Sponsored by:

Class Action Suit

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-29-2006, 07:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL 65 AMG and E63s AMG
Class Action Suit

This a question for the lawyers in the peanut gallery.

A few years ago Ford advertised a HP and Torque rating for the Cobra and when dynoed the cars didn't deliver. As I recall Ford revised the heads and several other things to allow the 4.6 blown motor to perform as advertised. This kept the FCC from persuing truth in advertising suits and a class action suit from owners.

As it looks now, MB has reduced the torque and HP of the E55. If the dyno numbers don't live up to the advertised values, what would stop a similar situation from occurring in our case.

Would it be worth the trouble and expense of a class action suit on behalf of disgruntled E55 owners?
Old 06-29-2006, 07:57 PM

Merce-rati
seriously get a life and stop *****ing about things like this. people like you are messing it up for the rest of us
Old 06-29-2006, 07:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
STS,FGT,12C,P85D,M4
where have you see a revised HP and TQ figure for the E55? most who dyno their E55 notice that cars are MORE powerful than MB states....

Originally Posted by Vetluver
This a question for the lawyers in the peanut gallery.

A few years ago Ford advertised a HP and Torque rating for the Cobra and when dynoed the cars didn't deliver. As I recall Ford revised the heads and several other things to allow the 4.6 blown motor to perform as advertised. This kept the FCC from persuing truth in advertising suits and a class action suit from owners.

As it looks now, MB has reduced the torque and HP of the E55. If the dyno numbers don't live up to the advertised values, what would stop a similar situation from occurring in our case.

Would it be worth the trouble and expense of a class action suit on behalf of disgruntled E55 owners?
Old 06-29-2006, 08:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

4 wheels
The new SAE rating system has dropped the hp and torque ratings for nearly all cars. Just look at the Acura TL, RL and other cars.
Old 06-29-2006, 08:10 PM

2009 C63 Black on Black
Thumbs down What's going on here with the published numbers?

Vetluver: Do you have confirmation that MB has revised downward the E55 HP and Torque numbers? If they revise down from the 469HP and 516 Torque numbers then there is something here that we need to look at closely! My position is that if they sold us 469 & 516 as the numbers and are now revising these down then something is awry here. Maybe they are trying to make the E63 look better from a marketing standpoint. Post any info you have on a downward revision. I have an E63 on order & spec'd it out 2 months ago to replace my E55 that comes off lease in 60 days. I do not feel good about this!! (could this be tied to the ECU problems the Modified ECU guys are seeing?)
Old 06-29-2006, 08:38 PM

'10 E63 AMG
Interesting and worth looking into, if there is any way to substantiate what you are suggesting. Will follow this thread closely.
Old 06-29-2006, 08:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 378 Likes on 244 Posts
'22 Alpina B7,'21 G63 Renntech obviously (wife), Wrangler(kids)
If anything,MB was under reporting the real hp of the E55.
You can dyno all you want,you will not find a lower hp then the official one...
Another "stupid" and pointless lawsuit is what I hate about this Country,it just keeps automakers out of offering certain cars or options in our Market because of this idiotic and opportunistic threat of lawsuits.

Last edited by absent; 06-29-2006 at 08:54 PM.
Old 06-29-2006, 08:56 PM

SL 65 AMG and E63s AMG
I'm not talking about revised numbers published by MB. I'm talking about the recall campaign that may have dropped the performance of the 03-06 E55.

I think that this change in software, torque management programming may have affected not only the modded cars but also the stock vehicles.

The kick of my E55 is definitely less since the recall reflash.
Old 06-29-2006, 10:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

STS,FGT,12C,P85D,M4
put your car on the dyno and we'll see if it's making below the norm after the recall....

Originally Posted by Vetluver
I'm not talking about revised numbers published by MB. I'm talking about the recall campaign that may have dropped the performance of the 03-06 E55.

I think that this change in software, torque management programming may have affected not only the modded cars but also the stock vehicles.

