AI Design: Audio Install Debacle

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-30-2006, 11:42 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
Originally Posted by MB_Steve
AI Design installed my radar detector and my stereo system a week after I purchased my car. If I said I was happy with their service, it would be an understatement. In my opinion, they are one of the best in the NY area. Especially when it comes to installing stereo upgrades and radar detectors for these cars. They have done a lot of this type of work on MBs.

Their shop is immaculate and I think they do top rate work. I was very impressed with my stereo upgrade. I had 4 Focal speakers installed with a JL Audio sub and 1 Audison amp. The stock stereo is a piece of crap in my opinion. (And I say that because a buddy of mine bought an M5 around the same time that I purchased my car and his stock stereo sounded light years better than my stock stereo.) I am extremely pleased with the sound quality of my new stereo.

Matt and Rotex I am very sorry to hear about your problems. I do not think that this 1 experience is representative of AI Design's workmanship at all. They have done a lot of installs, not just on MBs, and this is the first issue that I am aware of. There are 2 sides to every story and the only people that know what truly happened are AI Design and Rotex.

Nobody denies that they have great facilities and ABILITIES. The problem seems to be in their ATTITUDE. Having a shop that is clean and full of $$ is no excuse to forget who pays the bills. The fact that they treat a single customer in that manner is enough for me. I would never play russian roulette just because 5 guys walked away, since it is the sixth that I'm worried about. In this scenario, I am an avid fan of consumer power. If one gets screwd, we all band together. If they do not want the business, somebody else will. Trust me. Tuning shops are a dime a dozen. The only way you last is to have good customer service.
As for your both sides comment, actually we have here an opportunity for both. Read Rotex's comments and note that they are simply stating his experience and concerns. Then read Matt AI's comments and they are simply either inflammatory towards Rotex or subjective at best. Aside from threatening a member and implying that his concerns are his own issues, there was no sign of giving a rats ****. If that in and of itself does not make you wonder, you should go look in the mirror. Is having a steroe that is better than the M5 really worth your dignity?
Old 07-30-2006, 11:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
04 E55
Nothing worse than walking away from an expensive project feeling like you got hosed. Hope they work it out.
Old 07-30-2006, 12:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
Originally Posted by jangy
Nobody denies that they have great facilities and ABILITIES. The problem seems to be in their ATTITUDE. Having a shop that is clean and full of $$ is no excuse to forget who pays the bills. The fact that they treat a single customer in that manner is enough for me. I would never play russian roulette just because 5 guys walked away, since it is the sixth that I'm worried about. In this scenario, I am an avid fan of consumer power. If one gets screwd, we all band together. If they do not want the business, somebody else will. Trust me. Tuning shops are a dime a dozen. The only way you last is to have good customer service.
As for your both sides comment, actually we have here an opportunity for both. Read Rotex's comments and note that they are simply stating his experience and concerns. Then read Matt AI's comments and they are simply either inflammatory towards Rotex or subjective at best. Aside from threatening a member and implying that his concerns are his own issues, there was no sign of giving a rats ****. If that in and of itself does not make you wonder, you should go look in the mirror. Is having a steroe that is better than the M5 really worth your dignity?
???? All I am saying is that I am very pleased with the service that they provided me. They were cordial to me when I dropped my car off and when I picked it up. I can only comment on my own experiences. I have plenty of dignitiy, and had the service not been A+, I would say so and I would not have posted my earlier comment.
Old 07-30-2006, 12:50 PM

E55
get it right Mike - one chance

What's to be added to this discussion? I think the forum members as usual have been very straight forward and pragmatic. Several of us are in roles that relate directly to customers - we know the issue at hand. MAtt at AI Designs listen up man...

I want to re-enforce the attitude angle both in the events AND solution.

When a customer feels this way, it isn't a random event. He went in to this with great hopes, even enthusiasm for the job, knew the price and was content to pay it - so something happened.... Rotex has described exactly (in his view) what that something was.

The response from AI Matt was tepid and lame; was there a threat in there too, well yes to me it seemed as if that was intended. Also there was a complete lack of data or explanation... so contrast this attitude with Rotex's. BTW a threat is useless Matt - if a customer ACTUALLY defames you then go ahead and sue - its your right. But to talk as if he almost has says only one thing...he touched a nerve and felt he had to to get a response. I know not evert customer is right but threatening even one certainly isn't!

Contrast - the AI folks (Matt) expected a regular customer visit, and a normal (for them but substantial it seems to me) fee of around $15K - then instead they see this customer upset and going to forum. Is he just imagining this or is it real? (well check the work...was it as bad as Rotex described? If so the arrow points at AI Design doesn't it?)

If even one of these faults is real (and it seems they are) - then the service was not up to AI Design standards (at least its reputed standards). "AI Matt" you had best fix this....this will not get better until you do.

