOU KNOW THAT A PULLEY COSTS LIKE 200$ AND SOFTWARE THAT THEY DOWN LOAD ON THE ECU COME ON I HAVE MY S4 DONE FOR $800 WITH 4 PROGRAMS ON IT. THEY SAY OHH YOU PAY 90K FOR THE CAR SO PARTS ARE EXPENSIVE BUT THAT DOESNT ALWAYS MAKE SENSE, WHEN I HAD MY e46 M3 WHY WOULD YOU PAY 1500 FOR A MUFFLER? OR LIKE 3000 FOR HEADERS FOR OUR CARS MY RACE CAR HEADERS COST 2000 TO MAKE OVER 1200HP TO THE WHEELS AND I HAVE ABOUT 150K INTO IT. EVEN THOUGH WE DONT ALWAYS HAVE A CHOICE INTTHIS ONE PEOPLE DID SO THEY TOOK IT MAYBE SO THEY COULD ORDER OTHER PARTS. MY CAR IS ALMOST DONE AND I WILL POST PICS WHEN ITS DONE IN 2 WEEKS YOU GUYS CAN TELL ME WHAT YOU THINK. I BROUGHT IT IN TODAY SO WE WILL SEE WHAT THEY SAY TOMORROW .
Old 06-19-2006 | 11:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Marcus Frost

Good luck my friend, hopefully you have a kind dealership!

-m
Because Steve isn't able to get the car low enough for some people's tastes. Jay55 had his car done by Steve but it was still too high (too much wheel gap) and went with a module. Nothing against Steve. The computer just won't accept the ride height. Some MB dealers will not touch that kind of work.

Modules = $$$ but worth it. Like Vic said, you get what you pay for.
Old 06-19-2006 | 11:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

04 E55
Where does the lowering module mount ? I want to see if mine has one...it sites real nice right now...and there are no washers !
Old 06-19-2006 | 11:17 PM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
I still have not found a dealer that will drop mine.

As far as the modules go, are they shift on the fly? Can you adjust each corner separately? How invasive is the install? Does MBUSA care? etc
Old 06-19-2006 | 11:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55 AMG, 2006 Range Rover Sport with Kahn Design Package
Kronen's technician usually mount the lowering module near the foot rest underneath the driver's floor mat. Many lowering modules are adjustable by the switches behind the modules; such as Carlsson, Kleemann, Renntech. Installation will probably take 4 hours not including reading of the installation guide.
Old 06-19-2006 | 11:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

12' C63 P31, 06' Supercharged Range, 08' BMW 550i
Originally Posted by eurowerx
TO TELL YOU THE TRUTH I MAY NOT HAVE WENT WITH THAT METHOD IF I DIDNT BUY THE CAR LIKE THIS IM ABOUT TO CHANGE IT TO THE BRABUS LOWERING METHOD OF CHANGING THE LITTLE METAL ARMS, BUT HEY IM NOT AGAIST SAVING MONEY ON THINGS THAT ARE OVER PRICED ANYWAY A PULLETY AND COMP IS 4-5K FOR THIS CAR DO YOU KNOW THAT A PULLEY COSTS LIKE 200$ AND SOFTWARE THAT THEY DOWN LOAD ON THE ECU COME ON I HAVE MY S4 DONE FOR $800 WITH 4 PROGRAMS ON IT. THEY SAY OHH YOU PAY 90K FOR THE CAR SO PARTS ARE EXPENSIVE BUT THAT DOESNT ALWAYS MAKE SENSE, WHEN I HAD MY e46 M3 WHY WOULD YOU PAY 1500 FOR A MUFFLER? OR LIKE 3000 FOR HEADERS FOR OUR CARS MY RACE CAR HEADERS COST 2000 TO MAKE OVER 1200HP TO THE WHEELS AND I HAVE ABOUT 150K INTO IT. EVEN THOUGH WE DONT ALWAYS HAVE A CHOICE INTTHIS ONE PEOPLE DID SO THEY TOOK IT MAYBE SO THEY COULD ORDER OTHER PARTS. MY CAR IS ALMOST DONE AND I WILL POST PICS WHEN ITS DONE IN 2 WEEKS YOU GUYS CAN TELL ME WHAT YOU THINK. I BROUGHT IT IN TODAY SO WE WILL SEE WHAT THEY SAY TOMORROW .
Old 06-23-2006 | 10:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

R35 GT-R, EvoX
Originally Posted by eurowerx
i have a 05 E55 and today my car said car to low and i got out and looked and y passenger side front was dropped to were my wheels were tucked and i was like wtf has anyone heard of this happening i do have the washer system of lowering,
Hey man, its Bobby. You get the pulley's yet? My dad's SL55 does the same thing, the screen turns red and it says its too low. To fix it on his car, you just hit the raise up button and it adjusts itself in a second. It happens all the time to his car.
Old 06-23-2006 | 01:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes Benz
Originally Posted by sdsilverm3
Because Steve isn't able to get the car low enough for some people's tastes. Jay55 had his car done by Steve but it was still too high (too much wheel gap) and went with a module. Nothing against Steve. The computer just won't accept the ride height. Some MB dealers will not touch that kind of work.

Modules = $$$ but worth it. Like Vic said, you get what you pay for.

Well when i had my car lowered the first time via stardiag it was extremely low and the shop foreman said it could go even lower. People tell me you can set the car as low as you could ever want via Star.

I personally dont know how people lower these cars so much and still drive them. I know of 5 bumps in my area that when hit at the flow of traffic, make my cars front suspension compress to the bump stop. I only lowered it half an inch so these cars sitting 1-1.5 inches lower than mine must just pound teh bump stops all day long. Either that or they are driven very carefully over bumps and rarely go for a quick drive.

Plus the lower you go the bouncy the suspension gets. At the bottom of a Kleemann ELM setting the car must be a po go stick.

I almost want to yank out the dumb AirMatic system and install some quality Coilovers from JRZ or anyone who could make it happen. Brabus does this on the CLS V12 bi-turbo for a reason I think.
Old 01-21-2008 | 11:01 PM
Almost a Member!

Originally Posted by CynCarvin32
I almost want to yank out the dumb AirMatic system and install some quality Coilovers from JRZ or anyone who could make it happen. Brabus does this on the CLS V12 bi-turbo for a reason I think.

well said........