The kick of my E55 is definitely less since the recall reflash.
Old 06-29-2006, 11:20 PM

2009 C63 Black on Black
Exclamation absent, you have no background on this!

Absent, since you do not own an E55 Kompressor your comments here are meaningless. You have no frame of reference on this latest recall of which the pattern seems to be consistent, Less feel of power. You should refrain from commenting on something that you know nothing about. There have been many recalls on our E55 Kompressor and the pattern seems to be consistent here. Go ahead and hate lawyers and lawsuits all you want but there seems to be a basis here in that consistently many have felt the power dropoff after the recall. It may be another "programming error" on the ECU update but the result is consistent amongst us!
Old 06-30-2006, 12:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by deaguero
Absent, since you do not own an E55 Kompressor your comments here are meaningless. You have no frame of reference on this latest recall of which the pattern seems to be consistent, Less feel of power. You should refrain from commenting on something that you know nothing about. There have been many recalls on our E55 Kompressor and the pattern seems to be consistent here. Go ahead and hate lawyers and lawsuits all you want but there seems to be a basis here in that consistently many have felt the power dropoff after the recall. It may be another "programming error" on the ECU update but the result is consistent amongst us!
Well,you are wrong in your assumptions,since I still have my '05 G55 K2,had the recall performed last week at Knauz(they took care of redoing the ECU by Kleemann)and I'm still very happy with the car's performance.
I do not have a habit of listing every car owned, now or previously or what I have on order,just the daily driver at the moment.
Old 06-30-2006, 02:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Mercedes Benz
while we all would like to thing our butt dyno's are very accurate, this is all hot air until someone has 2 dyno plots showing the reduction in power.

I have not driven the car much since the recall was done but I never noticed a difference. Maybe it is slower but I always think my car is a weak sauce car. Owning a car for a few years means you have adjusted to the power so maybe we all are just over reacting.

But I do agree about bogus lawsuites. Everyone is so quick to call a lawyer yet no one has even gone to a dyno to get real proof.

Seems like we need to get our ducks in a row people.

Bet the cars dyno the exact same figures. Maybe tq management has been changed to make the car smoother but I doubt they made them weaker.
Old 06-30-2006, 03:09 AM

'10 MB E63, '08 ML550 ('05 E55, '05 SL55, '08 E63 GONE)
That 469HP is very accurate...

Dyno results in the real world (higher or lower) are hardly a good measure of real engine output. These machines are rarely calibrated and tests are not standardized. Great for seeing results of mods, but not for any real number results.

~ Ian
Old 06-30-2006, 04:35 AM

2006 cls55 amg 2008 GL550 2011 audi R8 V10
Absent,
do you live off of green bay Road?
Last year I got married at the Harrison house and saw a killer DB9 driving down that road!
-Moldy
Old 06-30-2006, 06:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
No longer stock '06 E55, A3 3.2 Quattro, LRD4 HSE, R107 280SL
We need a stock E55 dyno before and after. before you can entertain any lawsuits...

The other issue is - which no one has mentioned - perhaps the changes allow our cars to deliver more consistent power - albeit maybe more smooth, with less S/C shut down. Dunno ? But Dyno will reveal all, and maybe a trip to the track.

Again - no recall advice received for my 06 UK spec.
Old 06-30-2006, 09:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by moldowan
Absent,
do you live off of green bay Road?
Last year I got married at the Harrison house and saw a killer DB9 driving down that road!
-Moldy
Lots of AMs in this area,I live on Ridge Rd...
Old 06-30-2006, 10:18 AM

2003 E55 K1
Thumbs down Forget Dyno

If you think showing MB before and after dyno's will convince them there is a problem, you can forget about it. I went through all this two months ago. I have a 2003 E55 which suffered a major loss of power after recall. MB said there was no problem. I offered to do a dyno test and compare results with stock numbers for E55 and MB said dyno results are too variable and ,therefore, are meaningless. Besides, loss of power people are reporting is so obvious that it is ridiculous to argue we need to show dyno results to prove we are suffering from a loss of power.
Old 06-30-2006, 11:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
No longer stock '06 E55, A3 3.2 Quattro, LRD4 HSE, R107 280SL
Originally Posted by Coalman
If you think showing MB before and after dyno's will convince them there is a problem, you can forget about it. I went through all this two months ago. I have a 2003 E55 which suffered a major loss of power after recall. MB said there was no problem. I offered to do a dyno test and compare results with stock numbers for E55 and MB said dyno results are too variable and ,therefore, are meaningless.
I would suggest to get them to prove the car is performing to spec - not the other way round... If it is to spec tell them you will cover costs for the dyno - if not they cover the dyno costs and sort out the car. For them to say a dyno is meaningless is just plain cr*p.
Old 06-30-2006, 12:57 PM

