E55s at Palomar

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-01-2006, 08:49 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AMGs
Originally Posted by jangy
Dang Jeff.... Well, maybe we can hook up at one of the Fusion nights so i can get a good gander of all your awesome mods. Take care and party it up tonight.
Most definitely... Hit me up on my cell when you head out there and I will join you.
Old 07-02-2006, 08:55 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
Looks like it will just be me and Cyn. Everybody else is snoozing away.

So, I guess we'll say 8 am at the chevron. Any stragglers are welcome to show up.
Old 07-02-2006, 10:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

How did it go?
Old 07-02-2006, 10:51 PM
Banned

AMGs
Originally Posted by sdsilverm3
How did it go?
Yah... How was it?
Old 07-03-2006, 12:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Mercedes Benz
Ya Jangy how was it?

Old 07-03-2006, 12:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by CynCarvin32
Ya Jangy how was it?

Old 07-03-2006, 12:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
I take it no one showed?
Old 07-03-2006, 12:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Mercedes Benz
No no we were there but I think Jangy needs to explain this one

Likely best from his keyboard.

My car was doing really well and I love having all the negative camber up front. Great tire wear, car felt nimble (for a 4k lb bus) and had a good day.

My intercooler pump failed so I was done early but it randomly started working once again for one last trip up the hill.

Im leaving out a bit but I know Jangy can fill the rest in soon.
Old 07-03-2006, 01:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
Oh man this doesnt sound good at all.
Old 07-03-2006, 06:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Uh oh.... I hope it wasn't serious. My rofl emoticon was referring to those who overslept/slept in.
Old 07-03-2006, 10:23 AM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Hehehe!!

Well, it was some day. Short version, I wrecked the E55. Nobody was hurt (Cyn and I were in the car at the time).

Longer version:
We met up at NCF (mall) and headed up to Palomar. Cyn came in his E55, looking nice and lowered (you should post pics) and brought a couple of friends. One rode with him and one brought a little Lotus. We stopped at the bottom of the South Grade and decided to take a "safe" pass, since there were none of the usual slew of Motorcycles to tell if the road is clear. Right before we take off an R1 shows up. We start off and he jumps right in front, so as not to be held up by these slow cars. Right then, I was like a Bass to a worm........GOOOONEEEE zoooom all the way up. Lost the E55 / Lotus after a few turns (assumed they were actually going to do the "safe" pass). Fought with the R1 to the top. He was a very good rider as he gave me one of the best fights I have ever gotten on that mountain. His transitions were so smooth and he was not at all scared of pinning it in its power band and leaning it till the pegs scrapped. Either way, I got to mothers on his ***. We did our usual what up what ups. He gave the ususal "what the hell is that and how does it handle so well?". Next thing I know some cat in a solid top Lotus wants to run. So, we head down the East grade (The fast side). I got a little hung up at the start, so the lotus was gone. I had one of Cyn's buddys in the car so we were talking a bit and there was a little traffic on the way down, so we had to wait at times. We finally caught the Lotus by the bottom and he wanted to go on over to the South Grade and climb that, so we did. I'm not going to get into the details until the flames are here and gone, 'cause i just don't care to prove what my car can do, but I smoked him up. I could have passed him VERY easily if it were not a single lane road. By this time I was tired. I had done work on the car the night before and the butt was waaaay up in the air. The car felt really sloppy, but had great front traction. The rear left was rubbing all day (the right never did?). Cyn wanted a ride in the E, to check out the front end with the fattys and so we took off down the South Grade and BBBBAAAAAAMMMM, I pulled a duffer.

We were heading downhill and into a sweeping left. All the turns are fairly sharp, so by sweeper I just mean not hair pin. Anyhow, I was trying to exagerate an odd feeling I was having (I think it was the brakes) while under hard braking and turn-in. I was also hanging out a little to the edge of the road (to my right) because there was lots of cross traffic and i wasn't trying to push it. Anyhow, I turned in too late. The car turned and then started to push. i lifted just a hair and the front started to catch. I made no harsh maneuvers (maybe good maybe not), because I was just hoping to stay out of the dirt and thought that it would catch. It didn't. Both right wheel went into that sand and that was it. The car felt like it lifted up and slide right up the side of the mountain maybe 3 feet or so. Then the car caught and pulled left hard. I countered and stopped!! Whew. There was no dramatic smash, so I was not scared for myself and Cyn. But, I was pretty sure I trashed the right side. I was already planning on a replacement, when we got out to see what the toll was. Everything looked fine for the time and so I decided to drive it on home. The Airdam was scratched and the rims had leaves and rocks shoved in the beads, but no other visible damage. AMAZING!!
I came home and called my service manager who was nice enough to have the bay openned for me. We took all the tires off to get a better look. I was SOOO happy not even be able to find any scratches on the underside.
Final estimate (we get real numbers today):
Rims: front one is a little scratched. Tires need to be remounted to get the leaves out. I will replace it instead ($500).
Air Dam: Even though none of the scratched made it through the primer, it needs a paint job ($500). The light was fine, just had the washer re-positioned".
They went over the Airmatic components and misc arms to see if anything had been bent. Found nothing, but said that it is good news / bad news? Good news is that there is no visible damage. In fact, he asked me twice just how bad the hit was, since there is no "crush" sign. The bad news is that there could be hidden damage that I just don't see yet. As a precaution he suggested letting him replace a seal on the Airmatic (all 4 corners), some bushings and a couple of metal pieces. He said it would ALL run about $500, but he'll call. I said to do it, since I do trust him. They were not happy with my ride height (hehe) and will go ahead and take it back to stock. He also offerred to Star drop it for free, if I can get simple tips for him. He says that you can't just go in and say drop one inch, and he hasn't played with that part enough to be sure how to calibrate me.

