Sponsored by:

*** $1,500 CF Airbox with HP benefits ***

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-09-2006, 08:48 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2003 E55 AMG
Ok guys... We could at least START by doing the top part, and a set of intake tubes.. and then, as Phase II we can do the bottom boxes if everyone wants to keep pushing forward.. And we could do the engine cover at any time.. All I have to do is give him my engine cover and he'll make the mold from it.

Benzo: If you want to jump in with us, send $206USD via paypal to: vrus1@hotmail.com. If you dont have Paypal PM me and I'll send you wire instructions or mailing instructions.. Whichever you prefer.

Also, welcome to our newest member of the R&D Group: Akara1

Payment Status
-------------------

Total Participants: 32
Total Paid: 30

2MANYCARS ....................... $206.00 RECEIVED
Akara1 ....................... $206.00 RECEIVED
Apple '55 ....................... $206.00 RECEIVED
bfnnrgn ....................... $206.00 RECEIVED
catalystkid ....................... $206.00 RECEIVED
DocStone .......................
dsc ....................... $206.00 RECEIVED
e55 baller ....................... $206.00 RECEIVED
e55 killer ....................... $206.00 RECEIVED
efivefive ....................... $206.00 RECEIVED
ENDSMTG ....................... $206.00 RECEIVED
Fleebee ....................... $206.00 RECEIVED
Griffin337 ....................... $206.00 RECEIVED
GTA23109a .......................$206.00 RECEIVED
Jakpro1 .......................$206.00 RECEIVED
Jangy ....................... $206.00 RECEIVED
JAY55 ....................... $206.00 RECEIVED
jparch ....................... $200.00 RECEIVED (CASH)
KEE55AMG .......................
Kens-E55 ....................... $206.00 RECEIVED
Kev04C320 ....................... $206.00 RECEIVED
Loren ....................... $206.00 RECEIVED
M5KILLR ....................... $206.00 RECEIVED
MACHC5 ....................... $206.00 RECEIVED
Mad TKD ....................... $206.00 RECEIVED
mstenberg ....................... $206.00 RECEIVED
oblax4 ....................... $206.00 RECEIVED
rboorgu .......................$206.00 RECEIVED
Rock ....................... $200.00 RECEIVED (WIRED)
stevebez ....................... $206.00 RECEIVED
vader ....................... $206.00 RECEIVED
W211E55 ....................... $206.00 RECEIVED
Old 08-09-2006, 08:56 PM
Banned

2003 E55 AMG
Nicely said.. Thank you!

I especially like your closing line.

"Besides Renntech, Kleeman and any other aftermarket company you name started out the same way this did - an idea born of determination, imagination, and the quest for something better"

Originally Posted by Ghostrider
Ricky is right. I don't have an E55 but have followed this topic as well as Vrus' other two threads since they started. Why? Because this is how great things happen, and how people can come together for the betterment of something we all enjoy. Vrus has even offered to help me with an idea I have for my car.

To often people try to get us off of our game by whatever means, but we can't let them. Besides Renntech, Kleeman and any other aftermarket company you name started out the same way this did - an idea born of determination, imagination, and the quest for something better.

Ever Forward...

-Ghost
Old 08-09-2006, 09:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK63 Black, E350 Wagon, Supercharged Denali, Lotus Elise, Tesla Model 3 Dual-Motor.
Top portion only
Old 08-09-2006, 09:08 PM
Administrator

Received 514 Likes on 111 Posts
Drives Slowly
Originally Posted by GTA23109a
My vote, as always, is to go with what will make the most power. If we're going to be leaving power on the table by just doing the upper box and leaving the lower and tubes stock, then it's not worth it to me. I'd like to see a total solution. That being said, I'm in either way for the R&D portion regardless of what the majority decides.
This is the kind of guy you want on your team.....results driven...............................Sweeeeeeeeet! !!!!!

I am of the same mindset but!!!!!!!!!!................. let's consider the premise that started this interesting exercise. A "$1,500 CF Air-box with Hp benefits" would be developed to give 55 owners a very nice performance upgrade at a reasonable price.

Unfortunately, I think you will lose a significant number of people if you push the $2,500+ mark for this box. I would think that it would be best to pursue the original goal. If that is not possible.............. well, it's time for the following thread: A "$3,000.00 CF Air-box with HP benefits (yes!! It includes the upper and lower boxes)".

Thanks Victor!!

PS I will send a check for the TB
Old 08-09-2006, 09:15 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Sold
I also think that part of the allure of this air box is the cost. Like you said, a 2 stage plan may be best for those interested in maximum performance at any cost.
Old 08-09-2006, 09:23 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
I have a question about all these molds. Who keeps em in the end? It seems to me that there is a potential to make more and sell them after this initial round. Does the current vendor you are working with get to keep them? If so, they aren't willing to cut us any deal?