2003 E55 K1
Like I said, MB WILL NOT ACCEPT DYNO RESULTS TO PROVE CAR IS NOT PERFORMING TO SPEC.!!! We are only talking about (at least in my case), a modest but noticeable loss in power. If MB will not accept dyno results because they feel it's too variable, how are we supposed to convince them that the loss in power before and after recall is due to their new software?

MB knows what changes they have made and that it is the reason for the loss in power. We need to convince them that we are not going to accept this loss and "go quietly in the night."
Old 06-30-2006, 01:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

4 wheels
on this whole ECU flash upgrade issue. Why can't someone like Kleemann or Renntech or even Brabus just reprogram the ECU's back to the way they were? Can they only edit certain parts of the ECU to tune the engine or what?

All I know is that my E55 is running a bit sluggish lately but I have been driving a K4 powered CLS55 for the better part of a few weeks now. My wife claims the car runs fine and the dealer had performed the ECU upgrade.
Old 06-30-2006, 02:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Mercedes Benz
Originally Posted by Coalman
Like I said, MB WILL NOT ACCEPT DYNO RESULTS TO PROVE CAR IS NOT PERFORMING TO SPEC.!!! We are only talking about (at least in my case), a modest but noticeable loss in power. If MB will not accept dyno results because they feel it's too variable, how are we supposed to convince them that the loss in power before and after recall is due to their new software?

MB knows what changes they have made and that it is the reason for the loss in power. We need to convince them that we are not going to accept this loss and "go quietly in the night."
Guys here is another point we always seem to forget. Law states that they have a 10-15% variance allowed for the car to still be in spec. Something tells me our cars are all making at least 450 hp at the crank so they have no reason to do anything for us at all.

I had the recall done and I honestly dont see any difference. I will drive the car and see this weekend but I think its fine. My SL55 has not been touched so ill drive them back to back. THe E normally is a hair quicker so i could do another freeway run test with a friend. Bet he wont mind getting that phone call... hey can u run againt my E in my SL?
Old 06-30-2006, 05:55 PM

SL 65 AMG and E63s AMG
I asked this question as a supposition. I am not really considering a suit but was curious what it would take to do what the Stang guys did.

After driving all day long I know there is so sort of torque control software which is limiting peak torque.

Having driven the same route for 2 years I know what mph I can reach in certain distances and I noted 5 to 20 mph loss at virtually ever point along the way. This may not sound like much but it translates to a ton seat of the pants torque. Even more disconcerting is that my gas mileage has dropped from 15.5 mpg in town to less than 14. I have talked to my service advisor and "she's checking into it". I'm hoping that something else is wrong rather than just the reflash. I'll keep you posted.
Old 06-30-2006, 06:08 PM

'08 S65, '04 Range Rover(The House), '06 Lexus GS 300(Wifey's), '02 Sea Ray 360 Sundancer
You know it's funny you mention mileage. My E has been getting some crappy mileage recently, and I have had the flash done. I am up for my 20K service soon, so I will definitely inquire as to this!
Old 06-30-2006, 06:08 PM

2005 E55, 2010 ML350
Well, strangely enough I took my car in for the recall service but their computer was on the fritz. So they did all the mechanical work and the service D, but are waiting on their computer to be returned from NJ.

So, with that said, I'm almost cringing whether to get the flash updates or not. But I do have the ability to get the "before" and "after" measurements you guys are asking about.

I hate lawyers and class action suits and all the tort abuse that is out there. But if they truly are lowering my power on my car I'll be pissed.

Anyone got any suggestions of where I could get the car dyno'ed? I live in the bay area near walnut creek. I work down in san jose, so anywhere along that route would be more than convenient.

Cheers,
Gareth
Old 06-30-2006, 06:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
My car runs the same before and after,track times to prove it.Im going again tonight to have some fun but also to check my times one more time.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Class Action Suit