Anyhow, now that I let the cat out, lets hear some versions by people that may not be as attached as myself.
Old 07-03-2006, 10:59 AM

///E63V10 ///F80CS ///Can-Am X3 XRS
Glad you guys are safe. I partied late so 8 O'clock was way too early.
Old 07-03-2006, 11:06 AM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
I'm pretty glad myself. The reality doesn't setin for a few hours. Its more like a video game at first. Dunno if any car would have been trashed or not, but I am proud of the BENZ for sure.
Old 07-03-2006, 11:25 AM
Banned

AMGs
I'm pretty glad myself. The reality doesn't setin for a few hours. Its more like a video game at first. Dunno if any car would have been trashed or not, but I am proud of the BENZ for sure.
Jangy,

Glad you guys are SAFE too! Everything else is replaceable! Good thing you went to the AMG challenge heh?

I was in no condition to drive like that yesterday!!!
Old 07-03-2006, 12:44 PM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Oh yeah, the challenge taught me well. No question my times are WAY hotter now. The tires look soo cool with all the scuff, and the side walls were nice and clean. I wouldn't mind a hint more neg camber up front, but I am more after getting some balance to the car than to make the rear happy.

Another thing I learned from the Challenge and yesterday is that I need to go ahead and have my shoulder carved up. It just loses strength WAAAY too fast and I get sloppy quick. Its a good thing i raced the R1 and the Lotus BEFORE I wore out.

Still amazed at how clean the car is. UNBELIEVABLE. I wish i could say it is due to Benz or my "skills", but it is simple luck. Pure and simple. The AMG gods wanted me to get some humility, but didn't want me out of the club just yet!!
Old 07-03-2006, 01:24 PM
Banned

AMGs
Oh yeah, the challenge taught me well. No question my times are WAY hotter now. The tires look soo cool with all the scuff, and the side walls were nice and clean. I wouldn't mind a hint more neg camber up front, but I am more after getting some balance to the car than to make the rear happy.

Another thing I learned from the Challenge and yesterday is that I need to go ahead and have my shoulder carved up. It just loses strength WAAAY too fast and I get sloppy quick. Its a good thing i raced the R1 and the Lotus BEFORE I wore out.

Still amazed at how clean the car is. UNBELIEVABLE. I wish i could say it is due to Benz or my "skills", but it is simple luck. Pure and simple. The AMG gods wanted me to get some humility, but didn't want me out of the club just yet!!
How do I get to Palomar? I am thinking about shooting up there after 2pm to test out my car...
Old 07-03-2006, 02:16 PM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
15N to Via Rancho Parkway. Take a right. Follow Bear Valley and the signs for Palomar Mountain. Very easy and great day for it.
I'd meet you up there if I didn't have my Mom visiting.
Old 07-03-2006, 02:45 PM
Banned

AMGs
15N to Via Rancho Parkway. Take a right. Follow Bear Valley and the signs for Palomar Mountain. Very easy and great day for it.
I'd meet you up there if I didn't have my Mom visiting.
Thanks bro... I am at the office trying to catch up on work but I will scoot outta here before 2 for a quick run! I spent all day w/family yesterday already so it's time to PLAY!
Old 07-03-2006, 03:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Glad to hear nothing serious happened.
Old 07-03-2006, 06:46 PM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
I'm pretty glad myself. Now that it has sunk in and I have had a good chance to strip it down, I see just how lucky we were. I'm also pretty lucky to not have to get my 3rd E55 of the year.
Old 07-03-2006, 06:47 PM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Originally Posted by 2K6E55
Thanks bro... I am at the office trying to catch up on work but I will scoot outta here before 2 for a quick run! I spent all day w/family yesterday already so it's time to PLAY!
Let me know how you like it. Give me a few weeks and I'd love to head back up.