Business aside, I am glad we are done talking of RENN's box and my vote is to go for the POWER!! I am down to pay $2500 for a SLAMMING unit or go for just the top right now. One request I do have if we only go with the top is to keep options open so we can continue to improve and not have to replace, per say. I'd hate to spend $1500 and want Phase II in a year. As long as the initial is a part of the final, I am down. Actually, I'm in either way.

VRUS, dunno if you want to complicate this thread any more, so could you start a new one with respect to the TB and all, so those of us interested can go ahead and get it? I am sure that the TB will be limiting, even when the box is done.
Old 08-09-2006, 09:28 PM

'10 E63 AMG
Top and Tubes!
Old 08-09-2006, 09:38 PM
Banned

2003 E55 AMG
Thanks guys!! So far, it looks like you are all rowing in the same direction.. As soon as the other 25 guys respond, we'll know which way to go.. LOL.. We are quite the big group..

Jangy,

Yeah.. I am talking with them about that also.. They are paying for the tooling now.. We are paying for the mold.. We are supplying the car for fitment (mine).. So far the arrangement I have with them is that they cannot sell this unit until we are done with it on our end. Once our market of people has been saturated they will go ahead and have it as part of their inventory..

Mind you, we can also sign a piece of paper that says we own everything, but of course, the price is higher at that point and we have to pay for 100% of the costs to get it to market.

If enough people are interested and you guys want us to own all the intellectual property and the molds, I can bring it up at the meeting and see if we can co-own it or solely own it and what that would take.

As for TB.. There is already a separate thread! There are 8 kits being developed right now (Rock was the last one purchased).. If you want one, look at the last page of that thread.. it has the payment instructions.. I'll order another set of parts for you. There were only 25 of these things left in the world and I've taken 8 of them so far so there are 17 left..

My parts guy said all 25 were on hold for me, so even if Renntech or Kleemann wanted one, they wouldnt be able to buy one right now..

Originally Posted by jangy
I have a question about all these molds. Who keeps em in the end? It seems to me that there is a potential to make more and sell them after this initial round. Does the current vendor you are working with get to keep them? If so, they aren't willing to cut us any deal?

Business aside, I am glad we are done talking of RENN's box and my vote is to go for the POWER!! I am down to pay $2500 for a SLAMMING unit or go for just the top right now. One request I do have if we only go with the top is to keep options open so we can continue to improve and not have to replace, per say. I'd hate to spend $1500 and want Phase II in a year. As long as the initial is a part of the final, I am down. Actually, I'm in either way.

VRUS, dunno if you want to complicate this thread any more, so could you start a new one with respect to the TB and all, so those of us interested can go ahead and get it? I am sure that the TB will be limiting, even when the box is done.
Old 08-10-2006, 12:26 AM

S211 AMG
My vote is for the top and bottom components. The way I see it is at double the attempted price it's still nearly $800 short of the renntech box.

That being said, I will gladly go with the masses...
Old 08-10-2006, 01:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2004 E55
VRUS:

If your guy can do enough testing to prove that enlarged tops will produce the airflow/power increase we want then my vote is for

Tops and Tubes

On a side note: ??-Suppose we all agree to 5 molds @ 457 each--can your guy give us a solid quote for the entire set-up being CF? If we could have a significant larger intake system for say 2500-2700 complete, I'm sure many would consider it--hence my ?

for now though-- Tops and Tubes

Thanks
Old 08-10-2006, 02:19 AM

05E55
Victor,

Not to throw a wrench in the project, but have you considered making a funnel type box with a flat panel filter on top/behind the tb? The panel filter would lay flat against the hood with a u shaped seal opening towards the vent on the top of the hood for fresh air. This would reduce the size of the box, make room for slr intercoolers, get rid of the intake tubes that sit on top of the headers (oven), do away with the y pipe and would alow high pressure cold air for the intake. I know it might not look pretty (sort of like a wrx intercooler) but it could be very effective. Just a thought.
Old 08-10-2006, 08:26 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2005 E55
L8Apex

Not a bad thought. Waiting for Grumpy to give his thoughts.