You have one good chance here - if you respond again defensively (forget aggresively threatening) you lose big time....if you take the chance given to prove that AI Design is a cut above the rest you can prosper and yes even gain from this. (for an example of doing this right see Cory at Kleemen when the customer there did not get what he felt he had purchased, search this forum)

It takes guts and some money but its the right thing - just take this problem by the horns - make Rotex whole again and ask him to post the NEW experience here for all to see. Now that would be a turn around and the stuff customer service legends are made of. It will be the lowest cost in the end, and the best return on money spent (lawyers certanly won't be)

It will cost you something more than money and I suspect its this that's hardest, it will cost some pride but you will gain far more than you lose, you gain in reputation. The stuff large companies DREAM of being able to get. Most companies would pay gladdly for the opportunity to be seen in a positive light in exactly the market place they serve - you have that opportunity right now my friend...what are you going to do with it?

If the cost hurts you just think of it this way...regard this as part of the advertising budget.

If you do it right you just might find the best advertising ever...right here!

Its up to you. Good or bad ?

One last Q. What's the cost of NOT doing this??

SS3E55

Last edited by SS3E55; 07-30-2006 at 12:58 PM.
Old 07-30-2006, 01:15 PM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
???? All I am saying is that I am very pleased with the service that they provided me. They were cordial to me when I dropped my car off and when I picked it up. I can only comment on my own experiences. I have plenty of dignitiy, and had the service not been A+, I would say so and I would not have posted my earlier comment.
I'm not attacking you. Glad you had a great experience. I just didn't see how MB's horrid stereos, or AI's abilities relate to this issue of customer service? I didn't even understand until you replied that you did indeed feel that you got good SERVICE. You did not speak to that in your original post. the other issue I had was your saying that there are two sides, when BOTH sides have had a chance to air their voices here and I DID NOT appreciate AI's response. That simple. Notice I was not in this until MATT AI replied and that is what peeved me off.
I have no issue with you or your experience. But, it doesn't make their attitude acceptable. They are NOT the only place where you can get a decent stereo upgrade for your car, so why would they act that way and get away with it?
Old 07-30-2006, 03:38 PM

What type of problem did you have with your install?
Old 07-30-2006, 10:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
Originally Posted by Grumpy666
What type of problem did you have with your install?
NONE! Very happy with my install...
Old 07-30-2006, 11:06 PM

NONE! Very happy with my install...
Yeah, that's what I read based on your previous posts. In all fairness, you really haven't had to interface with their customer service like the other two posters. There's a big difference between the service you receive when you step through the door and lay your money down compared to the service you receive after you lay your money down and there's a problem. The latter is the one that really counts.

I have no doubts that AI does good work, but problems do and will occur. Not all workers have the same skill level and I doubt the more inexperiened works are monitored 100% of the time. And there are always training issues. It's how a company reacts to customer complaints that defines customer service. From what I've gleened from this thread, it appears that AI is lacking in that department. And based on the owner's nebulous, non-responsive post, I see no evidence that it is not the case.
Old 07-30-2006, 11:12 PM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Originally Posted by Grumpy666
Yeah, that's what I read based on your previous posts. In all fairness, you really haven't had to interface with their customer service like the other two posters. There's a big difference between the service you receive when you step through the door and lay your money down compared to the service you receive after you lay your money down and there's a problem. The latter is the one that really counts.

I have no doubts that AI does good work, but problems do and will occur. Not all workers have the same skill level and I doubt the more inexperiened works are monitored 100% of the time. And there are always training issues. It's how a company reacts to customer complaints that defines customer service. From what I've gleened from this thread, it appears that AI is lacking in that department. And based on the owner's nebulous, non-responsive post, I see no evidence that it is not the case.

You got it tight Grump. That is how it seems. Sad but true. Perhaps members could post alternative shops to spend our $15K at instead?
Old 07-31-2006, 07:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2000 W210 E55->2003 R230 SL500->2004 W211 E55->2007 997TT+2007 E63->2010 GLK350->2012 E550 4matic
Thumbs down AI Design

Originally Posted by Hook
I had never intended to post the following information about my negative experience with AI Design, but I feel obliged to now, since the discussion has been opened.

I went to AI Design a few months ago to have them install the V1 radar detector w/ etched mirror display & a hands-free Bluetooth phone car kit. I dropped the car off in the morning & headed into NYC for the day. They were very cordial in the morning & I had no reason to suspect there would be any problems in customer service or installations.

I got back in the early evening to pick up the car. They showed me how to work the systems & I thought all was goodness. After that, things went downhill quickly.

When I was going to pay, they had trouble with their computer billing system. Now I work with computers so I understand they can be a pain in the butt. While they tried to work it out, I stood for at least 45 minutes waiting. At no time did anyone apologize or even acknowledge me. One of the co-owenrs walked into the office while this was going on, saw there was a problem, sat down at his desk & ignored me completely.

I know I only dropped $5K there that day, but I still expected to be treated with some amount of courtesy. To be honest, it made me feel like a piece of crap to be treated that way.

As I started using the hands-free car kit I realized that (i) it did not automatically mute the audio system when a call came in or I made a call. I knew the kit had this capability so I emailed them to see why they hadn't implemented this capability. In addition, the system did not use the car's speakers.

