Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-12-2006, 04:37 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
E55 Front Suspension??

Hi all,
First, has anyone considered modifying the plate that is indicated by the #1 in the pic? The pic doesn't show it, but the piece is actually bolted in place. I was considering fabricating a replacement to change camber. Any thoughts??

p.s., I understand none of you want to be the R&D crew, I have plenty of cars for that (not mine, hehe). I just wanted feedback on the concept.

Second thing is has anyone tried to lower the front by moving the sensor link from the hole that it is in to one that is closer to the center (see #2 in pic).

It definitely lowers the sensor position, but I did not try it YET!!

Lastly, for those that have lowered via washer method. One thing that may be worth noting is that the bolt in question is tappered and the nut is oval threaded. That means that if the bolt is not wedged all the way down, there is a HUGE chance of it letting go even if there is locktite, etc.

Be safe folks, just a thought that I never considered. I am no longer a washer boy (got scared).
thx

Last edited by jangy; 08-06-2006 at 12:50 PM.
Old 07-13-2006, 05:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2017 S63 Coupe Iridium Silver
Originally Posted by jangy
Hi all,
First, has anyone considered modifying the plate that is indicated by the #1 in the pic? The pic doesn't show it, but the piece is actually bolted in place. I was considering fabricating a replacement to change camber. Any thoughts??

p.s., I understand none of you want to be the R&D crew, I have plenty of cars for that (not mine, hehe). I just wanted feedback on the concept.

Second thing is has anyone tried to lower the front by moving the sensor link from the hole that it is in to one that is closer to the center (see #2 in pic).

It definitely lowers the sensor position, but I did not try it YET!!

Lastly, for those that have lowered via washer method. One thing that may be worth noting is that the bolt in question is tappered and the nut is oval threaded. That means that if the bolt is not wedged all the way down, there is a HUGE chance of it letting go even if there is locktite, etc.

Be safe folks, just a thought that I never considered. I am no longer a washer boy (got scared).
thx
My 2005 suspension looks different. At#1 I have a "U-shaped" end with THREE bolts not one. There are no issues with the sensor and no tapered bolts with oval nuts (peanuts?). just a straight forward bolt that is too long and can be shortened with four washers and still leave enough thread to tighten the nut.
Is this diagram current +2005 model? Have you actually compared it to your car's suspension? I am wondering why mine is so different?
Old 07-13-2006, 10:29 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
Originally Posted by Rafal
My 2005 suspension looks different. At#1 I have a "U-shaped" end with THREE bolts not one. There are no issues with the sensor and no tapered bolts with oval nuts (peanuts?). just a straight forward bolt that is too long and can be shortened with four washers and still leave enough thread to tighten the nut.
Is this diagram current +2005 model? Have you actually compared it to your car's suspension? I am wondering why mine is so different?
Hey Rafal...no that is just a generic pic I used to show the areas I was speaking of.

First, the "U-shaped" end is exacttly the piece I speak of. Imagine replacing it with one that holds the top joint in a little deeper, to add negative camber. Just curious if it would work. I am having some made as we type.

As for the screw. Please take it off and take a good look at the screw and the bolt. I promise you it is NOT a straight guage bolt. Look at the openning in the nut and you will see the oval shape I speak of. Also, thread the nut on and see how much it wiggles, until you get it deep on the threads. It is actually wedging it into place. That design is actually supposed to be stronger than even nuts that have teflon in them, and it is used in case of a crash. A good hit and the few threads holding on will easily strip. It was just a personal observation, but I really recommend you check it out. I am not saying that it can not be "fixed" or anything, I am just saying that the fix should be a strong one as the OEM way is to wedge metal on metal. I would personally even be scared of running it with glue.