BTW, and I apologize for drifting off topic, but I looked at your memorial to "Pipes". I served in the same unit, 1st Battaloin, 7th Special Forces Group. I wish him peace and he was one of America's best, for sure.
Old 08-10-2006, 09:21 AM

K3 05 E55 sold, 09 GL550
Complete top kit, air intake tubes and Y Pipe
Old 08-10-2006, 09:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

BMW E39
Originally Posted by L8Apex
Victor,

Not to throw a wrench in the project, but have you considered making a funnel type box with a flat panel filter on top/behind the tb? The panel filter would lay flat against the hood with a u shaped seal opening towards the vent on the top of the hood for fresh air. This would reduce the size of the box, make room for slr intercoolers, get rid of the intake tubes that sit on top of the headers (oven), do away with the y pipe and would alow high pressure cold air for the intake. I know it might not look pretty (sort of like a wrx intercooler) but it could be very effective. Just a thought.
I thought that idea was previously discussed a few pages back. Still an interesting idea though.
Old 08-10-2006, 09:52 AM
Banned

2003 E55 AMG
Hi Ken,

I am trying to nail down some solid figures but he wants to concentrate on the main airbox right now and not worry about air tubes or engine cover. I think it's best because the airbox is the most important part. For that, I stipulated that we HAVE to be in the $1500 range..

Since the airbox isnt going to produce a big amount of power (Renntech says 15-20hp at the crank) I dont want to put the price up above $2,000 for it because to me it isnt worth it. Now.. if we can get airboxes and air tubes for $2,000 that's a whole different story.

Originally Posted by Kens-E55
VRUS:

If your guy can do enough testing to prove that enlarged tops will produce the airflow/power increase we want then my vote is for

Tops and Tubes

On a side note: ??-Suppose we all agree to 5 molds @ 457 each--can your guy give us a solid quote for the entire set-up being CF? If we could have a significant larger intake system for say 2500-2700 complete, I'm sure many would consider it--hence my ?

for now though-- Tops and Tubes

Thanks
Rob,

Yup.. I put pictures up of a design I was working on .. It was what the Sulayem performance group did when they put the SLR engine into the E55.. Have a look 1 or 2 pages back..

I dont think the majority of people are going to go full out and rip apart their engines to put SLR intercoolers in there, so designing this CF airbox for the masses is the most important aspect.

Once I am done with this airbox I may get the guys to work on something else for me which will accommodate what you are suggesting.
Originally Posted by L8Apex
Victor,

Old 08-10-2006, 10:23 AM
dsc

2004 E55
I vote for Top and Tubes. Will it still be convertable from the 74 mm TB to the 80mm TB?
Old 08-10-2006, 10:27 AM
Banned

2003 E55 AMG
There is no discussion on that part.. I am making the output pipe 80mm.. It will either be a hard connect directly from CF outlet directly ontop of TB, or to keep the tube design a little simpler, I may just cut it 1" short and supply a piece of black silicon tube and 2 clamps to secure it to the TB.

Guys that are still running stock 74mm TB will still be able to connect up with the same silicon adapter. This way it is generic enough to work for both, but, optimized to run at the full bore.

Originally Posted by dsc
I vote for Top and Tubes. Will it still be convertable from the 74 mm TB to the 80mm TB?
Old 08-10-2006, 12:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'09 911 C4S
Tops and Tubes

Full 2 Stage!
Old 08-10-2006, 02:24 PM

'08 S65, '04 Range Rover(The House), '06 Lexus GS 300(Wifey's), '02 Sea Ray 360 Sundancer
Tops and Tubes!
Old 08-11-2006, 09:44 AM
Banned

2003 E55 AMG
I am moving forward with Tops & tubes.. Those that haven't responded.. if there is a major issue and they want out, I'll just refund the money.

We can look at this as Stage I.. Once this is complete, and once everyone has received the first component, we can decide if we should start up again and go for Stage II and tackle the bottom boxes or engine cover.
Old 08-11-2006, 11:46 AM
Administrator

Received 514 Likes on 111 Posts
Drives Slowly
Victor told me that anyone that drops out of this project will be subject to unrelenting Internet ridicule as well as emotional abuse. I think he may even post a "sticky" with personal information (Home address, work number, credit card information and sexual orientation).
Old 08-11-2006, 11:53 AM
Banned

2003 E55 AMG
hahahha.. Dave.. You are gonna get me in trouble!

Guys: Dave's only kidding!! ... Well about the home address, work number, and credit card information anyways...

The internet ridicule, emotional abuse and sexual orientation bit might just be stickied!!!!

Originally Posted by Rock
Victor told me that anyone that drops out of this project will be subject to unrelenting Internet ridicule as well as emotional abuse. I think he may even post a "sticky" with personal information (Home address, work number, credit card information and sexual orientation).
Old 08-11-2006, 07:54 PM

E55 AMG
tops and tubes is cool!!

sorry for the late reply!
Old 08-11-2006, 10:44 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
I'm down for whatever you decide. you are running this so do as you think best.
Old 08-14-2006, 08:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
No longer stock '06 E55, A3 3.2 Quattro, LRD4 HSE, R107 280SL
Been away for a while - how are things moving along?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: *** $1,500 CF Airbox with HP benefits ***