Sponsored by:

Is the sky falling???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-01-2006, 03:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
04 CL600
Is the sky falling???

Man, I have been here for about 9 months and this last few weeks it seems that all anyone has is problems. This car is a dog, that car is becoming a dog, won't be able to mod the new 63, revised HP numbers, a Kleemann mishap, and ECU problems. It still is a great car isn't it? Right now I am not real excited to check out the new threads each day on my computer. What gives?
Old 07-01-2006, 04:11 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2005 E55
You are hearing a manifestation of the old proverb that Misery Loves Company. My car is just fine, as well as about 10,000 others. The problems are few and a solution will be found. Until then, the people who have a great deal of money invested and have performance disappointments will be quite vocal.
Old 07-01-2006, 05:15 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
Nothing is up. We are in a time of transition and people hate change. The E55 crew (myself included) will sit here and moan about the 63, until we either convert one by one or a new breed comes in. That is how it is. Same thing happenned on the 4X4 forums as the new generation of SUVs came out. Everyone started moaning about the lost solid axles, etc. Now, they are moving on and crying about something new.
The car is awesome if YOU love it. If not, it sucks. That simple.
Old 07-01-2006, 06:32 PM
Out Of Control!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The sky is not falling. The earth is moving up. lol Don't worry about the problems. I don't think there's any car mfg out there that doesn't have problems. You just have to find a fix for it. What? You think the E63 will be perfect? Just look at how perfect the new E60 M5 is. lol
Old 07-01-2006, 06:39 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
I believe they call that rain.

Attempt to slide.
Old 07-01-2006, 07:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 378 Likes on 244 Posts
'22 Alpina B7,'21 G63 Renntech obviously (wife), Wrangler(kids)
Cool

Recall done,still like the G.....
Old 07-01-2006, 07:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
Although I must admit I have been caught up in the "crying"...honestly no problems RIGHT NOW with the car.

I am in TERROR though of getting the latest service recall done though.

I am gonna party up for another 5K, then just cross my fingers and hope for the best when the grim reaper service light comes a calling.
Old 07-01-2006, 08:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
300ce
Originally Posted by absent
Recall done,still like the G.....

...........you have a pm.

............folks, I don't think the sky is falling, but if you have a modded AMGV8K and you dyno your car, you will see there is a problem. The problem is that at higher boost your A/F ratio becoms pig rich as the engine pulls timming. My ECU has been with Cory back and forth for weeks and is still there. This is not a manufactured problem. Dyno your car and you will see it. After the recall, I actually thought my car was faster, yes faster. This is because the car is running lean. If you are like other G55 owners, you have probably never dynoed your car because you need a 4 wheel dyno..........as a result of this, you are not in a position to know what is going on. Your car drives fine ad mine did after the recall until I dynoed it. Ieven took it to the track and ran a 13.1 @ 103.99mph in 95 degree whether with a 2.05 60ft time. On repeated runs, the car went into limp mode. The Codes read engine load exceeded. My fastest run before the recall was 12.98 @104mph in 60 degree whether and a 1.89 60ft time. You can see that had I relied on just my first run I would have concluded that my car was fine since my mph was the same and my 1/4 mile tme would have even beaten my first record betteif I had the same 60ft time as I did with the 12.98 run. But with addtional runs and a subsequent dyno, I found out that the car was quite sick.
If all you do is use your car as a daily driver and don't dyno or track your car, you won't understand what all the fuss is about.

.........Regarding the E63, I think it will turn out to be a great car especially since intial reports show that the handing is improved and it comes stock with an LSD. I don't think anyone is complaining about the E63 except to say that t will be diffcut to mod it.....which s true.

........My Ecu is sitting in Colorado with Cory and I have not driven my car for 3weeks. This is not a manufactured problem. Take your car to the dyno and you will see.

Ted
Old 07-01-2006, 08:22 PM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Originally Posted by Ted Baldwin
...........you have a pm.

