Sponsored by:

Boost...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-07-2006, 03:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLS 55 AMG, 2002 Chevy Avalanche (w/ NOS) :D
Boost...

I was curious, How many pounds of boost is the stock supercharger running.. Stock Engine no mods??? Thanks
Old 07-07-2006, 05:07 PM

Should be in the 11-12 pound range.
Old 07-14-2006, 09:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
04 E55
Sorry to bring back a (sorta') dead topic, BUT:

I'm making about 11psi right now with a Renntech pulley, but I've also got headers on the car. Someone told me that was "normal" (pressure increase from the pulley is offset by the more efficient headers). Is that right or are pulley/header folks seeing more boost than that??
Old 07-15-2006, 03:18 AM

Family Sedan w/5.5 K
Originally Posted by GTA23109a
Sorry to bring back a (sorta') dead topic, BUT:

I'm making about 11psi right now with a Renntech pulley, but I've also got headers on the car. Someone told me that was "normal" (pressure increase from the pulley is offset by the more efficient headers). Is that right or are pulley/header folks seeing more boost than that??
I recall reading an AMG brochure which stated 13psi from the factory.

As to the pulley and header combo, the headers could not play a role in increasing or decreasing the boost psi. Boost is created by the supercharger fed through the intake manifold and into the combustion chamber where it's ignited. After the ignition, the exhaust valve opens for the exhaust to exit and boost plays no role in the exit of the exhaust.

Hope this helps.
Old 07-15-2006, 09:04 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2003 E55 AMG
This is what I know:

Stock boost is 11.6 psi.

Adding headers to the car (depending on the vendor) will drop your boost by 1 - 2 psi. (ie. Evosport is a 1 - 2 psi drop.. Kleemann is a 2 - 3psi drop).

Adding the Evosport crankshaft pulley raises boost +3 psi. I think the Kleemann, Brabus and Carlsson are all the same also. The Hennessey and ASP pullies will generate more boost (+4 I believe) because they are a larger diameter pulley.
Old 07-15-2006, 09:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E 55
Originally Posted by 1mean55
I recall reading an AMG brochure which stated 13psi from the factory.

As to the pulley and header combo, the headers could not play a role in increasing or decreasing the boost psi. Boost is created by the supercharger fed through the intake manifold and into the combustion chamber where it's ignited. After the ignition, the exhaust valve opens for the exhaust to exit and boost plays no role in the exit of the exhaust.

Hope this helps.
The headers do play a role, you have to remember that boost is restriction. When you increase airflow through the engine, ie ported heads,camshafts and headers, your boost will be affected because you are alleviating the restriction.
Old 07-15-2006, 01:43 PM

04 E55
Originally Posted by vrus
This is what I know:

Stock boost is 11.6 psi.

Adding headers to the car (depending on the vendor) will drop your boost by 1 - 2 psi. (ie. Evosport is a 1 - 2 psi drop.. Kleemann is a 2 - 3psi drop).

Adding the Evosport crankshaft pulley raises boost +3 psi. I think the Kleemann, Brabus and Carlsson are all the same also. The Hennessey and ASP pullies will generate more boost (+4 I believe) because they are a larger diameter pulley.

Ok, thanks for the info. Sounds like I'm pretty close to where I need to be. There's probably some belt-slip issues still, but if someone can build a decent tensioner or additional idler setup (both would be nice ) then that should remove any additional losses.
Old 07-15-2006, 04:52 PM

2003 E55 K1
Stock boost info source

Originally Posted by vrus
This is what I know:

Stock boost is 11.6 psi.

Can anyone give me a reliable source for stock boost (2003 E55) that I can show my MB dealer. I am taking car in next week and I believe I am running below average boost since recall of secondary air pump and ECU reflash.

My dealer seems to be clueless when it comes to AMG supercharged cars.

Thanks.
Old 07-15-2006, 04:57 PM

Family Sedan w/5.5 K
Originally Posted by rflow306
The headers do play a role, you have to remember that boost is restriction. When you increase airflow through the engine, ie ported heads,camshafts and headers, your boost will be affected because you are alleviating the restriction.
That's what I love about this site, tons of info. I've never looked at boost in that way, as a measurment of restriction. Learn somthing new every day.