E63, M5 or wait for RS6?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-07-2006, 11:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'08 M5, '10 Land Cruiser
E63, M5 or wait for RS6?

I hope you Merc guys don't see me as an outsider but it just seems you guys are a lot more clued-up than what I've seen at other sites. I had a silver C32 when in London if that helps me! In America my first car was a grey 2002 996TT which I bought used and traded it in in January for a new black S4. I like the understated nature of the S4 but it's a pain to keep clean and I miss having another c.100bhp/100lb ft. Modding isn't an option as I I respect modded stuff but personally like to keep my cars stock. It also bounces over bumps which the RS6 will apparently rectify.

The question is this. Would you buy an E63, M5 or RS6? My least favorite is the M5 as I'm not a fan of SMG having borrowed a friends M3 for a couple of weeks.

What do you guys think? I heard the RS6 will have a twin turbo 5.2 V10 putting out around 550bhp.

I need a car that I can keep for at least four years as I have spent too much on the damn things recently!

I'd really appreciate some input.
Old 07-07-2006, 11:43 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
Ummmm, now let us see.. In an MB forum. You say you don't like the M5, which kills that (it has a few fans here). The Audi has a few (opinionated) fans here, but i think you will see WAAAy mor evotes for the E63. I say get a new '06 E55 before they are gone. it waill be a cliassic IF you can stay the hell out of it and keep it as long as you say.
Old 07-07-2006, 11:48 PM

2009 C63 Black on Black
Thumbs up The RS6 with TT's @ 550 hp

Sounds sweet! I am awaiting an E63 for delivery in August. I was told by my salesman that it's on the dock to be shipped as of today. For me the AMG cars after my E55, based on my personal opinion is the way to go, but to each his own. I am sure you won't be dissapointed with a TT RS6 putting out 550 hp though. The MBZ cars seem a little better appointed in my opinion too. Best of luck whatever way you go. The official release date of the E63 is August 21 from what I am hearing.
Old 07-08-2006, 12:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'08 M5, '10 Land Cruiser
Thanks guys and apologies for all the Qs

Originally Posted by deaguero
Sounds sweet! I am awaiting an E63 for delivery in August. I was told by my salesman that it's on the dock to be shipped as of today. For me the AMG cars after my E55, based on my personal opinion is the way to go, but to each his own. I am sure you won't be dissapointed with a TT RS6 putting out 550 hp though. The MBZ cars seem a little better appointed in my opinion too. Best of luck whatever way you go. The official release date of the E63 is August 21 from what I am hearing.
You're a lucky man Deaguero. What color and options did did you go for? Can't wait until Aug 21- which i didn't know- and see one on the road. I forgot to check your current ride. What is it and why the change?
When you say MBZ cars seem better appointed do you mean have more options? If so, i totally agree. What top Audi's have on the option list is a disgrace, nothing is standard! I love the fit of finish of my car though I reckon all the german brands are fairly close in this regard.

I thought about an E55 Jangy, as i've heard a lot of positive reports about them and love the sound the beast makes. However, I'm not loooking to purchase until fall so probably won't be able to order one with the exact spec I want by then. You know better than me like so let me know if they'll still be about. I realise the 469bhp is to keep SL owners happy but what are the mechanical diffs between the 469bhp and 493bhp 55K engines?

Sorry to be off MB topic but just out of interest how do you guys rate the current S4? How do you feel it stacks up the M3/C55 (I realise it's no match for the class above!)
Old 07-08-2006, 12:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
buy the Audi and enjoy it.... even with the RS6 version... (never heard 5.2 turbo rumor)

it won't be able to keep up..

You see.. AMG is the God of horsepower (soon to release 63 Twin Turbo)

BWM is the God of handling and braking

and Audi RS and Caddy- V and SRT just try to keep up..

Power is not everything, but when its packaged on a luxury sedan with a killer upscale look, improved susspension over the E55, super engine and 7sp AMG box... what else do you need?

If you live on top of a moutain and own a prive road full of s curves and hair pin turns.. buy the M5. For everthing else, the AMG will be perfect.

good luck! and welcome aboard.
Old 07-08-2006, 12:30 AM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Originally Posted by Carl Lassiter
You're a lucky man Deaguero. What color and options did did you go for? Can't wait until Aug 21- which i didn't know- and see one on the road. I forgot to check your current ride. What is it and why the change?
When you say MBZ cars seem better appointed do you mean have more options? If so, i totally agree. What top Audi's have on the option list is a disgrace, nothing is standard! I love the fit of finish of my car though I reckon all the german brands are fairly close in this regard.

I thought about an E55 Jangy, as i've heard a lot of positive reports about them and love the sound the beast makes. However, I'm not loooking to purchase until fall so probably won't be able to order one with the exact spec I want by then. You know better than me like so let me know if they'll still be about. I realise the 469bhp is to keep SL owners happy but what are the mechanical diffs between the 469bhp and 493bhp 55K engines?

Sorry to be off MB topic but just out of interest how do you guys rate the current S4? How do you feel it stacks up the M3/C55 (I realise it's no match for the class above!)
I don't know that there is any diffinitive difference other than MBZ's claims. Most E55s I've seen are pulling on the Sl55s, so go figure.