............folks, I don't think the sky is falling, but if you have a modded AMGV8K and you dyno your car, you will see there is a problem. The problem is that at higher boost your A/F ratio becoms pig rich as the engine pulls timming. My ECU has been with Cory back and forth for weeks and is still there. This is not a manufactured problem. Dyno your car and you will see it. After the recall, I actually thought my car was faster, yes faster. This is because the car is running lean. If you are like other G55 owners, you have probably never dynoed your car because you need a 4 wheel dyno..........as a result of this, you are not in a position to know what is going on. Your car drives fine ad mine did after the recall until I dynoed it. Ieven took it to the track and ran a 13.1 @ 103.99mph in 95 degree whether with a 2.05 60ft time. On repeated runs, the car went into limp mode. The Codes read engine load exceeded. My fastest run before the recall was 12.98 @104mph in 60 degree whether and a 1.89 60ft time. You can see that had I relied on just my first run I would have concluded that my car was fine since my mph was the same and my 1/4 mile tme would have even beaten my first record betteif I had the same 60ft time as I did with the 12.98 run. But with addtional runs and a subsequent dyno, I found out that the car was quite sick.
If all you do is use your car as a daily driver and don't dyno or track your car, you won't understand what all the fuss is about.

.........Regarding the E63, I think it will turn out to be a great car especially since intial reports show that the handing is improved and it comes stock with an LSD. I don't think anyone is complaining about the E63 except to say that t will be diffcut to mod it.....which s true.

........My Ecu is sitting in Colorado with Cory and I have not driven my car for 3weeks. This is not a manufactured problem. Take your car to the dyno and you will see.

Why will the E63 handle better? Does the heavier engine up front help? Make sure you aren't comparing an '03 E55 to an '07 E63.
Stock with an LSD? Only if stock means adding a $10000 option, coded 030.
What do you mean by it not beng a manufactured problem? I don't get that. Do you mean it is not a hardware issue? thx
Old 07-01-2006, 08:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

300ce
Originally Posted by jangy
Why will the E63 handle better? Does the heavier engine up front help? Make sure you aren't comparing an '03 E55 to an '07 E63.
What do you mean by it not beng a manufactured problem? I don't get that. Do you mean it is not a hardware issue? thx
.............the W211 E55 rates behind the M5 in handling, at least according to the car magazines. The few magazines that have compared the E63 with the M5 all show the E63 as a better handling car, which is quite a statement since these magazines tend to favor BMW.

...........what mean is that the folks complaining about their cars are not just making it up. That indeed there is a problem.

Ted
Old 07-01-2006, 08:43 PM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
.............the W211 E55 rates behind the M5 in handling, at least according to the car magazines. The few magazines that have compared the E63 with the M5 all show the E63 as a better handling car, which is quite a statement since these magazines tend to favor BMW.

...........what mean is that the folks complaining about their cars are not just making it up. That indeed there is a problem.

Ted
OK ted, I get it. You were saying that the consumers were not making up (manufacturing) the problem. Got it, sorry.

As for the mags. That is it? I grant that the M5 is a better track car than the E55. Does it handle better? I don't know. On paper, you could argue both sides. BMWs traditionally outhandle their MB rivals. However, that V10 can't be too light, either. Now, the mag gods like the E63 so it is better?
Old 07-01-2006, 11:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E55
I'm with Jakpro on this one. I am lovin every stab at the throttle until that light comes on then it's off to the stealer to get bent over.
Old 07-01-2006, 11:57 PM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
My time for service has come, too and I am avoiding it like the ugly girl I tagged in high school. I'm hearing more reasurring news from you guys about this, but i really think i may try to get a dyno run before and after. Anyone know of a good dyno shop in SD / OC? It will give a good chance to get a baseline for any future mods.
Old 07-01-2006, 11:58 PM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Hey torquey55, I've seen pics of your ride, but you got any more? I love that wheel set. i may go that route and maybe even get em painted. The rears look especially on.
Old 07-02-2006, 12:18 AM

2002 ML55, 2006 C6 Z06
E63 is heavier up front than E55?

Were did you get this information? The loss of the SC and associated hardware would imply a weight reduction. The larger Internal Displacement does not always mean a heavier engine.