The person I spoke to (I forget his name, but he was a co-owner) told me that neither of these functions could be implemented with the E55 audio system. I was suspicious, so I went off to do some Internet research & became convinced that both WERE possible.

I contacted them again & this time spoke on the phone to the co-owner. He told me again that this was not possible & that their installer (i) had advanced training in MB audio systems, & (ii) had spoken directly to someone at MB about this. He assured me again that what I wanted was not possible.

To cut to the chase, I went to a local audio installer who spent about 30 minutes & charged me $50 to use the car's speakers & make muting work perfectly with the hands-free car kit.

I have to admit that the V1 install works wonderfully & is a thing of beauty. Nonetheless, I wil not use AI Design again. Sometime in the next few monmths I am looking at new wheels/tires & an exhaust system I will find someone else to do this work.

--
Hook
Wow, thanks for sharing.
Old 07-31-2006, 08:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
R35 GT-R, EvoX
Although I was only getting my exhaust installed, I found AI Design's quality to be top notch and I was totally amazed at the projects they were working on. One of them was turning an S600 into a S65, one was P-Diddy's truck, I saw 2 Kleeman CLK's, a custom wide-body Porsche Turbo, custom BMW 850, a stretched E55 Brabus, a bio-truck, and to top it off a 1000hp Skyline GTR. And that is just what I remember. I was very impressed and found they were real cool in there, they even turned on the Kleeman CLK and Skyline GTR and revved it for me. I had a great experience and am very sorry to hear about yours. They are very expensive though, so if money is an issue, go somewhere else.
Old 07-31-2006, 11:09 PM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Originally Posted by ItalianStallion
Although I was only getting my exhaust installed, I found AI Design's quality to be top notch and I was totally amazed at the projects they were working on. One of them was turning an S600 into a S65, one was P-Diddy's truck, I saw 2 Kleeman CLK's, a custom wide-body Porsche Turbo, custom BMW 850, a stretched E55 Brabus, a bio-truck, and to top it off a 1000hp Skyline GTR. And that is just what I remember. I was very impressed and found they were real cool in there, they even turned on the Kleeman CLK and Skyline GTR and revved it for me. I had a great experience and am very sorry to hear about yours. They are very expensive though, so if money is an issue, go somewhere else.
I'd be pissed if they cranked and mashed on my car, while they are supposed to be working on it. Also, expense isn't the issue. problem resolution is. I guess it sounds like you were lucky.
Old 08-01-2006, 04:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2000 W210 E55->2003 R230 SL500->2004 W211 E55->2007 997TT+2007 E63->2010 GLK350->2012 E550 4matic
It's unfortunate even the owners are so unhelpful. Auto mute when a call comes in is not exactly rocket science and it's too bad that they become so defensive without bothering to investigate for the customer, after he has paid.

Customer care means more than a clean shop and expensive cars to work on. Many of these expensive car owners may have very low standard and expectation, as far as I'm concerned.
Old 08-01-2006, 06:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'09 911 C4S
Originally Posted by W210
Customer care means more than a clean shop and expensive cars to work on. Many of these expensive car owners may have very low standard and expectation, as far as I'm concerned.
I totally agree with you on this one.
Old 08-01-2006, 07:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2007 M5, 2004 X3 3.0i
I too have considered using AI for the valentine install, and was thinking about doing a sytem through them as well. After reading the above, I think I will re-consider and only let them do the valentine install when I get my new car.

I used to be very into the car audio thing a while back so I might be out of date, but I think they could have selected better equipment for that price. Not sure what the breakdown was, but did you listen to the selected equipment before you requested it be installed in the car? Back in the day nothing other htan dynaudio or MBQuart Q's would go in my car...both of which are top notch, but have different qualities.

If you are still unhappy with your audio install, maybe you should check out Mobile Innovations in NJ. I have heard good things, but have no personal experience with them. There was another place in Long Island, but I cant recall right now.

In any case, I hate seeing someone spend that kind of money and get this back for service. I am also in the service industry, but there has to be something done to promote repeat business, as we dont keep our vehicles forever.
Old 08-01-2006, 09:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS 55 AMG
AI in tuckahoe? Anybody ever had any performance upgrades by them? Was considering taking my whip over there for da K2
Old 08-01-2006, 10:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'07 Porsche 997TT
Originally Posted by Bipasha493
AI in tuckahoe? Anybody ever had any performance upgrades by them? Was considering taking my whip over there for da K2
Yep, that's the one. FWIW RPM Racing on Long Island did my K2 install and I was very happy with them.
Old 08-01-2006, 12:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
R35 GT-R, EvoX
I spoke to them about EvoSport, they said they don't like using them. I think it was Chris who told me the only tuner companies for Benzes they really deal with are Brabus and Kleeman, they don't think the others are high enough quality (including RennTech). But there Kleeman cars were realll nice, if it weren't for the price I'd let them Kleemanize my car in a heartbeat.