The E55s are already getting pretty scarse on the west coast. i am sure a few will be left over, but i hate spending this much and just taking whatever is there.

Good luck to ya. I am not an S4 fan. I would rate the class as M3>S4>C55 (sorry guys).
Old 07-08-2006, 12:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'08 M5, '10 Land Cruiser
steady on...

Originally Posted by TopGun32
buy the Audi and enjoy it.... even with the RS6 version... (never heard 5.2 turbo rumor)

it won't be able to keep up..

You see.. AMG is the God of horsepower (soon to release 63 Twin Turbo)

BWM is the God of handling and braking

and Audi RS and Caddy- V and SRT just try to keep up..

Power is not everything, but when its packaged on a luxury sedan with a killer upscale look, improved susspension over the E55, super engine and 7sp AMG box... what else do you need?

If you live on top of a moutain and own a prive road full of s curves and hair pin turns.. buy the M5. For everthing else, the AMG will be perfect.

good luck! and welcome aboard.
Thanks for the welcome Top Gun. I enjoyed reading your posts before I joined, you seem to really know your stuff. However, in my opinion I don't think it's fair to compare Audi to the American brands. I agree AMG is the undoubted king for hp and tq and that BMs certainly make for a lot of fun on the twisties though I heard the twin pot front brakes fade rather too quickly.
The AWD gives Audi's a unique selling point too. It's just I think M, AMG and RS are a very fair match overall and it comes down to personal opinion.

What will the hp tq output of the 63tt be? Sounds immense. It'll be in another price range than the na 63, M5 and RS6 though won't it?

The info from the RS6 is from the 3 main English car magazines- Car, Top Gear and evo- so i'm hoping it's fairly reliable.

Thanks again for the reply mate
Old 07-08-2006, 12:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
06' E55
I believe the difference between the E55 and SL55 is the SL has a less restrictive exhaust but weighs 200 pounds more to negate the HP advantage.
Old 07-08-2006, 12:40 AM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Thanks for the welcome Top Gun. I enjoyed reading your posts before I joined, you seem to really know your stuff. However, in my opinion I don't think it's fair to compare Audi to the American brands. I agree AMG is the undoubted king for hp and tq and that BMs certainly make for a lot of fun on the twisties though I heard the twin pot front brakes fade rather too quickly.
The AWD gives Audi's a unique selling point too. It's just I think M, AMG and RS are a very fair match overall and it comes down to personal opinion.

What will the hp tq output of the 63tt be? Sounds immense. It'll be in another price range than the na 63, M5 and RS6 though won't it?

The info from the RS6 is from the 3 main English car magazines- Car, Top Gear and evo- so i'm hoping it's fairly reliable.

Thanks again for the reply mate
MB has not released ANY info on the 6.3TT. It is a rumor for now.
Old 07-08-2006, 12:41 AM

2009 C63 Black on Black
Thumbs up To Carl Lassiter

Carl: I got the new white (whatever it's called) with the Cashmere interior. I also got the premium package of which I dont' exactly recall everything that it includes. I missed out on the 030 package which includes LSD and a couple of other things but runs around another $10k or so. I really don't think I could have justified the addt'l amount with the wife! As for my current ride, it's an 03 W211 E55 Compressor. The reason for the change is that my lease runs out in 30 days and I wanted to move to the next W211 AMG when it came out. I was hoping that it might be a TT but N/A should be ok until the next body change. Checkout my E55 for sale on the classifieds here at:
https://mbworld.org/forums/classifieds/148650-e55-2003-w211-sale.html
Scroll down to check out the picture that I posted here. Best of luck to you Carl!!
Old 07-08-2006, 12:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'08 M5, '10 Land Cruiser
Originally Posted by jangy
I don't know that there is any diffinitive difference other than MBZ's claims. Most E55s I've seen are pulling on the Sl55s, so go figure.

The E55s are already getting pretty scarse on the west coast. i am sure a few will be left over, but i hate spending this much and just taking whatever is there.

Good luck to ya. I am not an S4 fan. I would rate the class as M3>S4>C55 (sorry guys).
I agree, it's nice to be able to add that personal touch.

I'm sure you're right about the MBZ claims. I saw an E55 mauling a 360 on I5 on route to SF so whatever's in there it's doing the trick. Wasn't you was it!?!