Has anyone charted before and after dyno charts with and without ECU reflash?

Last edited by RossN; 07-02-2006 at 12:23 AM.
Old 07-02-2006, 12:31 AM

05 E55, R33 GTR, R33 GTS-t
Originally Posted by RossN

Were did you get this information? The loss of the SC and associated hardware would imply a weight reduction.
thats what i would think. The 63 is only going to be a few pounds heavier (less than 50lbs isnt it?), where is this extra weight gained? some extra equipment? The brakes as i understand will be lighter, so wheres the extra weight coming from?
Old 07-02-2006, 12:59 AM

2004 E55
I'm still new here, but I don't understand what all the fuss about the ECU upgrade is about. I went to my dealer for service (after I got the recall notice) and simply requested that they didn't flash the ECU and they kindly obliged. They said they had heard similar complaints about power loss and that they would contact me when the issue was resolved before they made any changes. Sounds fair, right?
Old 07-02-2006, 01:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

300ce
Originally Posted by Desipate
I'm still new here, but I don't understand what all the fuss about the ECU upgrade is about. I went to my dealer for service (after I got the recall notice) and simply requested that they didn't flash the ECU and they kindly obliged. They said they had heard similar complaints about power loss and that they would contact me when the issue was resolved before they made any changes. Sounds fair, right?
...........you are exactly right. Those those that have not had the recall work done do not have to have their ECU messed with. They can simply refuse. Your post however further illustrates the point that this ECU dealer reflash is very fish, since by your own dealers admission, it is not neccessary or even salient to the replacemet of the secndary air injection pump.

Ted
Old 07-02-2006, 01:48 AM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Originally Posted by RossN

Were did you get this information? The loss of the SC and associated hardware would imply a weight reduction. The larger Internal Displacement does not always mean a heavier engine.

Has anyone charted before and after dyno charts with and without ECU reflash?
Larger displacement, indeed means more weight, especially within the moving parts. Do not forget that your biggest enemy is momentum. Speeding up and slowing down lighter piston rods is MUCH more efficient and light than big ones. That said, larger diplacement usually means more power, but also more weight. You can like it or not.

The E55 and SC setup is lighter than the 7G tranny by itself. Go away, you troll. Stop arguing gainst convention.
Old 07-02-2006, 01:51 AM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
...........you are exactly right. Those those that have not had the recall work done do not have to have their ECU messed with. They can simply refuse. Your post however further illustrates the point that this ECU dealer reflash is very fish, since by your own dealers admission, it is not neccessary or even salient to the replacemet of the secndary air injection pump.

Ted
Not all bundled fixes are related. Sometimes MB may just want to go ahead and unload some dirty laundry.
Old 07-02-2006, 02:12 AM

2002 ML55, 2006 C6 Z06
Larger displacement, indeed means more weight, especially within the moving parts. Do not forget that your biggest enemy is momentum. Speeding up and slowing down lighter piston rods is MUCH more efficient and light than big ones. That said, larger diplacement usually means more power, but also more weight. You can like it or not.

The E55 and SC setup is lighter than the 7G tranny by itself. Go away, you troll. Stop arguing gainst convention.

Hey Jangy, or whatever the F*&k your name is, brush up on your engineering before you make stupid blanket statements about "convention". If you think you know it all then come to the table with facts. The New 63 engine is 199kg and the chassis itself has substantial suspension upgrades. The new 07 MY W211 has over 2000 changes. The frickin current car has been out for 4 years, do you with all your intelligence, think the DC is not going to improve the handling? Get a clue knuckle head.

You don't like my comments, then disprove them. Do yourself, me and the rest of the Internet Browsing world a favor and don't offer childlike troll accusing comments without fact.

Do you even own a car let alone an AMG?

(Geesh, personal attachs at 1am on a Saturday night, go get a life)
Old 07-02-2006, 08:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

300ce
Not all bundled fixes are related. Sometimes MB may just want to go ahead and unload some dirty laundry.
.........I don't think I understand what you mean. What recall bundled or unbundled on the AMG V8K's requies the ECU to be reflashed and load limits placed and location of secondary CATS hidden?

Ted
Old 07-02-2006, 08:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

300ce
OK ted, I get it. You were saying that the consumers were not making up (manufacturing) the problem. Got it, sorry.

As for the mags. That is it? I grant that the M5 is a better track car than the E55. Does it handle better? I don't know. On paper, you could argue both sides. BMWs traditionally outhandle their MB rivals. However, that V10 can't be too light, either. Now, the mag gods like the E63 so it is better?
.............I don't even care about the E63 one way or the other. My point is that the magazine's which are generally biased in favor BMW think that the E63 out handles the M5. whether this turns out to be true is anyone's guess. I think it is worth noting because prior to this I had never read a magazine comparing AMG to an M car that gave the handling edge to the AMG.

Ted
Old 07-03-2006, 09:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
No longer stock '06 E55, A3 3.2 Quattro, LRD4 HSE, R107 280SL
I read that the 6.2L motor was lighter than the 55K. The additional vehicle weight comes from added sound insulation and other "changes". Sorry dont remember where I read this....

The suspension is substantially revised, new damping setting, sway bar as well as semi-active control. Different stock brakes which again are lighter too... also the steering is has been made more responsive... Most reports say car is stiffer but still remains comfortable ...

Can't see how these changes would do any harm to the handling?

Anyhow back to the topic ...

All the guys complaining of loss of power after this ECU recall have had mods done. NO ONE so far has complained of a stock unit being down on power. So sounds like MB have put in some code to pull timing if load exceeds X, or boost exceeds Y etc ... simple code - but will be hellish difficult to find.

Changes in the Code may also be in the tranny software to limit torque ...

Who knows until Kleemann & Co find the code that has been added / changed.

Another element is that it seems AMG are moving more to provide add on detailing & performance options (i.e. manufaktur / performance packages) - which were more the realm of Kleemann, Brabus etc ... so maybe thats why they are making their lives more difficult now.

Last edited by stevebez; 07-03-2006 at 09:16 AM.
Old 07-03-2006, 09:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

300ce
Originally Posted by stevebez
I read that the 6.2L motor was lighter than the 55K. The additional vehicle weight comes from added sound insulation and other "changes". Sorry dont remember where I read this....

The suspension is substantially revised, new damping setting, sway bar as well as semi-active control. Different stock brakes which again are lighter too... also the steering is has been made more responsive... Most reports say car is stiffer but still remains comfortable ...

Can't see how these changes would do any harm to the handling?

Anyhow back to the topic ...

All the guys complaining of loss of power after this ECU recall have had mods done. NO ONE so far has complained of a stock unit being down on power. So sounds like MB have put in some code to pull timing if load exceeds X, or boost exceeds Y etc ... simple code - but will be hellish difficult to find.

Changes in the Code may also be in the tranny software to limit torque ...

Who knows until Kleemann & Co find the code that has been added / changed.

Another element is that it seems AMG are moving more to provide add on detailing & performance options (i.e. manufaktur / performance packages) - which were more the realm of Kleemann, Brabus etc ... so maybe thats why they are making their lives more difficult now.
...............you summary of the situation is quite correct, except Kleemann are unable to find and correct the code. They doubt they will be able to. My conversation with Cory at Kleemann is that Kleemann Denmark is working on a totally separate module that will hopefully undo what the ECu is doing to the coded limits. All very speculative. The point is there is ABSOLUTELY NO ADVANTAGE in getting your ECU reflashed during the recall work regardless of whether or not you have a modded car or a stock car or plan to mod in the future. I see people posting messages on the forum claiming to be confused whether or not to get their ECU reflashed by the dealer during the recall. I am sorry to be so blunt.......that is just plan STUPID!!!!

Ted

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Is the sky falling???