Fair point with the ratings. I too prefer the M3 but just see too many of them on the roads with drivers who seem to have little knowledge of the car they're in. Shame as it's one of my favorite cars. Pleased to see the S4 edged the C55 though!
Old 07-08-2006, 12:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'08 M5, '10 Land Cruiser
Originally Posted by deaguero

Carl: I got the new white (whatever it's called) with the Cashmere interior. I also got the premium package of which I dont' exactly recall everything that it includes. I missed out on the 030 package which includes LSD and a couple of other things but runs around another $10k or so. I really don't think I could have justified the addt'l amount with the wife! As for my current ride, it's an 03 W211 E55 Compressor. The reason for the change is that my lease runs out in 30 days and I wanted to move to the next W211 AMG when it came out. I was hoping that it might be a TT but N/A should be ok until the next body change. Checkout my E55 for sale on the classifieds here at:
https://mbworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=148650
Scroll down to check out the picture that I posted here. Best of luck to you Carl!!
Oh s**t. I wouldn't have bought my S4 if i'd seen that beauty. Stock 55 wheels are quality. It's immaculate, nice work.
Know what you mean about the other half- it's probably good they keep us in check with reality somewhat!
Bet you're counting down the days for the 63, it'll look and feel quite special i'm sure. And yes, i reclon c.510 NA horsepower should tide you over quite nicely!
Congrats.
Old 07-08-2006, 12:57 AM

14 'E550
Originally Posted by TopGun32
and Audi RS and Caddy- V and SRT just try to keep up.
SRT what?

SRT-8 Charger and 300C?

If so, last time I checked those are $43k-$45k cars.

Cool cars, lot of bang for the buck.
Old 07-08-2006, 01:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
I have an 05 S4,bought it for my wife to drive.I rather have a fast 4 door sedan than a coupe so thats one reason we went with the S4 but after time I needed more power,so she drives the S4 and I bought an E55.I was going to get an E63 but wanted a car that had more mod capabilities,so I bought the E55 instead.Both the S4 and the E55 have their sweet spots,too me the S4 handles better but the HP of the E55 is tops.When a TT E63 comes out I'll sell the S4, the wife can drive the E55 and I'll take the TT E63.
Old 07-08-2006, 01:08 AM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Originally Posted by Beltfed
SRT what?

SRT-8 Charger and 300C?

If so, last time I checked those are $43k-$45k cars.

Cool cars, lot of bang for the buck.
The Caddy is $50. Which is banger?
Old 07-08-2006, 01:31 AM
Banned

AMGs
No Caddy please...
Old 07-08-2006, 01:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'08 M5, '10 Land Cruiser
Originally Posted by Jrocket
I have an 05 S4,bought it for my wife to drive.I rather have a fast 4 door sedan than a coupe so thats one reason we went with the S4 but after time I needed more power,so she drives the S4 and I bought an E55.I was going to get an E63 but wanted a car that had more mod capabilities,so I bought the E55 instead.Both the S4 and the E55 have their sweet spots,too me the S4 handles better but the HP of the E55 is tops.When a TT E63 comes out I'll sell the S4, the wife can drive the E55 and I'll take the TT E63.
Nice stable. Interesting comparisson too. S4 is a drivers drive do you find bumps in the rode make it jump? I smashed my head off the headliner cornering on the freeway the other day. Never happened with the 996
Old 07-08-2006, 02:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
12' C63 P31, 06' Supercharged Range, 08' BMW 550i
You traded in a 996 TT for a S4??????
Old 07-08-2006, 02:32 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
E55 Ftw!
Old 07-08-2006, 02:39 AM
Almost a Member!

M5, R1
I went from E55 to M5 and it's impossible to say whos the winner. I rather say different strokes for different folks.

//Kleiv.
Old 07-08-2006, 02:42 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Kind of if you like men, or women.
Old 07-08-2006, 03:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG
m5 = no torque

Rs6 = AWD will kill power in higher speed

e63!
Old 07-08-2006, 03:25 AM

2005 e55
I hope you Merc guys don't see me as an outsider but it just seems you guys are a lot more clued-up than what I've seen at other sites. I had a silver C32 when in London if that helps me! In America my first car was a grey 2002 996TT which I bought used and traded it in in January for a new black S4. I like the understated nature of the S4 but it's a pain to keep clean and I miss having another c.100bhp/100lb ft. Modding isn't an option as I I respect modded stuff but personally like to keep my cars stock. It also bounces over bumps which the RS6 will apparently rectify.

The question is this. Would you buy an E63, M5 or RS6? My least favorite is the M5 as I'm not a fan of SMG having borrowed a friends M3 for a couple of weeks.

What do you guys think? I heard the RS6 will have a twin turbo 5.2 V10 putting out around 550bhp.

I need a car that I can keep for at least four years as I have spent too much on the damn things recently!

I'd really appreciate some input.
e63,audi's are too heavy and slow.
Old 07-08-2006, 04:17 AM
ON PROBATION

E63 or RS6 - drive both and decide which one you like better.

I would evaluate on powertrain, handling, brakes, features, interior finish and room....

I was hoping that the new M5 would finally make me own another BMW - nope.

The RS6 might make me consider owning an Audi again - especially if I needed the AWD due to winter road conditions where I might have it.

It is just so hard to beat what MBZ is putting out now across the model range -- they really are great cars in so many ways.

And of course, the AMG E- is one of their best.
Old 07-08-2006, 10:40 AM

14 'E550
The CTS-V is $50k, small sedan....but is only offered in a manual, outgoing design after 07.

For a large 4dr, the SRT-8 sedans are hard to beat for the $. If you're looking for a powerful V8 sedan anyway.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: E63, M5 or wait for RS6?